DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   does anyone know how to recover deleted footage from sxs cards? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/136088-does-anyone-know-how-recover-deleted-footage-sxs-cards.html)

Kathleen Little October 15th, 2008 03:13 AM

does anyone know how to recover deleted footage from sxs cards?

Hi folks, I reformatted the wrong 16gb sxs card I have by mistake thinking it was another one that I had already imported into my hard drive. I reformatted it on my ex1. the footage that I deleted on the card hasn't yet been imported into my hard drive. is there any way of recovering the footage? any help much appreciated. cheers kathleen

Paul Mailath October 15th, 2008 03:35 AM

ouch!

You might have a chance depending on the way it was deleted. it may have just deleted the directory information and the actual data might be still available. You will need a recovery tool :

Free Hard Disk Utilities: Recover Deleted Files and Lost Data | PC World

you can try these but I'm not sure what format the card actually uses.

please make sure you post the results of your efforts - I'm sure a lot of people are interested in this one

Gary Nattrass October 15th, 2008 03:46 AM

double ouch!

sorry to hear that and I am so glad I went for the Z7/S270 combo so that the tape is always on the shelf.

As said it may be possible with some recovery software as most formatting in just a directory overwrite.

It may be that it has kept the original directory info (this is what we used to do at AMS Neve just in case) as a hidden file. Contact sony prime support and they will advise you the real options.

P.S. one handy hint get a dymo machine and label all your cards, not a final solution but it may help in the future.

George Kroonder October 15th, 2008 04:01 AM

Stellar Phoenix have products to recover files from all types of media. You can download the appropriate version and have it scan the card. It will report back what it can recover in detail.

To actually recover you have to buy the key, online being the fastest option for that.

I have recovered gigabytes of harddisk files with their products and can highly recommend it.

George/

Ross Herewini October 15th, 2008 05:40 AM

Hi Kathleen,

I'm sure others know more than me, but I'll throw in a couple of thoughts...

One of my colleagues accidentally deleted a card and he tried a program called "THE UNDELETE" and met with relative success.

I just cleared a card and then recorded 4 clips onto it, copied the clips onto my laptops hard drive, and reformatted the card in the EX1. Checked using the laptop, all the clips were gone.
Downloaded "THE UNDELETE", and pointed it at the SxS card, and it was able to see all the files that were deleted, and some others that were also still on the card.

I checked the directory structure against my copies on the HD and they all lined up.

The next step in the recovery required me to purchase the software... well I'll leave that one to you. Can't guarantee anything, but it looked good to me.

I think these SxS cards are like MiniDisc, the data stays on the card until overwritten, with the TOC ( Table of contents ) the bit that changes. As long as you don't write anything further to the disk you should be ok.

I think.

Best of luck
Ross Herewini
Sydney

Scott Hayes October 15th, 2008 07:13 AM

these SxS have protect tabs on them. yu should use them to prevent this from occurring.
good luck.

Christoph Gelfand October 16th, 2008 05:54 PM

In my experience, having lost footage because of a Shotput Express error, I attempted a number of card recovery options off the net with no success. Additionally, I submitted my card to Tekserve in NYC who specialize in data recovery, also with no success. In the end, I lost half a day of footage and just ate the cost of crew, time, etc...

Ross Herewini October 16th, 2008 11:59 PM

Does Shotput Express work from the camera, or once the card is put into the laptop. If it is the latter, then Kathleen may still be able to recover the files,as she deleted from her camera. Maybe Shotput wipes more than just the TOC / directory.

Kathleen how are you going with the recovery, I'm sure everyone would be keen to know where you are up to.

Kathleen Little October 20th, 2008 12:48 PM

hi folks, still working away at finding a solution. will let you know as soon as I find it. cheers kathleen

Paul Newman October 21st, 2008 01:18 AM

I've tried numerous recovery programmes which work with most file formats, but not with SxS cards - some will recover the mpeg's but they are corrupt and will not play, I've recovered the entire BPAV file structure which is identified by ClipBrowser and in fact opens the clips and shows the first second or two, then fails. Cannot output the files to mxf or anything else either.

I've run a media recovery programme on one mpeg file which made no difference, it still won't open in anything I have here.

Paul

Kathleen Little October 26th, 2008 07:47 AM

Hi folks, just to let you know, I've had no luck retrieving the data so I've since reformatted the card. stellar phoenix were very helpful but had no luck with it. sony prime support did tell me that there was no way to recover the files but I thought I'd try it anyway. will be much more careful in future! thanks everyone for your input!

Perrone Ford October 26th, 2008 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Hayes (Post 951464)
these SxS have protect tabs on them. yu should use them to prevent this from occurring.
good luck.

Amazingly, The tabs show RED when protected and not when armed to record. I'd call that backwards!

Greg Boston October 26th, 2008 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 955724)
Amazingly, The tabs show RED when protected and not when armed to record. I'd call that backwards!

Red is often used for 'safety' or stop. On my shotguns, the red line is exposed on the safety button when in trigger safe mode.

But, as you point out, red is also a warning indicator and I think that's the logic of using it for REC indication. Not unlike the flashing red "ON AIR" sign outside of a studio.

So IMHO, it has to be taken in proper context to make sense.

-gb-

Paul Newman October 26th, 2008 11:44 AM

Doesn't really help this situation, but I've recovered many files from SDHC cards that I've deleted for testing this process. I've used Card Recovery and Recover my Files also Easy file undelete all with considerable success - the upshot is that the SDHC combo has a hidden advantage over SxS - that of possible data recovery.

All the SxS card test I did were total failures.

Paul

Peter Kraft October 26th, 2008 03:09 PM

Paul,
these failures are more than astonishing, each SxS card being formatted
in FAT32. Did you use a PC or a Mac for recovery attempts? I'm asking as
I had this problem once when trying to recover an SD card from a Mac and
failed while the recovery from a PC worked flawlessly. Never again made
that experience and still have no clue why.

Will conduct my tests as soon as possible.

How's the weather at IBZ at the moment? Unfortunately the forecast for 4me
looks pretty bad right now.

pe.