Would you still buy the EX1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 21st, 2008, 10:08 AM   #16
New Boot

Hi Everyone,

For what it's worth, if you're on the bleeding edge of a revolutionary camera introduction, you're going to have to expect some glitches. Please enter this process with your eyes open.

I had to send my first EX-1 back to the reseller to get a replacement because of a bad back focus issue. Now I couldn't be happier.

I admit that I'm a camera snob. I've shot well over 100 projects with the Sony F900. Using a camera like that every day you get spoiled. But I'm here to say that the EX-1 offers superb picture quality. Absolutely comparable to the F900!

Sure there are functionality issues compared to a professional camera. I wish it was full-sized with a real viewfinder on the side, BUT this camera costs less than 1/3 of the price of a professional HD LENS!!

How Sony can do all this for a sub $7k price point, I don't know. But I have gladly purchased one and am enjoying the benefits.
Old March 21st, 2008, 10:24 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac Chesson View Post
Hi Everyone,

For what it's worth, if you're on the bleeding edge of a revolutionary camera introduction, you're going to have to expect some glitches. Please enter this process with your eyes open.

I had to send my first EX-1 back to the reseller to get a replacement because of a bad back focus issue. Now I couldn't be happier.

I admit that I'm a camera snob. I've shot well over 100 projects with the Sony F900. Using a camera like that every day you get spoiled. But I'm here to say that the EX-1 offers superb picture quality. Absolutely comparable to the F900!

Sure there are functionality issues compared to a professional camera. I wish it was full-sized with a real viewfinder on the side, BUT this camera costs less than 1/3 of the price of a professional HD LENS!!

How Sony can do all this for a sub $7k price point, I don't know. But I have gladly purchased one and am enjoying the benefits.
it is always comforting to hear this coming from someone who has shot with the F900.
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 11:16 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Walsh View Post
It cost me $170 to ship this thing to San Jose CA because (according to Sony) that is the nearest service center that can fix it. :(
Something is wrong here. I had the vignette problem with my EX1. I phoned Sony and they sent me a prepaid FedEx label to send the camera to San Jose Ca, from Florida. The FedEx label even arrived overnight!

As for the vignette problem, fixed 100%.

Not only would I buy another Ex1, I am planning on buying another in a few months.
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 11:40 AM   #19
Trustee

John,
consider yourself lucky! There are some who have sent it in only to come back the same or worse, including me.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:54 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Would absolutely but it again, and would buy a second one if I had the budget.

- Ray
Old March 21st, 2008, 01:27 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I'm not sure- thankfully my company paid for mine. My current camera seems to have several odd problems, shot transition doesn't work, I definitely have the vignetting issue, and my sound is messed up (see my previous postings) to the point where I have to send it back to San Jose for them to look at it. Hopefully, they'll be able to fix all these issues, and if they do, I will definitely think the camera is worth having. Mine's a fairly early production (serial number starts with 101) so I guess later models don't have any of these issues, I would hope not at least.
Akira Hakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 08:54 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Mine is one month old and ready to go back to service a third time. Not only but the unbalanced grip and the weight of it, makes it impossible to use it without a tripod.
No way, I would not buy it again.

Thank you,
Mike
Mike Mona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 10:27 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Mike, check out the Anton Bauer Egripz which was recommended to EX1 users somewhere else on this forum. I got one and it makes a big, big difference with regards to hand holding the EX1. Granted, it doesn't make it balance perfectly, but it goes a long way towards making it manageable. My camera was sent off today to San Jose for various repairs, hopefully they will fix everything I listed in my note to them.

Mike, what did they not fix after they got your camera and sent it back to you twice already??
Akira Hakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 12:28 PM   #24
New Boot

I've had a 90% positive experience with the EX1 now that the workflow is figured out.

The first EX1 (serial in the 500s) I had fell off a dolly and really messed up the iris mechanics. I sent it to Sony for repair and after 2 harrowing weeks of back and forth with those guys, I get the call that they can't repair it and were sending me a brand new camera (serial in the 2000s) with brand new accessories!!!

Got it back, shot several projects with it and I am very happy with it (with the exception of the rolling shutter issue when shooting in strobby environments like strip clubs - which I did an ad for)

I recently did a 2 camera shoot with the Z1u and the EX1. Set the camera on the 60i CBR mode and I'm telling you the EX1 still outperforms the Z1u - even in similiar bitrates. And I really love my Z1u...
John Hess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 12:35 PM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mona View Post
Not only but the unbalanced grip and the weight of it, makes it impossible to use it without a tripod.
I don't know if it deserves a separate thread, but what about Mike's comment? I do a lot of hand held work. Is that enough of an issue to actually make the camera unsuitable?
Old April 2nd, 2008, 12:39 PM   #26
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
I don't know if it deserves a separate thread, but what about Mike's comment? I do a lot of hand held work. Is that enough of an issue to actually make the camera unsuitable?
I'll be quite honest... I do okay when shooting handheld- actually about as good as the Z1u. The rotating grip actually makes it easier to cradle.

But if you do a lot of handheld (which I don't) then I would buy a shoulder mount setup for it.
John Hess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 01:00 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Just buy a $50 dollar shoulder mount off ebay for it. They work great. Other than that, the camera is easily the best available under $17,500 for me.
Mike Testin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 01:41 PM   #28
Regular Crew

It's really not that bad to handhold. It's no HV20, but then again it's a much different camera. I don't think that the grip is that far off of the center of gravity, I love the rotation feature, and I very rarely use it for more than a minute or so without two hands.

-Sean`
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 04:41 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Would I buy it again? Yes. Absolutely.

But that's not to say it doesn't have its flaws.

And the cost of the camera is just a small part of the cost. People talk about the cheap shoulder mount (my dealer added a large mark up :(), but omit to mention the cost of getting a good mounting plate solution that enables speedy switching from tripod to shoulder mount. My tripod maker (Miller) is currently quoting close to £200 for a shoulder mounting plate solution that might be available in a couple of weeks time (fortunately there are cheaper solutions!). The non-standard external microphone mount ring size, and the positioning that means an adapter (not cheap!) needs to be bought just so the mic doesn't show up in frame when you zoom out, and the extra SxS cards needed it's worked out a LOT more expensive than I'd originally planned.

Having to remember to take batteries off the camera because they drain even when it's off is a pain.

The lettering on the camera shouldn't flake off after just a few weeks.

Oh and tonight, on its fourth outing, the plastic external microphone mount snapped off.

But there's so many pluses I forgive it its flaws, and yes, I'd buy it again!
Ian Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 09:33 PM   #30
Major Player

[QUOTE=Ian Smith;853183] The non-standard external microphone mount ring size, and the positioning that means an adapter (not cheap!) needs to be bought just so the mic doesn't show up in frame when you zoom out, QUOTE]

The external microphone mount is not the same as say the Sony Z1 of V1?? I didn't know that. I was thinking of using this microphone if and when I finally buy the camera: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wi...30f/index.html
It is 21mm (.83") but states it comes with a threaded adaptor. I am using this same microphone on the V1 with no adaptor.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds