DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   can I record shotgun mic (ch.1) and wireless mic (ch.2) simultaneously? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/122226-can-i-record-shotgun-mic-ch-1-wireless-mic-ch-2-simultaneously.html)

Malcolm Hamilton May 22nd, 2008 07:52 PM

can I record shotgun mic (ch.1) and wireless mic (ch.2) simultaneously?

Hi there,
For some reason, I can't seem to get audio onto both channels, when using a shotgun mic into XLR channel 1, and a wireless mic into XLR channel 2.
When I go to menu->Audio Input->External Channel Select, I have only two choices:
CH-1
or
CH-1/CH-2

Shouldn't there be a
CH-1 + CH-2 choice as well?

What am I not getting? (please don't make the list too too long)
cheers,
Malcolm

Chris Medico May 22nd, 2008 08:05 PM

Set the input to Ch1/Ch2 and it will record both channels. Plug your shotgun into Ch1 and your wireless in Ch2 and you are ready to go!

When its on Ch1 it only records the single channel.

Malcolm Hamilton May 22nd, 2008 08:20 PM

thanks for the reply, Chris.
The odd thing is, though, that I have that configuration chosen, and I only get the shotgun audio, in Channel 1. Both transmitter and receiver of the wireless are on and showing good audio levels on the units themselves, but nothing is ending up on Channel 2 of the camera.
When I switch XLR cables, and plug the wireless into Channel 1, I get good audio (so it's not the cable, or the wireless, it would seem to me). When the shotgun is connected to Channel 2... nothing.

Any other suggestions? Are there any other settings that might be wrong, or switches that might be in the wrong position? It's still way too early for me to be thinking there's something wrong with the camera, I think.
Thanks again,
Malcolm

Malcolm Hamilton May 22nd, 2008 08:26 PM

O.K. - - I think it's that I had the little switch just under the XLR input in the wrong position. It was at Line, which I realize is wrong.
Should it be Mic + 48V?
Sorry for 'Crying Wolf'... I thought I'd checked everything.
Will now plug the RF back in and give it a whirl.
thanks, malcolm

Chris Medico May 22nd, 2008 08:27 PM

Very odd.. Hm..

I'll give a look at the camera in the morning when I get to the shop and let you know how it is configured on my end.

Chris Medico May 22nd, 2008 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton (Post 881912)
O.K. - - I think it's that I had the little switch just under the XLR input in the wrong position. It was at Line, which I realize is wrong.
Should it be Mic + 48V?
Sorry for 'Crying Wolf'... I thought I'd checked everything.
Will now plug the RF back in and give it a whirl.
thanks, malcolm

Ok, yea that would do it. If you are running a wireless set it for MIC and turn off phantom power.

Malcolm Hamilton May 22nd, 2008 08:40 PM

thanks Chris. Phantom power turned off. I appreciate your help with this.
Cheers, Malcolm

Chris Medico May 22nd, 2008 08:45 PM

Your welcome.

I hope you are enjoying that camera. Its a nice one for sure!

Chris

Malcolm Hamilton May 22nd, 2008 09:13 PM

It's fantastic... but what I thought would be a few days of screening the training DVD, and trying to familiarize myself with everything, is now turning into a week... And tonight, I realized I need glasses, so I can see all the tiny switches.
regards, malcolm

Mike Williams May 22nd, 2008 10:25 PM

Only the beggining

I wish you all the best! My few days of screening are turning into months. This cam is very intense! Get ready to do a ton of post CC if you don't have the time to dial the cam in just right.

The first thing I thought of was the 48V power. I use the set up you mentioned almost daily and I've gotten good at the little switch:)

Have fun :)

Malcolm Hamilton May 23rd, 2008 06:28 AM

thanks Mike... I was asked yesterday to shoot something today, and guess what... I'm renting at Z1U. I can't bring myself to shoot with my EX1 until I'm more familiar with it. But at some point, I realize, I'm going to have to bite the bullet. Plan to practice this weekend.
Cheers, malcolm