DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Playstation 3 and SxS (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/118095-playstation-3-sxs.html)

Steve Gibbons March 29th, 2008 11:11 PM

Playstation 3 and SxS

Has anyone tried plugging the Sony SxS card reader into a Playstation3's USB port? I'm curious if the PS3 would playback the .MP4 files.

SG

Warren Kawamoto March 30th, 2008 03:52 AM

Doesn't read

Out of curiosity I just connected the EX1 via USB to a PS3. I can see both cards, but I can't open it's contents. My guess is that if you used a reader, it would do exactly the same thing. PS3 can't open mpeg4.

Steve Gibbons March 30th, 2008 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto (Post 850951)
Out of curiosity I just connected the EX1 via USB to a PS3. I can see both cards, but I can't open it's contents. My guess is that if you used a reader, it would do exactly the same thing. PS3 can't open mpeg4.

The PS3 supports MPEG-4 but of course in the case of the EX1, it's just a wrapper to the MPEG-2 video inside which the PS3 also supports. I've read MPEG-2 experiment reports of support up to 50mb/s which is beyond Blu-Ray.

Sony really should integrate PS3 support of native EX1 video. The playstation3 could be a fantastic screener device.

SG

Evan Donn March 30th, 2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto (Post 850951)

I've run mpeg4 from usb thumbdrives before but there's a trick to it - if you just click on the usb device it will say there are no video files. Instead, select the usb device and then click the green triangle button and choose 'show all' (or something like that) from the menu that pops-up - this will let you see the full contents of the device and you can select and play back mp4 files this way.

Andy Wilkinson March 30th, 2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan Donn (Post 851159)
I've run mpeg4 from usb thumbdrives before but there's a trick to it - if you just click on the usb device it will say there are no video files. Instead, select the usb device and then click the green triangle button and choose 'show all' (or something like that) from the menu that pops-up - this will let you see the full contents of the device and you can select and play back mp4 files this way.

Yes, this is the way it works. You have to be in the video folder also. It took me a bit of "web crawling" to find that out a few months back as it's DEFINITELY not as obvious as you'd think. I bet many give up before unlocking the amazing functionality this offers. Use it all the time now for quickly viewing HD video files I'm working on on a big screen!

Steve Gibbons March 30th, 2008 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 851222)
Yes, this is the way it works. You have to be in the video folder also. It took me a bit of "web crawling" to find that out a few months back as it's DEFINITELY not as obvious as you'd think. I bet many give up before unlocking the amazing functionality this offers. Use it all the time now for quickly viewing HD video files I'm working on on a big screen!

Andy, are you saying this does work then with the SxS card reader?

Warren Kawamoto March 31st, 2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan Donn (Post 851159)

I just tried again, but I still get "unsupported file format" when I'm trying to open the mpg4 file. My PS3 is updated to version 2.20, the latest revision. Is there some kind of special plugin or download needed to read mp4?

Tyler Franco March 31st, 2008 02:23 PM

The PS3 probably doesn't support the XDCAM EX Codec. There are several different codecs that can be wrapped in .mp4..... just a thought.

Warren Kawamoto March 31st, 2008 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 851222)
Yes, this is the way it works. Use it all the time now for quickly viewing HD video files I'm working on on a big screen!

But these aren't EX1 files, or are they? I know it works with consumer camera mp4s, but you're saying you can open EX1 files?

Malcolm Dyer April 5th, 2008 04:46 PM

Playstation 3 and SxS

Hello

I have not attached my SxS reader to my PS3 but I have put a clip folder on a Flash drive and tried that including placing it in a VIDEO folder and setting options to Display All.
The PS3 will not play it. Message 'Unsupported Data'
The files on the SxS are MPEG2 HD video and AES audio in a MPEG4 wrapper.
This is not the same as MPEG4 from consumer camcorders.
This is a bit frustrating as the PS3 has the capability of playing the parts but not the whole as presented.

For those wanting to view their video as recorded untouched by rendering I have found a way to view nearly native clips from the EX1 on a PS3.
I say nearly native as the audio has to be rendered but not the video.
Unfortunately for some this is a PC only solution.
Use Clip Browser to convert to MXF. This is only a change of wrapper.
Download MXF Desktop, if you don't have it, from Snell & Wilcox.
It is free on request via a link 'MXF Unwrapper' on this forum.
This unwraps MXF files. It also enables MXF playback on WMP.
You will get an .m2v and 2x AES files. Rename the .m2v to .mpv.
Import the mxf into Vegas 8 Pro and render the audio to AC3.
Download and run TSMuxer. Select both the .mpv and .ac3 files.
Create a .ts transport stream.
This can be renamed .m2t to run from a disc or drive on the PS3 or rename to .mpg if using a network connection.
I have not tested it over the network yet so not sure if 35Mb will work Ok. This could also be used to make a non rendered Blue ray disc.
Unfortunately this is long winded and does not allow editing but if you want to see video untouched by rendering it is the only way I have found.
I would be much happier if Vegas would smart render.

Maybe some one could find a way to convert the AES files to PCM .wav.
This would enable a completely unrendered Blue Ray disc but I don't know that an MPEG2 transport stream can contain PCM audio.
Cheers
Malcolm

Andy Wilkinson April 8th, 2008 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto (Post 851889)
But these aren't EX1 files, or are they? I know it works with consumer camera mp4s, but you're saying you can open EX1 files?

Just picked this thread up again. Sorry for any confusion, I meant typical MPEG4 files like DivX etc, not those funny EX1 ones or SxS card readers.

Chuck Wall April 8th, 2008 04:30 PM

Hi

I have been able to play phil blooms 720p files from his blog without issue on PS3 using my laptop as a media server. The PS3 will not work with mov files unwrapped for fcut even if you rename them.

Looks like Phil used h264 to encode.

Chuck