DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX3 Details from Sony Press Conference (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/119360-ex3-details-sony-press-conference.html)

Tim Dashwood April 14th, 2008 09:06 AM

EX3 Details from Sony Press Conference

I managed to get some shots of mount and a bit of the lens. Chris Hurd was on the other side getting shots of the buttons. These images will be uploaded later this morning.
This is what I found out from various Sony reps:
The lens is manufactured by Fujinon. The mount is "EX" mount.
I was told by 3 Sony reps that a 1/2" bayonet to EX mount adapter will be bundled with the camera, but another denied it would be a free bundle. Make what you will of that.
There will also be a 2/3" to EX mount adapter available (one of the slides showed a Digiprime connected to the EX3.)

It appears the shortest focal length of the bundled lens is 5.8mm and I believe the longest was 81.2 (from memory - I could be wrong.) That would make this lens a 14x. I also believe (from memory) the lens was f/1.7. Don't quote me on that.

The design of the viewfinder is quite nice. It has a little arm that can flip forward or back and pull out for left-eyed operators. You can flip up the eyepiece and use the LCD as well.
I'll stop by the Sony booth later and actually play with it and hopefully take more photos.

More to come.

Sean Seah April 14th, 2008 09:49 AM

is it possible to remove the viewfinder permanently n use it like an LCD?

Mika Tertsunen April 14th, 2008 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Seah (Post 860009)
is it possible to remove the viewfinder permanently n use it like an LCD?

I thought about the same thing, surely it must be somehow taken off or at least swung away. How would you transport the thing of that shape otherwise? Lease a container? :-D

edit: I really mean the LCD, the eyepiece flips up and can be removed. This however doesn´t solve the awkwardness of the shape

Sina Basy April 14th, 2008 10:01 AM

yes it's . . . check the PDF File from Sony

http://www.sony.co.uk/res/attachment...7064694533.pdf

George Kroonder April 14th, 2008 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mika Tertsunen (Post 860014)
Isurely it must be somehow taken off or at least swung away.

Phil Bloom shows this in his review video of the EX3: www.philipbloom.net. It detaches fairly easily at the hinge.

George/

Mika Tertsunen April 14th, 2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Kroonder (Post 860021)
Phil Bloom shows this in his review video of the EX3: www.philipbloom.net. It detaches fairly easily at the hinge.

George/

Sorry, I didn´t express myself clearly: I did mean that the LCD display should be removed or swung. The eyepiece detaches like in a normal viewfinder but having had a second look at Phil´s video, the LCD part remains sticking out of the body. This really takes down my enthusiasm quite a bit :-(

Phil Bloom April 14th, 2008 11:20 AM

it stays out like a proper viewfinder stays out on a full size camera. it is designed for the viewfinder to really stay on, like the Canon H1

Paul Leung April 14th, 2008 01:24 PM

The brochure says "SUPPLIED 1/2 inch type lens adaptor".

Mika Tertsunen April 14th, 2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom (Post 860135)
it stays out like a proper viewfinder stays out on a full size camera. it is designed for the viewfinder to really stay on, like the Canon H1

But they don't stay out. Proper finders can be loosened and stuffed quite flush to the body, or be taken off. They are not blocks that stick straight out of the camera, this is just clumsy and bad design to me.
Obviously my only concern here is how this thing travels, by the looks of it one has to buy a case made for Arri 435. Well, that is a full size camera with a proper viewfinder... what am I complaining about... sorry :-D

I must point out however that Iīm judging this by the pictures, havenīt had my hands on it like you Phil. Iīve understood that your gear travels a bit so you probably would have mentioned if the finder seemed fragile.

Paul Frederick April 14th, 2008 03:29 PM

the big question....what's it going to cost?

Felix Sorger April 14th, 2008 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Frederick (Post 860367)
the big question....what's it going to cost?

the list price is supposed to be around 13000 US$, so the street price a bit less...

Paul Frederick April 14th, 2008 08:02 PM

That seems like quite a jump in price for a removable lens and a few ergonomic tweeks. Think I'll pick up one of the EX1's that will be going up for sale instead! Either new or used, those will now be an even better deal.