DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   One continuous clip from card A to B (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/119667-one-continuous-clip-card-b.html)

Craig Hollenback April 18th, 2008 06:35 AM

One continuous clip from card A to B

When recording from card A to B in one continuous shot, do you then take all the shots from B and then put them into the first BPAV folder after download in the clip browser to get one continuos take? I have not tried this so I thought that I should ask first.
Thanks, Craig

Piotr Wozniacki April 18th, 2008 06:49 AM

Please read what I wrote in this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=116133

So yes, it can be seamless - just let the Clip Browser do its job BEFORE you export to mxf!

Paul Kellett April 18th, 2008 09:37 AM

Here's what i do/have done quite a few times and it works no problem.
I completely filled my sxs card A and the cam automatically switches to card/slot B.
Make a folder on the hard-drive.
Open clip browser,rewrap card A footage straight into the folder i made earlier. Put card B in reader,open clip browser,rewrap that footage straight into the same folder. Now i've got MXF clips with consecutive numbers.

I do get a message from clip browser during the rewrapping process,something about can't complete something or other,(i'll pay more attention next time),but i just click on ok.

When i put these 2 clips on the vegas timeline i don't get any dropouts or missed frames or anything when i play it back. It really is seamless.

Paul.

Piotr Wozniacki April 18th, 2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Kellett (Post 862876)
I do get a message from clip browser during the rewrapping process,something about can't complete something or other,(i'll pay more attention next time),but i just click on ok..

This way you can't seamlessly stitch a split clip back, Paul. Not a long GOP MPEG2.

Paul Kellett April 18th, 2008 10:28 AM

All i know is that when i put the clips on my vegas timeline they play back without a single hiccup,i've expanded the timeline ,listened to the audio,looked at lip movement and checked the audio peaks closely,it all looks and sounds good to me,if this is classed as NOT seamless then i'm not complaining.
I just go by what my eyes and ears are telling me.

Paul.

Bob Grant April 18th, 2008 06:53 PM

I've tried joining split clips in Vegas 8.0a and as Piotr says, I've lost frames at the join. Maybe because I've used Clock TC?
On the other hand, joining them in the Clip Browser, problem goes away. Regardless it's a more elegan solution as what should be one clip gets stitched back into one clip.
All that said, our camera's firmware could be different. We'd also need to know which version of Vegas and the clip browser before drawing any conclusions.

Andrew Hollister April 22nd, 2008 05:30 PM

I just wrapped a 'small' shoot (four 8 hour days - corporate meeting) with 2 EX1's and have just shy of a terabyte of highly confidential footage to prove me method. And not a single headache.

Best to dump complete BPAV folders from your SxS cards into sequentially numbered folders -- Ending up with Cam01> 01> BPAV> Clips; Cam01> 02> BPAV> Clips; etc.

Then combine into one master directory using the COPY function in Clip Browser. I assume this updates all the .xml files in BPAV folders. Shame Sony didn't add a MOVE or COMBINE function, but that would have required thinking and/or common sense.

Then when you import into FCP using Transfer, set your in and out and viola. one crazy long clip.

NOTE: Clip Browser code kinda stinks, it will not acknowledge renamed BPAV folders (ex: BPAV_01)

Maybe my complaints will be answered in the next version of Clip Browser? Doubt it.