DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Wanted: Client viewable delivery, Fast. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/118995-wanted-client-viewable-delivery-fast.html)

Sean Donnelly April 9th, 2008 04:46 PM

Wanted: Client viewable delivery, Fast.

I'm not an event person, but I just got asked to do someone a favor and cover a benefit tomorrow night. I'd like to give them the footage to view as soon as possible, even qt files. Is there any way to quickly transcode the footage into a format that is more compatible? I'll have FCP with XDCam transfer, but I'd rather not have to render out everything that way.

Thanks,
-Sean

Daniel Browning April 9th, 2008 05:13 PM

More compatible with *what*?

Andrew Wilson April 9th, 2008 08:12 PM

Probably the quickest way would be to plug the analog component video out into a DVD recorder. I don't think any other way would be quicker than real-time, give better results or be more compatible than any other method.

Warren Kawamoto April 9th, 2008 08:29 PM

If you have Edius Broadcast 4.6 running on your Mac/Bootcamp/WindowsXp/, open a new 16:9 dv project, drop your mp4 files onto your timeline directly from your card, then burn a dvd. The process should take about 15 minutes if your footage is 2 hours long.

Dean Harrington April 9th, 2008 08:45 PM

Eye TV + Plextor convert X ...

This is a direct record to computer method, out-up Mpg1/2/4.

Craig Seeman April 9th, 2008 09:09 PM

Do you mean an edited master or the raw video?

Raw video is actually fairly fast/easy if the client has almost any reasonably new computer.

Drop the BPAV folder onto a portable hard drive or burn to DVD (takes a bit longer) and include the Free Sony Clip Browser (both Mac and Windows).

With the Sony Clip Browser any recent (Intel) Mac or Windows computer will be able to play the raw video. They don't need to install any codecs, have FCP or any other NLE . . . they won't even need Quicktime.

If they have a laptop on location they can view the video right there as fast as you can get the files of the SxS cards (which is very fast if the laptop has an Express card port). It could be 5-10 times real time.

Exact workflow: SxS card to MacBookPro Express port to portable hard drive. Copy Clip Browser (both Mac and Windows) installer to hard drive. Hand hard drive to client so they can install Clip Browser and view on their computer (Mac or Windows). If you copy the BPAV folders to DL-DVD drive in the laptop that might slow you down to real time depending on burn speed.

Since you're giving them the raw shoot (BPAV) folders they can then edit with the NLE of their choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Donnelly (Post 857271)
I'm not an event person, but I just got asked to do someone a favor and cover a benefit tomorrow night. I'd like to give them the footage to view as soon as possible, even qt files. Is there any way to quickly transcode the footage into a format that is more compatible? I'll have FCP with XDCam transfer, but I'd rather not have to render out everything that way.

Thanks,
-Sean

Sean Donnelly April 10th, 2008 06:32 AM

Thanks Craig, of course I'm still running all powerpc machines so I haven't had a chance to test out the clip browser software. Really all I'm looking for is a way for them to be able to see what was shot with the minimal wait time and post processing on my part.

-Sean

Craig Seeman April 10th, 2008 07:35 AM

I was using G5 as my main computer up until recently when I got 8 Core Intel Mac.

The question is what does your client have.

The drawback of using PPC is that the only way to split a 16GB BPAV into 8GB for burning to DL-DVD is with the Clip Browser split function. If you deliver to your client on external hard drive or don't use 16GB SxS cards you shouldn't have problem (unless your client also only has PPC).

BTW if you can't get an 8 Core yet, an inexpensive solution is getting a Intel MacMini (or even an inexpensive Windows box) to use the Clip Browser yourself.

BTW the free VLC will play the MP4 files on any Mac but it won't the audio.

Sean Donnelly April 10th, 2008 08:36 AM

It has become apparent that the client isn't comfortable running an additional piece of software, and also isn't sure what they are going to have to view it with. I'm going to burn SD DVDs. Also, Mplayer will play the mp4 files with audio, but I'm not sure if it will do it without the QT component from FCP installed. I'm waiting for the next major revision to the towers, since it means new a new SCSI card and a new blackmagic card as well as a few other components.

-Sean

Craig Seeman April 10th, 2008 09:12 AM

Do keep in mind that Fast and Compatible is not the same as Convenient.

I've done SD DVD from EX1 for clients if they want Convenient. That's exactly why I needed to move to an 8 Core. You'll find that slow on a G5.

If your client wants convenient SD DVD is good. If client wants fast SD DVD is the worst choice especially if you have a G5.

I'm not sure what you consider "major" but I consider the changed in the January 2008 over the previous Intel Mac models significant. I'm not expecting great changes in the PCIe spec. I could see adding the new faster firewire spec but at this point I'd think eSATA is the way to go. Apple might do a case design change but I can't even imagine that being too major.

The only thing I'd like to see is an PCIe SxS Express card reader for desktop (NOT USB).

First and foremost I'm a business and time is money. Waiting for a summer change might not be horrible but waiting for fall/winter would cost me more time than the cost of the CPU.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Donnelly (Post 857611)
It has become apparent that the client isn't comfortable running an additional piece of software, and also isn't sure what they are going to have to view it with. I'm going to burn SD DVDs. Also, Mplayer will play the mp4 files with audio, but I'm not sure if it will do it without the QT component from FCP installed. I'm waiting for the next major revision to the towers, since it means new a new SCSI card and a new blackmagic card as well as a few other components.

-Sean

Sean Donnelly April 10th, 2008 12:29 PM

Craig, I'd say an SD DVD is probably the most universally compatible AND convenient delivery format available right now. I should mention this will not be cut with, it's just a temporary copy for their personal viewing. It certainly isn't fast, and I was trying to avoid it for that reason, but it seems like waiting a little longer to deliver won't be a problem, I was just trying to get some advice on how to do this as quickly as possible. As I said, this is a favor for someone and not my usual line of work, I just happen to have the camera and be available.

-Sean

Craig Seeman April 10th, 2008 01:18 PM

I guess the "compatible" part depends on client base and such things. I've gotten my fair share of "why does your DVD skip on my player" for me to be entirely comfortable with that . . . even though DVD is my most common form of delivery. It's really due to people having old DVD players or players with dirty lasers.