DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Using the Brevis with the EX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/119692-using-brevis-ex1.html)

Dale Backus April 18th, 2008 11:05 AM

Using the Brevis with the EX1

A friend brought an EX1 over to use my Brevis with for a shoot he has this weekend. He bought the CFLE1 from Cinevate and some spacer rings which they said he needed when he called to ask.

After replacing the Groundglass and with or without we could NOT get the camera to focus on the glass. With Macro on or off - doesn't seem to make a difference.

We can get the camera to zoom and still focus when the image is right to the edge of the Box on the LCD. Is that the actual image or is it action safe or something? Not sure what's going on.

Can someone help out with this? Any advice would be great. We

Jeremy Hughes April 18th, 2008 11:48 AM

Seems like almost all the adapter makers are having to add a new acromat in order for the EX1 to work properly. It doesnt have great macro focus and also theyve said the 1/2" chips make a difference. I know the SGPro is having to do that and if you get a LEX, you need to add it on.

Tom Roper April 18th, 2008 12:30 PM

You can go to the "Basic Setup" video at the Cinevate University. I think the problem is that when you zoom in, the minimum focus distance will increase. If the GG is closer than the minimum, you can't focus on it, thus the requirement for spacer(s).

I'm assuming also you aren't using the flip.

Benjamin Eckstein April 18th, 2008 08:34 PM

I think you may NEED the flip. I haven't tried mine without the flip but I believe you would need a ton of spacers to use it without the flip. Works with the flip though.

Leonard Levy April 18th, 2008 08:52 PM

The Ex-1 lens has created many problems for the adapter makers.

Dennis is in the process of finalizing his fix for the EX-1. Rather than steal his thunder I will only say that it will be out very soon and it will be different.

My tests with the current Brevis + flip indicated that you needed to shoot at f8 on the video camera to get decent focus across the whole screen. f5.6 would be fair if you didn't care about the edges. The fix presumably will fix this and hopefully allow use of the full SLR image size. i haven't tried with a pre-flip brevis at all.

The improved achromat for the Letus (and apparently same for the SGPro though I haven't tested personally ) works very well but has some vignetting at full SLR as I recall so you need to zoom more.

_ Lenny

Steve Cahill April 19th, 2008 01:41 PM

You need to zoom less with the Letus, with the Sony EX1 and the Letus fix.

Phil Bloom April 19th, 2008 02:41 PM

look forward to the Brevis fix. Got 3 of the things sitting gathering dust. Yes it's true the camera needs to be very stopped down to get decent edge to edge focus

Juan McFarland April 21st, 2008 03:59 AM

This probably isn't your problem, BUT if your EX-1 is not macro focusing at all:
make sure that in addition to the 'macro' switch being on, the focus ring is in the forward 'a/f' position. As you rack this will bring the minimum object distance to around one inch.

Phil Bloom April 21st, 2008 04:02 AM

macro focus mode is no good for focusing in on ground glass. It only works for very minor zoom, not for the amount needed to focus in on the gg

Dale Backus April 22nd, 2008 09:32 PM

Been so busy haven't had a chance to thank you guys for the help.

We'll have our eyes out for those fixes!