DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   What are you using as a field monitor ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/120648-what-you-using-field-monitor.html)

Michael Maier April 30th, 2008 04:47 PM

What are you using as a field monitor ?

What are you guys using for a field monitor with your EX1? The camera is really sharp and the 720p monitor I used with my JVC HD100 is not cutting it anymore, specially when using a 35mm adapter. I need a full 1920x1080 capable screen, at least 17" in size. What are you using?
Thanks.

Dennis Dillon April 30th, 2008 05:48 PM

Pix for Pix!!!!!!!!

A 17 inch display will not have a full 1080x1920 pix for pix. I think you need to move up to 24". As for my own flavor. TV Logic 7 inch with Wave/Vector, and pix for pix function with hood, and a 17 inch TV logic for the rest of the crew to double check my focus. The 24" would not be practical in the field. The 17 still is too big for most outdoor situations.

We are heading out to the Galapagos,. where we will be utilizing the PDW 700, Fujinon HA13x4.5 BERM & HA22x7.8 BERM, Ex 1, Letus-Ultimate/Extreme, Zeiss combo pack, and Gates Under Water Housing developed for the EX1.
the TV logic 7 with hood will be saving my as... .

Dennis Dillon April 30th, 2008 05:50 PM

In addition

An H-400 Hoodman for the EX 1 LCD. The LCD is killer for focus utilizing the peaking/color functions.

Michael Maier April 30th, 2008 06:06 PM

What in the 24" realm would you suggest?
I have no problems with a larger monitor for field use.

Dennis Dillon April 30th, 2008 06:12 PM

TV Logic or Dell, in that order.

Michael Maier April 30th, 2008 06:28 PM

The Dell 2408? It's a affordably price option but I have been reading reviews about the component inputs being garbage. As it has no SDI, component would be the only way in from the EX1. Have you used one as a studio or field monitor with the EX1?
It is also a VA panel, which means color shift depending on the angle of view among other things.
In that category there's also the LG L246.
Thanks.

Nils G. Refstrup April 30th, 2008 11:15 PM

I use a panasonic BT-LH1700W stuffed in a portabrace cover, powered from a V-lock plate. It is build for this and the resolution is more than enough to judge focus and exposure. It is a classic and does the job well.

Michael Maier May 1st, 2008 03:22 AM

Isn't the Panasonic a 720p monitor? That's what I have right now, a 17" 720p monitor and when using wide angle lenses is really difficult to judge focus. I want a full HD monitor. But thanks for the suggestion.

Piotr Wozniacki May 1st, 2008 03:35 AM

It's interesting that altough the technology is there (you can find laptops with just 15" screens of Full HD resolution), "separate" monitors of 1920x1200 resolution start with as much as 24"...

Sean Donnelly May 1st, 2008 05:00 AM

Piotr, who makes a 15" laptop with full HD resolution? Apple makes one, but that's only the 17" with the upgraded screen.

-Sean

Piotr Wozniacki May 1st, 2008 05:14 AM

Sean, I think one of the Sony Vaio models offers that (not sure though - mine is also a 17-incher).

Nils G. Refstrup May 1st, 2008 05:36 AM

Yes the panasonic is a 720p monitor. Just remember that pixel count isn't everything ;) With this display I don't really miss a native 1080p pixel resolution and it is very popular for 35mm adapter work.

I would recommend that you try the different monitors at your local rental facility. A 24" computer monitor is not the answer to your problems.

Michael Maier May 1st, 2008 07:32 AM

I know. I don't need specifically a 24" monitor. I just need full HD. If full HD starts at 24" so be it. But I need full HD. 720p is only good for long lenses. Snap a 18mm or a 15mm lens on and you can't tell if it's in focus with a 720p monitor.

Mick Haensler May 1st, 2008 10:13 AM

I have 2 of the 24" Dells and can verify that the component inputs aren't the best. I've already had to return one because of it. Dell customer support was great though. I use mine strictly in the studio. My main concern with using them in the field is the distance you have to be from the monitor to achieve a Hi Def view. You will have to be at least 6 feet back from the monitor which to me makes it impractical for anything in the field. Just my 2 cents.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Jay Lee May 1st, 2008 10:40 AM

TV Logic

Dennis, funny you should bring up the TV Logic display. I don't know much about this brand, but I was checking the specs out the other day and it looked pretty good. What are your impressions of this monitor for focusing, exposure and color during production with the EX camera?