DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   SDI Out Plugs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/116885-sdi-out-plugs.html)

Alexander Kubalsky March 12th, 2008 08:31 PM

SDI Out Plugs

It finally happened the other night while out filming in a dark street.The moment we all dread....at some the SDI plug fell off without me noticing.
Has anyone successfully ordered a new plug or just left it open? Is there any other plugs out there that dont come off this camera when someone sneezes? Sony should have these things sitting around in trays at there service centres like complimentary beer nuts. Grab a handfull everytime you go in....

Jon Carlson March 12th, 2008 08:56 PM

How long did you make it? Mine was gone within the first hour or so of opening the box...

Alexander Kubalsky March 12th, 2008 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Carlson (Post 841590)
How long did you make it? Mine was gone within the first hour or so of opening the box...

104 days. Must be some kind of world record.

Michael H. Stevens March 12th, 2008 09:15 PM

I got a hot glue gun and increased the purchase by putting a thin layer of hot glue all around the outside of the plug. I stayed on about 37 minuets and I threw it away.

Eric Pascarelli March 12th, 2008 09:27 PM

I'm pretty sure mine was on the camera when I sent it to Sony for repair, and it was missing when they returned it.

Alexander Kubalsky March 12th, 2008 09:30 PM

the trauma we have all been through to keep this precious plug. I dont use that port but will at some point. Are the cables that plug into it expensive? I might just buy one, plug it in and snip it off at the base. that should stay in tighter and not stick out too much.

Eric Pascarelli March 12th, 2008 09:47 PM

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tion_Plug.html

I think this is the best bet.

This is a special order from B&H but similar ones can be found in stock elsewhere.

Dave Menard March 12th, 2008 10:57 PM

I sent my camera in for repair. They decided they needed to replace the camera. The SDI cover on the replacement camera is much better, you really have to pry it out. Way better then than the first one which didn't stay in at all.

Maybe if you order a replacement, you'll get this new version? You won't need to mod it.

Alexander Kubalsky March 12th, 2008 11:04 PM

Thanks Eric, Thanks Dave, Ill look into both these options. Thats good to know the new plugs are better. Is it a different design or material or still rubber? or still the same but better fit?

Bill Heslip March 12th, 2008 11:04 PM

My second camera has a much improved cover over the first, with a longer rubber sleeve that encases the entire barrel. Removing it takes effort (like the FW/USB cover, although it has loosened up over time).

Don't know if it would be a good idea to place a terminator or connector there as protection, though. Seems it would poke out too much, making the camera BNC vulnerable to damage, no?

Maybe Sony will have candy bowls full of the new ones at NAB and those attending can grab few for those whose nipple lost its way.

Dave Menard March 12th, 2008 11:10 PM

The new design is rubber like the old one, but long enough to go all the way to the back of the socket and it tapers out in thickness so it stays in really well.

Alexander Kubalsky March 12th, 2008 11:24 PM

The new design plug sounds like the answer. Thanks. ill start hassling my local store to order me one in. Ill post the price and availability here when I find out.

Craig Seeman March 13th, 2008 06:12 AM

They replaced my camera too when I sent it in. New plug MUCH better.

Eric Pascarelli March 13th, 2008 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Heslip (Post 841685)

Don't know if it would be a good idea to place a terminator or connector there as protection, though. Seems it would poke out too much, making the camera BNC vulnerable to damage, no?

Good point, Bill.

At least that part of the camera is made of a cast alloy, rather than plastic. But it could translate a hard knock into a more expensive repair.

Alexander Kubalsky March 13th, 2008 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Pascarelli (Post 841781)
Good point, Bill.

At least that part of the camera is made of a cast alloy, rather than plastic. But it could translate a hard knock into a more expensive repair.

Right, Ill go for the rubber replacement.

David Lorente March 13th, 2008 08:38 AM

Maybe a good idea will be to plug in a BNC-to-RCA converter. It's cheap , small, and will protect the female BNC plug of the camera. And since it is fixed with the bayonet of the plug, it won't be easily detached by accident.

Doug Park March 14th, 2008 12:48 AM

Mine didn't even make it out of the box with one. Must have gotten left on the factory floor in Japan.

Mika Tertsunen March 15th, 2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander Kubalsky (Post 841612)
the trauma we have all been through to keep this precious plug. I dont use that port but will at some point. Are the cables that plug into it expensive? I might just buy one, plug it in and snip it off at the base. that should stay in tighter and not stick out too much.

Alexander,
the plug (or the cap) is not precious at all and certainly shouldn´t cause trauma. It really is a bit cosmetic. Broadcast cameras are being tossed around all the time with no caps on the ports and they never fail because of that. The connector is recessed and therefore quite safe. There won´t be any dirt going in the camera through it either.
The worst thing to do is to insert a dummy plug that sticks out, hitting such a thing might cause the circuit board or whatever the connector is soldered on to break. That would be a real problem. Let it be, should there be dirt in the connector; just clean it.