DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Alternating focus/zoom malfunction (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/116135-alternating-focus-zoom-malfunction.html)

Todd Moore March 2nd, 2008 03:43 AM

Alternating focus/zoom malfunction

I did about 4hrs test shooting with my new EX1 over 3 days. Then suddenly the servo zoom stopped working. Turned the camera off then back on, all was good until I realised that I could not change the focus. After trying everything including a reset, the problem persisted. If the focus worked then the zoom wouldn't or would only zoom one way and if the zoom worked then the focus wouldn't. I sent it off for a replacement and await a new one.
I was hoping someone could maybe explain what may have been the problem and the relationship between the two (focus and Zoom)

Greg Voevodsky March 2nd, 2008 06:01 PM

Zoom switch under camera... on/off

Don't worry. There is a hidden zoom switch under the @#$ camera which one can bump when putting onto a tripod, etc. I did the same thing. Too many hidden switches on this thing.

As for the focus - you many have again knocked the focus ring from AF to Manual.

Ross Herewini March 2nd, 2008 07:59 PM

Had the same problem mid - shoot. Could not solve it and camera was replaced. Seems you and I are the only ones lucky enough to have had this problem.

I did find that whatever focal length was selected when the camera was turned on it would focus for that. So I set it wide turned on and tried not to touch the focus. The focus would not work manually, but if it was set on auto I could just get it to go out of focus enough to stuff up my shots.

Todd Moore March 3rd, 2008 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross Herewini (Post 836424)
Had the same problem mid - shoot. Could not solve it and camera was replaced. Seems you and I are the only ones lucky enough to have had this problem.

I did find that whatever focal length was selected when the camera was turned on it would focus for that. So I set it wide turned on and tried not to touch the focus. The focus would not work manually, but if it was set on auto I could just get it to go out of focus enough to stuff up my shots.

Yes Ross we were unlucky.
My camera would not even auto focus.
Just got off the phone with a guy from Sony. Due to a miss communication they only checked the zoom and of course it worked so I had to give them a call and tell them to check the focus. They found that it did not work and have agreed to a replacement. He said that they had not had any others with this problem.

He said he could not tell me of any relationship between the zoom and the focus...mmmmmm Could I have been so unlucky to have two things go at once. I doubt it.
I would like to know?????

Ross Herewini March 3rd, 2008 06:03 AM

Hi Todd,

Just to clarify, my camera would only focus in auto mode for the second it started. After that no auto focus. Also no manual focus.

Zoom would go in but not out. Turn off. Now out not in. Or sometimes it would just crawl in and out. At least manual zoom worked!

I was very unnerved by the behaviour, enough to wander if I had made the right decision.

Tell your Sony guy to contact BRE here in Sydney if they want to know about someone else having the same experience.

Say the Serial No on my first camera was 20000052.

Todd Moore March 3rd, 2008 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross Herewini (Post 836572)
Hi Todd,

Just to clarify, my camera would only focus in auto mode for the second it started. After that no auto focus. Also no manual focus.

Zoom would go in but not out. Turn off. Now out not in. Or sometimes it would just crawl in and out. At least manual zoom worked!

I was very unnerved by the behaviour, enough to wander if I had made the right decision.

Tell your Sony guy to contact BRE here in Sydney if they want to know about someone else having the same experience.

Say the Serial No on my first camera was 20000052.

Looks like we had a similar problem.
I too was unnerved, knowing the ex-1 is a new model and the other well mentioned problem which my camera showed no signs of.
Wish me luck with my replacement which should arrive this week .
My Serial No. 200221