DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Vasst DVD on XDCAM EX1 Now available! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/118109-vasst-dvd-xdcam-ex1-now-available.html)

Alexander Kubalsky March 30th, 2008 06:58 AM

Vasst DVD on XDCAM EX1 Now available!

I just ordered this DVD from Vasst.

http://vasst.com/product.aspx?id=e5a...6-27e4d912abaf

I'm mainly interested in it helping me understand Picture Profile settings-although these forums are a huge help as well. You can watch a preview on youtube here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez9tOS11meU&NR=1

Check it out, kubalsky

David Hadden March 31st, 2008 05:09 PM

New XDCAM EX Training DVD with our Very Own Douglas Spotted Eagle

Ok, so this may seem like a shameless plug, but I like to promote our own, and I know Spot is a big contributor here, not to mention a great trainer, and I saw that www.VASST.com has the XDCam EX Training DVD on their site in the new products column.

If you're looking for an XDCam Training DVD, I'm sure that this $79 Training DVD will very likely give you the training you want or need for your XDCam DVD and for under 80 bux.

I don't know if it's a faux pas to post direct links to products but if it's acceptable then here goes :)

http://www.vasst.com/product.aspx?id...6-27e4d912abaf

Michael H. Stevens March 31st, 2008 05:11 PM

What detail useful for a pro is in this video that is NOT in the Doug Jenses version?

David Hadden March 31st, 2008 07:03 PM

I haven't checked right off, but I will be getting mine at or by NAB, (I'm sure they are both great, but I just always like to support folks that I know and are on the forums regularly giving advice freely :) ).

Dave

Alexander Kubalsky April 3rd, 2008 09:00 AM

I received the Vasst XDCAM Ex Dvd today and have just watched it.

I'm unable to find the "Extra section" that is supposed to have example Picture Profile settings that are mentioned in the picture profile chapter of the DVD.
Instead the bonus section is a short extra piece titled "How HDV works" which is something shot earlier and seems like a bit of a filler, especially since the EX1 is NOT a HDV camera really.

I'm very disappointed about this especially since it was the Picture Profile Chapter that mentions the "extra section" that had I watched as a promo uploaded by VASST on youtube and was the reason I bought the DVD.

I'm an easy going person generally but this just isn't good. I'm calling Vasst today to try and get an explanation.
Just wanted to let people know since I started this thread and wouldn't want to be the one who caused someone to buy this product and then feel cheated.

Sorry David Hadden, no disrespect meant to your friend Douglas spotted Eagle.

David Hadden April 3rd, 2008 11:34 AM

I still haven't picked mine up so I can't confirm what you're saying, but I would suggest checking the DVD on a computer to see if there are any files in a folder on there or something like that. I don't know what to tell you since I haven't seen it, but if they said it's there, then I'm sure it is. I've done work with these guys in the past and they run things through a pretty heavy gauntlet of review before it goes out to duplication.

I'd also say that the HDV section isn't entirely non-applicable since it does shoot the 25mbit stream as well as 35 and some people use that too. So while it's not an HDV camera per se, it does shoot in that same bit rate and both 35 and 25 mbit modes use more or less the same long gop style recording.

Alexander Kubalsky April 3rd, 2008 04:05 PM

Hi Dave,Greg, I thought there might be an extra file somewhere too but I watched the DVD on a Macbook Pro and havent found any Rom files. Clicking on the DVD icon only audio_ts and video_ts files pop up. Where else would I look?

Raymond Schlogel April 4th, 2008 02:06 AM

I do a little work with Vasst from time to time and while I'm not 100% what happened with this, I'm pretty sure there isn't one on the DVD. I say this so to many people don't wast to much time trying to find it.

That said, I'm confused why peeps would want these anyway, considering adding the files to your camera will also change any of your presets or customs (as I understand it) While I'm more than happy to look on here or elsewhere for a table that lays out different profiles so I can add them to my own, I would rather not copy someone elses actual file now that I have my camera set up the way that I want.

Perhaps it would be better if Vasst just did a few lists for different looks that you could download. I got the cam and the DVD and while I wouldn't have added em the way it seems some wanted, I'd be tickled to just go through my PP and change the settings based on ones they have found and recommend. Far from a deal breaker but we'll see.

Just one mans humble opinion.

- Ray

Alexander Kubalsky April 4th, 2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan Pyatt (Post 853846)
Did you contact VASST about this?

I am just about to order this....

I spoke to Vasst today. There is no extra folder on the DVD. It didn't make it to the end product for reasons I will let them explain. I should say communication with them has been excellent and the DVD itself is definitely worth it for someone starting out with this camera.

In my case though, I was interested specifically in Picture Profiles and any Extra Settings included in the package. Some may seek different things from this DVD and I in no way would want to put doubt in anyones mind over this product. I do hope however they edit the promo clip so that the "Extra Folder" mentioned is deleted so that others don't get misled.

Chris Hurd April 5th, 2008 07:09 AM

I have removed several comments from this thread regarding a post that was intended to be humorous but was misinterpreted as injurious and damaging (also removed). Just a reminder, please do not post "joking" comments to this site unless they are clearly identified as such; even then there are certain types of wisecracks that are best left out of serious technical discussions. Remember we are most interested in streamlined, useful commentary here. This is not a chat room. Thanks for understanding,