DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX3's Black Balance, and the IR contamination problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/127559-ex3s-black-balance-ir-contamination-problem.html)

Piotr Wozniacki August 24th, 2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Reuter (Post 923728)
The EX1 does have black balance. I believe it's in the maintenance menu.

Yes it it there, but isn't active (grayed out) - at least with the 1.02 fw I still have.

Ryan Avery August 25th, 2008 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert St-Onge (Post 923273)
Ryan, will the IR 750 filter be available in circular threaded: 77mm, 52mm and other diameters?
If so, when can we expect to purchase them?

Robert,

We can make almost any common filter size of the True-Cut IR 750. We have a few 77mm sizes in-stock and will likely make those a regular limited stock item. The other sizes will be special order with an average 3 to 4 weeks lead time. You may contact your favorite dvinfo.net sponsor dealer, tell them the filter and size you want, and we will work together to get you a price.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Leonard Levy August 25th, 2008 01:04 PM

Ned, have you tested the IR750 under tungstun?

Dominik Seibold August 25th, 2008 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Raskin (Post 923477)
Is infrared light polarized?

Polarization isn't a property of special wavelengths. Most surfaces reflect diffuse, so they destroy any polarization, if there was any. Transparent stuff like glass is reflecting purely linear-polarized, if the light hits it with the brewster-angle of incidence.

Alex Raskin August 25th, 2008 01:50 PM

Dominik, then do I understand correctly that Polarizers block light more or less evenly throughout both visible and IR spectrum, and therefore do not work as IR blockers?

Ned Soltz August 25th, 2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonard Levy (Post 924663)
Ned, have you tested the IR750 under tungstun?

Not yet.

High priority this week is IR750 testing.

Ned

Dominik Seibold August 25th, 2008 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Raskin (Post 924678)
Dominik, then do I understand correctly that Polarizers block light more or less evenly throughout both visible and IR spectrum, and therefore do not work as IR blockers?

That's correct.

Ryan Avery August 29th, 2008 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominik Seibold (Post 924851)
That's correct.

Ditto that.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Lance Librandi September 5th, 2009 05:36 AM

Hi,
FYI I have a new EX3 with firmware 1.04-0084 and yes the IR problem is still there Sony really sucks on this one.
I have tried black balance, white balance and black balance again and it has not fixed the problem. I have just ordered a Tiffen 4 x 4 IR (IR680) due in 3 weeks to try to fix the problem. Most of my work is under QI lights. I had to do a interview yesterday and decided to not to use the Blonds and Redhead instead I use some new high intensity 2300K LED lights for the shoot. The images were great no IR contamination black were solid and crisp.
That’s great for close up work my problem is I do a lot of stage and musical productions that I have no control over lighting.
I would also be very interested in any tests using IR filters if some can post results.

Thanks

Piotr Wozniacki September 5th, 2009 07:23 AM

Please report how your 680 is doing, preferably post some grabs!

TIA,

Piotr

Dano Motley September 5th, 2009 10:37 AM

my ir problem dissapeared when i used the b&w 486 filter.

Dano

Brooks Graham September 5th, 2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dano Motley (Post 1315349)

Dano

Same here.

Also, the amount of IR which is allowed to hit the sensors is determined by a fixed hi-pass filter which is permanently attached to the CMOS sensor assembly inside the camera. I wouldn't have expected a firmware update to alter that. Many CMOS-based cameras exhibit this behavior. If you want to see an extreme example, Google "Leica M8 IR contamination" - it will make you feel better about your EX1/EX3. (If "Sony sucks on this" then so does RED, Canon, ...)

I frequently shoot under hot lights and the 486 filter lets me control how far down the spectrum to go.

Anthony McErlean September 6th, 2009 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dano Motley (Post 1315349)

Dano

Same here as well.