DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Capturing video from the EX1 directly (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/123488-capturing-video-ex1-directly.html)

Eddie Coates June 11th, 2008 04:12 AM

Capturing video from the EX1 directly

Ok, I am brand new to the Sony EX1 Camera.. I just bought it a few days ago.

Now here is my problem....

I am trying to capture the video I shot to my computer.

I have Sony Vegas 7.0 and Premiere Pro CS3

Neither Programs detect the Ex1..

I also installed the Software that came with the Ex1 as well "Clip Browser"

I also own a Sony FX1 , Sony Vegas Video 7.0 and Premiere Pro CS3 detect
the FX1 and i am able to capture the video from the FX1.

I am trying to capture the video I shot from the Sony EX1 directly to my computer to edit.
What am I doing wrong??? Please help anyone.

My PC : Q6700 Quadcore
4gigs of ram and 2terabites of storage
USB, firewire, ect...

What am I doing wrong???

Paul Kellett June 11th, 2008 04:38 AM

I "captured" a couple of days ago using my EX1 and vegas pro 8, (due to a problem i had which turned out to be clip browser playing up) no problems at all.
I plugged the cam in and turned it on, vegas saw the cam straight away and it appeared in the drop down list.
I have a friend who uses vegas 7 and it can't use the EX1 MXF footage, although i haven't tried the capture method with vegas 7.

There's a setting in the camera menu which has to be activated to allow output from the HDV/firewire socket on the cam, mine was set to off by default so that had to be switched on.
Look in the manual under i-link. Page108,114,124. according to the manual you have o record in a HDV format, ie 1080/60i, 1080/50i or 1080/25p.

Paul.

Eddie Coates June 11th, 2008 05:05 AM

Capture

I had already enabled the i-link connection before posting.

I use a firewire cable and it seems my PC is not seeing the EX1

That same cable is used with my Sony VX2000 and Sony FX1 and the cable works great.

But my PC is not seeing the EX1.

I use Windows XP PRO

I want to capture my footage directly from the EX1 to my computer.

uh oh... I recorded a scene with 1080/30P - Could that be the problem???

Paul Kellett June 11th, 2008 08:17 AM

Could be, according to the manual.
But on the other hand the pc doesn't know what format you've recorded until you hit the record button on the capture program. You're not even getting that far because your pc doesn't even see the cam in the first place.

Just to be clear, is the pc not seeing the cam or is it just the editing program not seeing the cam ?

If you got to "my computer" then look at all your drives, there should be 2 more (if you've got 2 cards in the cam). Plug the cam in via usb to try this.

Silly question but why are you trying to capture anyway ?
Why don't you just transfer the footage ?

Are you unsure of the procedure ? If so then don't worry, we've all been there !
This cam isn't about "capturing" footage in real time.

Paul.

James Huenergardt June 11th, 2008 08:22 AM

Make sure your video is SP not HQ. Only SP 1440x1080 will show up on the firewire port. HQ is full 1920 x 1080 and won't go out the port.

SP is HDV in reality.

Bob Grant June 11th, 2008 09:13 AM

Once you use the Clip Browser to convert to mxf Vegas 7 will edit the mxf files just fine.
As others have said trying to capture is the wrong approach.
As far as I know however the Clip Browser will not work via the firewire connection to the camera, you have to use the USB port.

Paul Kellett June 11th, 2008 09:31 AM

Bob, i put some of my MXF files on a portable hard-drive and took it to my friends house,who uses vegas 7. His vegas 7 couldn't use the files.

Paul.