DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   How do we know which EX1 cameras need which warranty upgrades? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/133634-how-do-we-know-ex1-cameras-need-warranty-upgrades.html)

John Peterson September 19th, 2008 05:22 PM

How do we know which EX1 cameras need which warranty upgrades?

I have seen a lot of posts regarding issues to bring an EX1 in to a Sony Repair Facility for upgrading and repair. Is there a serial number database that tells us which units need to go in for which upgrade and/or repair? It can't be that you first have to experience the problem before you know what the camera should have upgraded.

My serial number is 0105xxx. I bought it in June. How do I know what to bring it in for?

Thanks,

John

Serena Steuart September 19th, 2008 07:48 PM

A certain sign would be your battery draining when the camera is switched off. The fix is the replacement of 2 PCBs. Any camera with a firmware version earlier than 1.05.

John Peterson September 19th, 2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serena Steuart (Post 939827)
A certain sign would be your battery draining when the camera is switched off. The fix is the replacement of 2 PCBs. Any camera with a firmware version earlier than 1.05.

Thanks Serena,

Mine came with firmware 1.05 so I guess it is OK in terms of battery drain. There were other complaints about letters rubbing off, back focus problems, to name a few. What should I bring it in for? What was the source you used to know that cameras after firmware 1.05 do not have the battery drain problem. How do we know? I guess that is what this post is about.

John

Tom Roper September 19th, 2008 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Peterson (Post 939832)
Thanks Serena,

Mine came with firmware 1.05 so I guess it is OK in terms of battery drain. There were other complaints about letters rubbing off, back focus problems, to name a few. What should I bring it in for? What was the source you used to know that cameras after firmware 1.05 do not have the battery drain problem. How do we know? I guess that is what this post is about.

John

Not necessarily. My EX1 from late May 2008 shipped with firmware 1.05 and it has the battery drain issue.

Serena Steuart September 20th, 2008 01:47 AM

If your firmware was v1.11 I think you could be fairly confident that your camera incorporates the upgrades, but I would still check all of the things that have been problems. Back focus, vignetting and battery drain are all easy to check.

John Peterson September 21st, 2008 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serena Steuart (Post 939930)
If your firmware was v1.11 I think you could be fairly confident that your camera incorporates the upgrades, but I would still check all of the things that have been problems. Back focus, vignetting and battery drain are all easy to check.

Test Number 1: Battery Drain

Charged a BP-U30 fully and left it in the camera for 15 hours. Put it back on the charger and it took 33 minutes to fully charge again indicating a 25% loss.

Is that the battery drain issue or is that normal?

John

Tom Roper September 21st, 2008 02:25 PM

That's the battery drain issue. I have it too. If you don't want to send the camera back, just don't leave the battery on the camera.

You probably also have the backfocus issue as well. Point the camera at a wall from 6-10 feet away and execute the flangeback calibration from the service menu. It's easy.

Paul Kellett September 21st, 2008 02:34 PM

Backfocus procedure here

Paul Kellett Channel on Vimeo

Paul.

John Peterson September 22nd, 2008 08:49 PM

Thanks Tom....Thanks Paul,

I will try the back focus adjustment. If it doesn't work, I'll have Sony look at that as well as replace the circuit boards for the battery drain problem that, unfortunately, it appears I have.

Thanks again,

John

Serena Steuart September 23rd, 2008 06:37 AM

John, before running the back focus procedure you should check that it it is in error.

John Peterson September 23rd, 2008 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serena Steuart (Post 941491)
John, before running the back focus procedure you should check that it it is in error.

Is there a procedure for checking that other than the two aforementioned re-calibration techniques?

This is my first camera that even had a back focus adjustment.

John

Serena Steuart September 23rd, 2008 07:26 PM

Have a look at this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...s-problem.html

If back focus is correct the lens will hold focus as you zoom. You need to check with and without the ND filters (use fast shutter speed to control exposure).

Looking at Paul Kellet's vimeo posting that doesn't deal with back focus (just PP). Ah, there it is on the next page
http://vimeo.com/paulkellett/page:2
Do that after you find BF needs correcting. Sometimes the necessary fix is replacement of the lens assembly, which Sony will do in the upgrade process.