PMW-EX30 SxS Deck - USB or i.LINK at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

PMW-EX30 SxS Deck - USB or i.LINK

Hi there,

Does anyone know if the upcoming PMW-EX30 SxS deck will support data read/writes on the i.link port or is that limited to the USB port?

As everyone knows, i.Link (Firewire) tends to be quicker for transfers so obviously that would be the preferable connection if possible.

SG
Steve Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Both...
http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowP...gory=XDCAMVTRs
Old May 24th, 2008, 04:15 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hollister View Post
Both...
Not quite right, sorry.

Has both interfaces, however, Firewire is only available for HDV and DVCam In and Out. For no other format, according to specs.
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 06:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kraft View Post
Not quite right, sorry.

Has both interfaces, however, Firewire is only available for HDV and DVCam In and Out. For no other format, according to specs.
Yes... this is what I was questioning - whether file read/writes to the card could be performed over Firewire or USB. I figured it might be limited to USB for files.

So since it is a dual card slot deck, will that mount two drives on the client PC it is connected to?

SG
Old May 24th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gibbons View Post
So since it is a dual card slot deck, will that mount two drives on the client PC it is connected to?
Yes it does Steve. I worked the EX Workflow Pavilion in Sony's booth at NAB this year. Spent 4 days with that little deck and all the other forthcoming EX goodies ( I love the 60 gb hard drive they're bringing out for the EX).

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 09:05 AM   #6
New Boot

Greg, could you explain what's the advantage of having this XDCAM-EX deck, and do you have a sense of when will the camera-mounting hard drive would be available. Ballpark estimates are ok. I just need to put this in the calendar for budgetary purposes.

Thanks.
Luis Figueroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Figueroa View Post
Greg, could you explain what's the advantage of having this XDCAM-EX deck, and do you have a sense of when will the camera-mounting hard drive would be available. Ballpark estimates are ok. I just need to put this in the calendar for budgetary purposes.
Hi Luis,

The hard drive is expected to be available in July but pricing was not confirmed as of NAB.

As to the EX deck, it is a full out studio deck, capable of recording via HDSDI and real time downconversion to SD (a feature the camera lacks). Think of it as a card based version of the optical F70/75 decks.

i think the deck was supposed to retail at about $6K.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Hi Luis,

As to the EX deck, it is a full out studio deck, capable of recording via HDSDI and real time downconversion to SD (a feature the camera lacks).

-gb-
Hi Greg,

I need to output my finished edited product in both HD and SD format. Do you think it's possible with this deck to record the edited HD footage (1080 50i) from the pc back to the SxS cards within the deck so that this footage is then downconverted to SD (hopefully with very good quality as opposed to the current awful downconversion being done via software)?
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Yes it does Steve. I worked the EX Workflow Pavilion in Sony's booth at NAB this year. Spent 4 days with that little deck and all the other forthcoming EX goodies ( I love the 60 gb hard drive they're bringing out for the EX).

-gb-
Thanks for the info on the deck Greg - we are anxiously awaiting one.

By the way, what type of display/capacity notification does the 60GB SxS hard drive have?

SG
Old May 25th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cassar View Post
I need to output my finished edited product in both HD and SD format. Do you think it's possible with this deck to record the edited HD footage (1080 50i) from the pc back to the SxS cards within the deck so that this footage is then downconverted to SD (hopefully with very good quality as opposed to the current awful downconversion being done via software)?
From the Sony website:

"Down-converted SD outputs for interoperability with SD edit environments - SD-SDI, i.LINK (DVCAM), component, S-Video and composite. This allows footage to be acquired in HD, then downconverted for SD post production whilst retaining the HD rushes for archive purposes."

Hope that helps.

SG
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #11
Major Player

Thanks Steve but not really. I need to give my clients both a HD and a SD edited production. And I do not want to downconvert via software. Hence I'm thinking whether I can record the edited HD back to SxS cards within the deck so that the deck can do the downconversion of the edited production.
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:29 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Thanks Steve but not really. I need to give my clients both a HD and a SD edited production. And I do not want to downconvert via software. Hence I'm thinking whether I can record the edited HD back to SxS cards within the deck so that the deck can do the downconversion of the edited production.
Could you not just plug the i.LINK output (Firewire) of the deck into a set-top DVD recorder (available cheap everywhere) and do a digital SD dub that way?

SG
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:35 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Could you not just plug the i.LINK output (Firewire) of the deck into a set-top DVD recorder (available cheap everywhere) and do a digital SD dub that way?

SG
No since I need to record in 1080 50i format (hence the iLink is disabled) and I need to give a proper menu / chapter selection SD DVD version of the HD edited footage. A set-top DVD recorder does not give professional results.
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Do you think it's possible with this deck to record the edited HD footage (1080 50i) from the pc back to the SxS cards within the deck so that this footage is then downconverted to SD
You can write your edit out to the deck via HD SDI (to the SxS cards), then use the SD downconvert to get an SD version out via firewire (i.LINK) or SDI.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
By the way, what type of display/capacity notification does the 60GB SxS hard drive have?
A power indicator is about all. There is no LCD type display. The drive comes with a pigtail that converts the mini-usb on the drive to an SxS adapter that plugs directly into one of the camera card slots.

The drive is powered by a separate battery (same type the camera uses), or can be powered by AC adapter. It comes with an adjustable shoe attachment that mounts it to the top of the EX.

So, on the camera it would normally be battery powered, and connected to a card slot via the pigtail adapter.

Attached to computer as a mass storage device, it can be powered by AC adapter and attached via USB adapter cable.

Capacity is 60 gb and that gives 210 minutes at full 35mb quality.

Physically, it feels like the width and thickness of a deck of cards, but not quite as tall.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds