DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Problems with XDCAM transfer software for Mac (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/119282-problems-xdcam-transfer-software-mac.html)

Joachim Hoge April 13th, 2008 12:56 PM

Problems with XDCAM transfer software for Mac

We have a Mac Pro that we use with our EX1 and XL-H1.
It seems that the transfer software behaves very odd. When importing more than 20 clips, it always adds a duplicate clip from clip 20 and upwards (in Final Cut, not on disk though).

This seems to interfere with the other clips imported from the XL-H1 in FC. It dosenīt sort the rest of the clips correctly after we import clips from the EX1.

Anyone else have this problem?
Editing is no problem, neither is mixing the XL-H1 and the EX1 as long as itīs in a HDV time line

Matt Davis April 13th, 2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge (Post 859430)
We have a Mac Pro that we use with our EX1 and XL-H1.
It seems that the transfer software behaves very odd. When importing more than 20 clips, it always adds a duplicate clip from clip 20 and upwards (in Final Cut, not on disk though).

Anyone else have this problem

Yes, but its with 10 or more clips. Right now, I am importing one by one due to an even bigger problem (something funky with Quicktime FSfilecheck failure with movie atom (am several thousand miles away from it on a Z1 shoot).

There are a few wrinkles to be sorted out before I trust it.

Joachim Hoge April 13th, 2008 01:16 PM

Hi
Thanks Matt. Good to know Iīm not the only one having problems with it.

Dean Sensui April 13th, 2008 01:48 PM

I posted somewhere about how to avoid the problem:

To prevent duplicate clips when importing into FCP via the SONY XDCam Transfer application:

Select up to 10 clips and import as usual directly into FCP.

When that's done, go to FCP and move those 10 clips into a bin.

Import the next 10 clips via XDCam Transfer.

Again, go back to FCP and move those newly imported clips into the bin where you moved the other clips.

It's annoying to have to go back and forth. However the advantage of doing it this way is that it will preserve any comments you typed into the XDCam Transfer logging window. Quite helpful when logging a lot of clips.

Apparently FCP chokes when there's more than 10 XDCam clips imported into a project. It will also mess up if there are already XDCam clips in the browser, and your additional clips add up to more than 10 or 11 total clips.

To avoid problems, move imported clips out of the browser and into a bin. That way the next set of clips will be imported into a "clean" browser without any problems.

As clips are imported, they can be consolidated into a bin wihout any problems. Once they're in the project, clips can be moved anywhere and grouped as desired.

Joachim Hoge April 13th, 2008 01:52 PM

Thanks a lot for your thorough explanation Dean.
I will do that on our next shoot. Unfortunatly we have imported the clips already this time.

Mike Williams April 14th, 2008 03:49 PM

Hi,

I had the same issues and found a few fixes in here. Fortunately if you update your FCP with the most recent software updates it seems that apple has fixed the issue. Do that right away.

Now for your old clips......

Cut the reference out of your old bin. You will need to be persistent it is a PIA...

then shift select the clips from your scratch folder where they are all neatly in order, then drag and drop to your bin. They should all fall into place nicely.

I am suffering major tapeless anxiety and recently dealt with this so I hope you get through OK