Would you still buy the EX1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 20th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #1
Trustee

Would you still buy the EX1?

Hey all,

I was all gung ho to upgrade when I first read about the EX1, but now with the vignetting and backfocus issues, I'm pretty leery. I'd hate to order one and have to send it back, perhaps more than once.

I know we hear all about problems on a forum, but does anyone have any sense of how widespread the problems are? I figured Sony would have fixed the problem but people are still posting about receiving brand new cameras that show the vignetting.

I think my Z1 might have more life in it than I anticipated...
Old March 20th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #2
Major Player

If you tally everyone here in the "problem" threads you will get a few hand-fulls. A lot of the initial problems seem to have been handled by QA, although some still seem to seep through.

However, serial numbers are in the thousends. So if that is anything to go by, serious problems should be rare indeed.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Just received mine yesterday. It was SN 1789, a very low number for this late after the release. It has the vignetting problem in two corners, however the back focus is fine. I just spoke to someone at sony and I'm going to try to swap it with another one from the dealer rather than send it to them. Once this gets sorted out, I'll have very few complaints about this camera, especially considering what you get.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:10 AM   #4
Trustee

Mine has neither back focus or vignetting problems.
I would buy another one in a heart beat.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #5
Major Player

Yes, I would get another

My camera had a back focus issue which I fixed using the camera's internal software...no problem. Also, no problem with vignetting. I would purchase another because it produces a better picture than any other camera that I could hope to afford.
Best, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #6

no brainer....YES!
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #7
Trustee

Most reassuring, you guys. I guess I got overwhelmed by all the attention on the vignetting and back focus.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
Most reassuring, you guys. I guess I got overwhelmed by all the attention on the vignetting and back focus.

Thanks for the feedback.
I would buy it 3 more times. :)
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #9
Major Player

Absolutely yes. Will probably get another. I feel for the guys who have bad ones but I am sure Sony will sort them out. The fact that we have good ones means that Sony must come up with the goods for all.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #10
Inner Circle

No only would, but most probably will - as soon as the dust settles...
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #11
Major Player

I wouldn't jump in again until I was SURE all of the issues had been resolved. I took a chance getting in early and I got burned. Mine has horrible back focusing probs (SN# 101581) and it will drain a full batt. in 24 hrs with power off.
It cost me $170 to ship this thing to San Jose CA because (according to Sony) that is the nearest service center that can fix it. :(

I'm hoping to have better luck with the HVR-Z7U that I just purchased.
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:53 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Mine is for the second time in 4weeks (since I own it) back to San Jose for a faulty auto white balance and they told me, is not only my camera, but a problem with EX1 nobody seems to care. Well, excuse moi, I do expect that a 7k camera will do at least what my 2k PDX10 does perfectly.

Thank you,
Mike
Mike Mona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 03:23 AM   #13
Major Player

My EX1, delivered mid-december, is working perfectly. It's a great camera.
Maybe the besti thing to do is go to your reseller and ask to try it before you buy it, then you can check for white, backfocus or vignetting issues.

I love this cam and would'nt wait for another model, which may be far more buggy :)
Sebastien Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:02 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I'm exchanging mine today for a higher SN so the dealer can handle returning this one for vignetting. It's annoying, but there are plenty of cameras without this problem. There are some bugs with this camera, but it seems all of these are slowly being worked out. Other than the few issues we've been talking about here, it's a fantastic camera. I seriously doubt that sony would have a replacement at NAB. It seems panasonic will have a new camcorder next month, but that's more of a DVX replacement than an HVX replacement (AVCHD, $2500 roughly).

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 08:27 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I would not buy it again! Not now before all the problems are settled.
See my post here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....&postcount=644
Gerald Loidl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds