DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Pre-Order PMWEX3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/123533-pre-order-pmwex3.html)

Mike Schell June 16th, 2008 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom (Post 893058)
Hi Mike

I really hope it does as I will most likely be buying one as just the 420 puts some people off so having another option would be great. If your box will start recording from the TC trigger I will get one then, for me that was the biggest problem. i will tell clients who want overcrank and timelapse that is will be on SxS. I have been hired by CVP Mitcorp to make overview videos of new products so I will really like to get my hand on one of these in tandem with the EX3/ EX1 to show people how it works and workflow.

One of the other main applications that attracts me to this product is it will work with other cameras with HD SDI out.

When shooting with other tape based cameras if will let me record some or all rushes for me to look back on at the end of the day on my macbook pro. Something I am not able to do currently. For example am DP in Germany tomorrow for a few days tomorrow shooting on an HDX900 DVC PRO HD, I would love to be able to look at what we have done but I won't. Am so used to it from shooting on my F350 or with P2/ EX1.

Phil

Hi Phil-
I'll keep you abreast of our progress. We will be testing the incrementing time-code question later this week.

I now have a better understanding of the overcrank/undercrank and yes this is a feature that will require SxS cards for capture. We may be able to implement this function in our box, but that will require more study.

BTW, our 100 Mbps 4:2:2 Long-GOP is above HDCAM quality (according to the Sony white paper on XDCAM CODEC technology), and to my eye, visually identical to uncompressed.

Yes, the universality of HD-SDI makes nano/XDR a tool useful with a wide range of cameras. Besides playback on your Mac Pro, you can stream out HD-SDI and if you add an HD-SDI to HDMI converter, view on virtually any flat screen.

Ryan Postel June 18th, 2008 11:48 AM

Phil - Thanks for the advice. After all, it was your great video review of the camera a couple months back that got me into the camera in the first place. Saving the cash for cards will be important especially if some of these dealers may not be throwing in a small one to start off with.

Does anyone have experience in how many SxS cards they go through in a full day of shooting?

Jason Bodnar June 18th, 2008 12:10 PM

Depends on what you mean by a full day of shooting...and what you are shooting. I have two 16GB and two 8GB and have shot a lot of action sports for 8-10 hr days...and have not even used the two 8GB cards yet. One thing I noticed is I am a lot more selective with my shots now that I have the ability to record as soon as I hit the button instead of having a delay and I can also review my last shot very easy. This all saves a ton of wasted record time compared to just letting a tape roll. Two to three hrs of footage for me with out having to offload is fine for most of the stuff I shoot. If needed I can just use the two 8GB cards while offloading the two 16GB cards and continue to shoot if need be. This new tapeless workflow has completely changed my shooting style and I get all the shots I want without as much wasted tape so to speak. One thing to be aware of is shooting 720 60 slow mo will eat up more card than 1080p 30...Again it all depends on what you are shooting... and your shooting style... but I really could not see needing more than two 8GB and two 16GB cards...That gives you plenty of time to record and offload.

Mike Schell June 20th, 2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Schell (Post 894195)
Hi Phil-
I'll keep you abreast of our progress. We will be testing the incrementing time-code question later this week.

Just wanted to confirm that the incrementing time-code approach will definitely work as a record trigger on Flash XDR / nanoFlash. A live shot out of the EX1 will produce a constant time-code value in the HD-SDI stream. As soon as you press the record button, the timecode will start to increment, which is our trigger to start recording.

When you power down the EX1, the nanoFlash will detect the loss of incoming HD-SDI signal and automatically go to low power mode to conserve battery power (we are targeting less than 1W power). As soon as the camera is powered-up, nanoFlash will wake up (about 3 seconds) and be ready to record.

Jerry Matese June 23rd, 2008 04:06 PM

Cranky

I am disappointed the Nano/XDR will not support under/overcranking, however does it support 720/60p? and if so does it work with all codec rates currently offered or are we limited to 1080 24/30 frame rates.

Mike Schell June 24th, 2008 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Matese (Post 897408)
I am disappointed the Nano/XDR will not support under/overcranking, however does it support 720/60p? and if so does it work with all codec rates currently offered or are we limited to 1080 24/30 frame rates.

Hi Jerry-
Under/Overcrank may be a possibility in the future, but we will need to study in more depth.

Yes, we do support 720p60 and 720p50 (for that matter) at all the various CODEC rates (50/100 Mbps Long-GOP and 100/160 I-Frame 4:2:2 full-raster 1280x720).

Jon Braeley June 25th, 2008 06:42 AM

I see that B & H are now taking pre-orders. They changed their web site listing to allow names to be addded to their orders for the EX3.

I got my hands on the EX3 on Monday at my local dealer. Very nice! I plonked down my deposit and they tell me that it could by the 2nd week in July for delivery. I am #3 in line. They are receiving 5 units only.

The info on the Flash XDR looks great for the EX3 workflow - but I see it's $5,000. Anyone confirm this price? Convergent Design please?

Ray Bell June 25th, 2008 09:09 AM

The price was shown to be $4500 for XDR and $3500 for the Nano, early adoptors get
some type of upgrade for free...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Braeley (Post 898305)
I see that B & H are now taking pre-orders. They changed their web site listing to allow names to be addded to their orders for the EX3.

I got my hands on the EX3 on Monday at my local dealer. Very nice! I plonked down my deposit and they tell me that it could by the 2nd week in July for delivery. I am #3 in line. They are receiving 5 units only.

The info on the Flash XDR looks great for the EX3 workflow - but I see it's $5,000. Anyone confirm this price? Convergent Design please?

Piotr Wozniacki June 25th, 2008 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Bell (Post 898390)
The price was shown to be $4500 for XDR and $3500 for the Nano, early adoptors get
some type of upgrade for free...

Ray, how do you mean - which upgrade is intended free for early adopters (I'm one of them :))

Ray Bell June 25th, 2008 09:51 AM

Piotr, Per this post....

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=124420

Piotr Wozniacki June 25th, 2008 10:27 AM

Thanks Ray - I've missed that one :)