DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Chromatic aberration (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/119672-chromatic-aberration.html)

Mark David Williams April 21st, 2008 03:00 PM

A couple more

http://www.freewebs.com/markwilliams/Mark3.png

http://www.freewebs.com/markwilliams/Mark4.png

What do people think of these? Images good to go as are?

Marlon Martins July 16th, 2009 04:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
CA can be corrected in any software i believe.

in vegas, i triplicate the track, using color curves, let only a single color per track
put track in "ADD" mode, and you can resize the channels independently, fixing CA.

so, i let this project to fix CA. drag, and export. can use keyframes also to adjust based on zoom.

Oliver Neubert example:

Serena Steuart July 17th, 2009 12:17 AM

very interesting.

Piotr Wozniacki July 17th, 2009 03:09 AM

As a Vegas user, I find it VERY interesting indeed.

Marlon, could you please elaborate on how exactly you "resize the channels independently" - do you use Track Motion? I'd suspect moving one single-color track relative to another could remove the CA in one place (say at the frame extremities), but introduce color shift in another (like the frame center)...

But I'm certainly missing something!

PS Perhaps you could share your example .veg file used to achieve this?

Marlon Martins July 17th, 2009 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
yes, i use track motion, with curves filters on track also.

of course, there other ways, other filters, better workflow. but this is my first try, i just got a ex3 about a week. testing now with shneider fisheye ;)

here is the project as example. values are crude, to be perfect need more samples and tests.

Bob Grant July 17th, 2009 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another approach shamelessly borrowed from an AE tutorial elsewhere. Not without its pitfalls. The white dot is simply so I could tell how much desaturation was being done as I previewed the result at full raster.

Looking at the frame grab this doesn't look like classical CA, the amount of fringing seems too constant over the frame.

Max Allen July 17th, 2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlon Martins (Post 1173093)
yes, i use track motion, with curves filters on track also.

of course, there other ways, other filters, better workflow. but this is my first try, i just got a ex3 about a week. testing now with shneider fisheye ;)

here is the project as example. values are crude, to be perfect need more samples and tests.

Hi Marlon, could you check if you get vignetting with your Fisheye please?

Tom Hardwick July 18th, 2009 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Allen (Post 1173157)
could you check if you get vignetting with your Fisheye?

Er - the whole point of a fisheye lens is to place a circular 180 degree image within the rectangular gate. Now that's vignetting.

Full frame fisheyes on the other hand shouldn't obviously vignette.

Piotr Wozniacki July 19th, 2009 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Grant (Post 1173139)
Looking at the frame grab this doesn't look like classical CA, the amount of fringing seems too constant over the frame.

Exactly - and this is why Marlon's method of moving the soloed red channel in relation to the other 2 channels over entire frame, actually works here!

In the case of typical CA, where it mainly shows at frame extremities, your method of adjusting color locally is more adequate - though tedious.

Max Allen July 19th, 2009 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick (Post 1173296)
Er - the whole point of a fisheye lens is to place a circular 180 degree image within the rectangular gate. Now that's vignetting.

Full frame fisheyes on the other hand shouldn't obviously vignette.

Isn't the Century/Schneider full frame?

Dave Tyrer July 19th, 2009 05:14 AM

I came across this video tutorial, but only for after effects - are there similar controls in Vegas ?

Removing Chromatic Aberration : Adobe After Effects Video Tutorial

Marlon Martins July 21st, 2009 03:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Allen (Post 1173157)
Hi Marlon, could you check if you get vignetting with your Fisheye please?

sure ;)

vignetting is very low, normally not perceptible.

a quick test:

Bob Grant July 22nd, 2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Tyrer (Post 1173579)
I came across this video tutorial, but only for after effects - are there similar controls in Vegas ?

Removing Chromatic Aberration : Adobe After Effects Video Tutorial

Yes. See the sample project file I uploaded above.
I used the Secondary Color Corrector to select the color of the fringe and to desaturate that color. As the tutorial also shows this can easily fail if the same color appears in other parts of the frame. Then you have to use a mask as well. That can become very tedious if you need to keyframe the mask as well.