DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   How can you mount the PHU-60k to the EX-1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/128705-how-can-you-mount-phu-60k-ex-1-a.html)

Christoph Gelfand August 25th, 2008 07:42 PM

How can you mount the PHU-60k to the EX-1?

Just bought the PHU-60k and it seems the only way to mount is short of gaff taping it to the handle would be using this device which would extend the hot shoe mount.

However, I think the balance would be kind of funky with this device. I am wondering if anyone has an idea of some sort of clamp or holding box that would work for this unit- because I think it will revolutionize the way we shoot this camera, once we can make it work...

Greg Boston August 25th, 2008 08:24 PM

Yeah the little swivel device is meant for attaching the unit to the shoe mount. We had one mounted on an EX1 at NAB and it didn't feel too awkward to me.

-gb-

Piotr Wozniacki August 26th, 2008 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston (Post 924852)
Yeah the little swivel device is meant for attaching the unit to the shoe mount. We had one mounted on an EX1 at NAB and it didn't feel too awkward to me.

-gb-

The problem with the single shoe on the EX1 is that we often need it for an on-camera light; the second shoe at the back of the EX3 is a much better solution.

I'm going to have a similar dilemma when my NanoFlash arrives...

Bob Grant August 26th, 2008 06:01 AM

The Rycote 037303 Hot Shoe Extension should solve your problem.

Piotr Wozniacki August 26th, 2008 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Grant (Post 924991)
The Rycote 037303 Hot Shoe Extension should solve your problem.

I have a similar thing, but more than one device on the camera front is bad for balancing (no problems when on tripod).

Christoph Gelfand August 26th, 2008 06:41 AM

Yeah that's what I was trying to link to in my original post. I feel like the Rycote device will act as a balancing bar that won't be able to hold the video light AND the PHU60k...

Bob Grant August 26th, 2008 06:52 AM

There are other devices that wrap around a camera's handle and provide a number of threaded holes for mounting things. Problem is they make the camera hard to hold by the handle and are rather expensive for what they are.

I agree, the lack of mounting points on the EX1 is quite an issue. We've got two full sets of Zacuto rigs which are very nice and solve the problem entirely but at around 50% of the price of the EX1, ouch!

Christoph Gelfand August 26th, 2008 07:02 AM

Wow! I looked at the UGRIP series of mounts and it looked like they had some possible solutions, but again for $500+ which seems outrageous when all you need is a shoe mount at the back of the camera.

Honestly, using the cheapo shoulder mount with the Be-Bob Lux Light and Battery adapter as well as wireless and the PHU60k seems daunting- perhaps there's a way to throw it back on the shoulder mount?

Piotr Wozniacki August 26th, 2008 07:17 AM

I can tell you that with my old good V1E, I used to keep the DR60 disk in my breast pocket when shooting hand-held. With even the smaller EX1 battery being much bigger than the 570, this might not work with the PHU-60K, though...

Still hope the NanoFlash will be possible to be used this way, when powered through the Bebob battery adapter.