EX3 For Newsgathering at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 12th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #1
Tourist

EX3 For Newsgathering

I'm using the Sony EX3 for newsgathering and realized it has a flaw. You cannot transfer video back to the camera. Does anyone use the EX3 for news and what kind of workflow are you using. I'm with a Macbook Pro, and Final Cut Pro. What settings are you using on the camera? I use 720 30p otherwise it has a slowmo look.

Cheers
Jim Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I often do ENG style work.
For HD broadcast you'd use 720p60 or 1080i60. Personally I like shooting 1080p30.
If you're getting a "slo mo" look and you're not shooting S&Q mode then your NLE is set up wrong.

Why would you go back to the camera at all?
I burn BPAV to DL-DVD
In addition you can back BPAV up to an external hard drive.

If I'm FTPing clips some place I'll often encode to MPEG2 Program (or Transport) Stream or a very high quality H264.

BPAV though is the "universal" since they can then convert it to whatever they need for their NLE on whatever OS they use.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 06:50 AM   #3
Tourist

Transfer to camera

Hey there!
Thanks for the quick reply--I found this very helpful. The reason I need to transfer it back to the camera is because for the time being I need to feed from my camera to our station via a microwave truck. I can't seem to find a way to export my finished story out of Final Cut and back onto the camera so I can hook it up to the truck and feed.

Any ideas?

Can this be done with MXF?

Thanks again

=)
Jim Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Your truck can only handle SDI or HD-SDI? Time to retool for a file based (and many times faster than real time) system. That's a MAJOR benefit when it comes to ENG. You might want to get a Matrox MXO2 for your laptop for about $1600. Your truck really should be able to take Ethernet from your laptop though.
Old October 13th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

This is an issue that I will be facing soon as well. My main feed point is even lower quality with Composite Video.

If I have a sat it is SDI

I am wondering what the best solution is to go from my Macbook to Composite in real time. With the option of SDI as well.
Ben Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Matrix MXO2 has Composite out

see this
http://www.matrox.com/video/media/pd..._selection.pdf
B&H and I'm sure other DVi sponsors sell it. It's pretty much designed for your situation.

This is the specs from B&H site
Matrox | MXO2 External Video I/O for Mac | MXO2 | B&H Photo Video
Old October 13th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #7
Regular Crew

To export your video out of FCP on a laptop via HD-SDI , I was going to recommend the AJA IO HD. But the Matrox looks like a much cheaper option...
Brian Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Brian, the MXO2 is designed for laptop use and it's $1600. The AJA IO HD does realtime convert to AppleProRes on input and is way overkill for Jim needs. He needs a flexible, portable output device which is what the MXO2 is.

There's also an MXO which is geared to accurate affordable monitoring (think color grading using an Apple Cinema Display or Dell equivalent) which is great when you consider what a decent LCD for color grading HD costs.
Old October 13th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #9
Regular Crew

That looks perfect.

Thanks!
Ben Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #10
Inner Circle

The next version of the Sony Transfer tool for FCP will support write back to the camera. It should be out fairly soon.
Old October 13th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Well, I'll be . . . .
Alister, when are they including the Window Time Code Burn In feature?
And what about the automated re-transfer of clips used in the timeline feature when you want to bring offline media back on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
The next version of the Sony Transfer tool for FCP will support write back to the camera. It should be out fairly soon.
Old October 14th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #12
Major Player

How is the EX3 ergonomically? Can you guys work all day with this semi-shoulder design without strain?

Jeroen
Jeroen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #13
Major Player

Jeroen,

I'm using the EX3 for long hours without any major problem. However I have bought the Bebob Coco EX3 V-lock battery attachment and I have bought the Blueshape 210WHr V-lock battery (the battery only weighing at least 1.34 Kg). With these 2 accessories the EX3 became more back heavy and more side heavy(leaning to the right hand side). By this way the camera have become more like a shoulder camera. I'm also resting the camera on my shoulder as opposed of having it rest against my shoulder. There are 2 drawbacks with this way:

1) the long viewfinder, even went taken furthest back, tend to be slightly jutting closer to the eye and

2) after a couple of hours you can get a bit of an elbow pain due to the tight closure of the elbow towards your shoulder.

But as I said I've filmed for long hours with the EX3 and found it to be acceptable (though I would have preferred a proper shoulder camera). I would also like to add that I have a PAG light on board and a cordless receiver at the back.
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cassar View Post
Jeroen,

I'm using the EX3 for long hours without any major problem. However I have bought the Bebob Coco EX3 V-lock battery attachment and I have bought the Blueshape 210WHr V-lock battery (the battery only weighing at least 1.34 Kg). With these 2 accessories the EX3 became more back heavy and more side heavy(leaning to the right hand side). By this way the camera have become more like a shoulder camera. I'm also resting the camera on my shoulder as opposed of having it rest against my shoulder. There are 2 drawbacks with this way:

1) the long viewfinder, even went taken furthest back, tend to be slightly jutting closer to the eye and

2) after a couple of hours you can get a bit of an elbow pain due to the tight closure of the elbow towards your shoulder.
Thanks, Brian. I'm going to try and fit a shoulder support on the EX3. Messing around at the dealer's I found it not too comfortable. If it doesn't work like a shouldercamera, I might even be better off with the EX1 (plus shoulder support).
Jeroen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 04:28 AM   #15
Tourist

Exporting for 4:3 broadcast

We aren't HD yet so I have to crop my video to a standard 4:3 broadcast. Everytime I try, I have a hard time getting it out of FCP using firewire and a DV converter. Is there any easy work flow to do this?

I edit in 1080i60 then use conversion to create a DV/NTSC QT Movie, cropped to 640X480. Then I import it back to FCP 6 for output. This isn't always working because when I bring the file into the timeline it wants to 'change the settings' of the timeline to match the clip. Only thing is it won't play back through the Firewire in 'realtime'

HELP!
Jim Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds