DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Does B&H ship units with new firmware? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/120308-does-b-h-ship-units-new-firmware.html)

Michael Mann April 25th, 2008 02:10 PM

Does B&H ship units with new firmware?

I intend to order from B&H but I am worried that they still might ship older stock lacking the actual 1.05-firmware. Has anyone purchased and got his EX1 from them recently? Thanks in advance.

Robert Young April 26th, 2008 12:03 AM

I got one from B&H a couple of weeks ago. It has firmware v 1.03

Alfredo Silva April 26th, 2008 03:53 AM

The thing is how to uppgrade the camera yourself, is this posible from the sony website and how?

Michael Mann April 26th, 2008 04:01 AM

That's exactly the point, Alfredo: Sony does not allow end users to upgrade firmware.
But I don't like to buy knowing I have to send it back to Sony right away.

Mathieu Ghekiere April 26th, 2008 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Mann (Post 867840)
That's exactly the point, Alfredo: Sony does not allow end users to upgrade firmware.
But I don't like to buy knowing I have to send it back to Sony right away.

Hi Michael, maybe you should call B&H and ask them specifically?
In the worst case, I suppose they'll tell you that they can't open boxes just like that, so they can't check... But maybe they have serials on the boxes and can 'know' if those have new firmware?

Dennis Joseph April 26th, 2008 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere (Post 867844)
Hi Michael, maybe you should call B&H and ask them specifically?
In the worst case, I suppose they'll tell you that they can't open boxes just like that, so they can't check... But maybe they have serials on the boxes and can 'know' if those have new firmware?

Guys I had the same scenerio play out a month ago when I was about to buy my EX-1. I called B&H ton 2 seperate occasions and explained that I wanted a newer s/n due to the vignetting and what not and they said that they would not and could not tell me me. The guy was rude on the phone and they treated the situation like I was making them do extra work for an item that was $6.50. At that point I was pissed off and hung up. I don;t care how big of a place you are or what your reputetion is. If you can;t give me the customer service I need, i will go elsewhere.

I went to Abel and they were very nice and told me exactly what s/n I would be getting and the transaction went very smoothe. I purchased my camera over 1 month ago and I have a higher s/n and latest firmware than anyone who purchased theirs from b&h in the past couple of weeks. I think it's a joke that they are still selling the older firmware units.

Henry Posner April 28th, 2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Joseph
I called B&H ton 2 seperate occasions and explained that I wanted a newer s/n due to the vignetting and what not and they said that they would not and could not tell me me. The guy was rude on the phone and they treated the situation like I was making them do extra work for an item that was $6.50. At that point I was pissed off and hung up.

There are two issues here. The first is rudeness, real or perceived, for which I apologize. While I know that some of our sales associates' "Nu Yawk" style can be perceived as rude by folks from west of the Hudson, the fact is we don't tolerate rudeness and I am sorry.

Second is that our sales associates are on the 2nd floor of our Manhattan offices and our warehouse is in Brooklyn and there's simply no way for a sales associate to know or confirm what may or may not be in (or printed on) a box with absolute certainty. When he said he could not tell you, he was speaking the truth.

Michael Mann April 28th, 2008 09:59 AM

Dear Mr. Poser, is there any possible way to find out what firmware there is on the units that B&H is shipping right now? That info seems to be quite important since customers do not want to risk to send the cam back for backfocus control right after the purchase.
Thanks in advance.

Dennis Joseph April 28th, 2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry Posner (Post 868837)
There are two issues here. The first is rudeness, real or perceived, for which I apologize. While I know that some of our sales associates' "Nu Yawk" style can be perceived as rude by folks from west of the Hudson, the fact is we don't tolerate rudeness and I am sorry.

Second is that our sales associates are on the 2nd floor of our Manhattan offices and our warehouse is in Brooklyn and there's simply no way for a sales associate to know or confirm what may or may not be in (or printed on) a box with absolute certainty. When he said he could not tell you, he was speaking the truth.

Henry, thanks for your feedback. I'm from Chicago so we can give and recieve abrasive behavior. The kind that I got on the phone on 2 seperate occasions was just not acceptable even by a Chicagoan who has lived, worked, in rough patches of our city.

When you are inquiring about a 7k product, you should have the best customer service possible. I have worked in sales all of my life and I can tell you that I have never told a customer " No we can't do that" let alone in a rude tone. What he could have said was "I'm so sorry, the way that our wharehouse is structured, we are not able to go all the way downstairs to find out what s/n we have but what I can do for you is...." and I dont know what the resolution would be there should be one when spending that amount or any amount for that matter.

The sad part is that me and my friends have spent a ton of money with b&h in the past. After that experience, I just don't know.

Henry Posner April 28th, 2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Mann
Dear Mr. Poser, is there any possible way to find out what firmware there is on the units that B&H is shipping right now?

I asked our buyer who replied,"As per Sony 95% of our inventory has the new firmware. Unfortunately you cannot see it on the outside of the box." That's ALL I know at present.

Gints Klimanis April 28th, 2008 04:03 PM

Mine arrived with 1.03 firmware from BH with invoice date 04/17. Bummer. Gotta get that update.

I hope Sony lets us update in the field like Nikon and Canon. If it goes wrong, then we could send it in.

Steven Thomas April 28th, 2008 04:31 PM

Agreed.
I'm not sure why Sony can not offer a disclaimer and have us perform the software upgrade in the field. This process will save them a LOT of time.

Gints Klimanis April 28th, 2008 05:03 PM

Right now, we can sense that customers reading this forum are stalling their EX1 orders.

Ike Tamigian April 28th, 2008 06:01 PM

FWIW my sister got hers from B&H on April 3,2008 with 1.03

Robb Cox April 28th, 2008 06:36 PM

Unless something has changed very recently B&H wont ship the EX1 overseas. Best bet is to have someone in the US buy it for you and send it to you in Germany, unless youre planning on pick up, then no worries.