DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   anyone using a hand cart to pull gear around? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/127995-anyone-using-hand-cart-pull-gear-around.html)

Malcolm Hamilton August 13th, 2008 10:13 PM

anyone using a hand cart to pull gear around?

Hi again,
On a shoot, and thinking once again there must be a slightly easier way to move my gear around. does anyone use a hand cart?
Here's a link to some options I'm considering:

http://www.kart-a-bag.com/html/products.html

I'm also considering one of these (they're sold at Lee Valley Tools in Canada):

http://www.wescomfg.com/superlite.htm

If anyone has a hand cart they love, please let me know. I have two three-foot-long hard plastic cases (one for my tripod, other for my lighting gear), my Porta Brace camera case, and a big reflector board that won't fit into a case. Not a ton of stuff - - but too much to carry all at once (and I work alone).
Cheers, Malcolm

Leonard Levy August 13th, 2008 10:57 PM

Rock 'n Roller carts are great ,but heavier than those things.

Josh Bass August 14th, 2008 04:44 AM

Second Rock n Roller/Multi-Carts.

There are several different configurations and sizes, ranging in price from $100 to $200 or maybe $250. The larger ones can support a shelf system (you can have two tiers of surface on which to stack stuff) that you can buy for $60 and assemble in about 5 minutes (on set, I mean--you have to take it apart and put it together when you collapse the cart for transport, unless you have a van or something). Supposed to support around 500 lbs.

Next up from those carts would the Magliner carts. These run around $350 and are heavier duty than the rock n rollers, also larger. Also can support a shelf system.

I think the holy grail is the rubber maid (sp?) carts. Mucho surface area, mucho big. These will absolutely not fit in a regular size car, because they don't collapse. They're two-tiered, and don't come apart. I think they run around $500.

Richard Alvarez August 14th, 2008 05:32 AM

I haul tons of gear on my Rock N Roller multi-cart. Its the poor mans magliner - definately not as sturdy or customizable. But the Magliner EZ8 is $785 - so thats quite a difference in price.

I like the pneumatic wheels, I get a smoother ride than with the harder plastic wheels. I think that's the R12 model. Folds up nice and small. Not as sturdily built as the magliners, for sure.

BH Photo has them, so do Advona and others. Do a google search.

Josh Bass August 14th, 2008 06:21 AM

There are several wheel configurations. BAse model has all plastic wheels. Then you can get the smaller rubber wheels, or the large ones. I think the R12 is two small rubber ones, and two large, right? Mine has two large rubber, two plastic. YOu could always skimp at first, and then if you want the fancier wheels later, you can buy them separately for not too much.

Peter Wiley August 14th, 2008 07:17 AM

Filmtools makes a less expensive version of magliner-like carts and attachements.

Filmtools Custom-made Junior Convertible Hand Carts Fleet Pricing Available.

Leonard Levy August 14th, 2008 11:52 AM

Trouble with the pneumatic wheels is they lose air. I' have to carry a foot pump with me at all time for it.

Michael Sims August 15th, 2008 02:32 PM

I bought an aluminum convertible cart from Home Depot. It can either stand upright as a two wheel hand truck, or fold down to a four wheel cart. Cost about $175. It's fairly light weight with pneumatic wheels in the front when in four wheel mode. Having the larger wheels in the front alows it to handle bumps easier. The two handles let me hang my sand bags on the back.

Richard Alvarez August 15th, 2008 05:43 PM

I had my four air tires just fine for over a year. I went to add a 'little' air to the front left the other day, and blew it up... like exploded it. I was at a gas station and scared the hell out of everyone... my fault for not paying attention, its a small eight inch tire, should have used a hand pump.

Anyway, ordered a replacement wheel for like 12 dollars, put it on - good to go.

I like the air tires because they are smoother, quieter, can be used as a dolly in a pinch. The hard plastic casters can crack and chip too - theres downsides to each choice. The hard plastic vibrates over rough surfaces. Its a choice you have to make.

Robbert-Jan van der Does August 16th, 2008 01:59 PM

Hi Malcolm,

I have been using the Kart-a-Bag Tri-Kart 800 for more than 16 years now. I had it loaded with flightcases, tripods, light stands and the lot. I took it from Bangladesh to California and from the North Cape to South Africa and it never let me down. The nice thing about it is that you can use it as a two-wheel trolley (you can even drag the thing up the stairs) or you can lower the rear support wheels and make it a 4 wheel trolley, so you don't have to keep it balanced when it is top heavy. Just let it rest and push or drag the cart, very easy. When folded down it is very compact.

Regards,
Robbert-Jan

Malcolm Hamilton August 18th, 2008 08:49 AM

thanks for all the info about carts... I don't think I have nearly as much gear as some of you do (just more than I can carry in one go), so some of the carts are more heavy-duty than I need. I like the idea of the Kart-A-Bag Tri Kart you just mentioned, Robbert-Jan; probably more my speed. Will look into it now.
Cheers, Malcolm

Bill Mecca August 18th, 2008 09:40 AM

I use the Rock N Roller cart, one set of pneumatic wheels. I have a Magliner Senior as well, but that sits in the closet. The rNr folds down nicely and fits well in my Ford Focus hatchback with all the gear. The magliner just won't fit.

Richard Alvarez August 18th, 2008 11:11 AM

That is the big plus on the rock-n-roller carts, they fold up really small. I have a buddy who totes all his gear in a Ford taurus sedan - its nice that it folds up into the trunk. (He has two pneumatic wheels).