DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Nikon to EX3 adapter made by MTF (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/136094-nikon-ex3-adapter-made-mtf.html)

Ofer Levy October 15th, 2008 07:14 AM

Nikon to EX3 adapter made by MTF

Just got my new Nikon to EX3 adapter made by Mike Tapa. Excellent craftsmanship and works great! I have used it with a range on Nikon lenses up to 600mm 5.6 and it delivers the goods ! Its great for wildlife as due to the small sensor relative to the 35mm sensor – you get a x5.5 crop factor !
It is basically a ring – no optics or automatic control but I use it with manual focus lenses. Histogram, peaking, zebra, works fine.
Here is a photo of the EX3 with a Nikon 600mmf5.6 mounted via the MTF adapter examined by my 15 months old assistant Jonathan Levy.
Ofer Levy Nature Photographer - New Photos

Cheers,
Ofer Levy Nature Photographer

Ted OMalley October 15th, 2008 07:19 AM

no rails?

Definitely don't wan't to add an Anton-Bauer or IDX battery on the back of that!

Steve Phillipps October 15th, 2008 07:53 AM

Don't doubt that it's Jonathan Levy, but surely it's the 500mm f4P, not the 600?
Excuse me for being such a Nikon geek!
Steve

Ned Soltz October 15th, 2008 09:07 AM

Great shots!

But, oy, I would really be concerned about hanging an EX-3 off that lens without either rails or tripod support.

Andrew Hollister October 15th, 2008 09:28 AM

I wouldn't be too concerned

Ofer Levy October 15th, 2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Hollister (Post 951535)
I wouldn't be too concerned, with that angle, it looks as though it will just swing down and hit the boy in the head... young Jonathan will prevent any real damage ;)

Your sense of humor is not appreciated!

Steve Phillipps October 16th, 2008 02:26 AM

Ofer, another option instead of having a support plate, if you get a second pan handle, you should be able to turn it so that it rests under the camera base and gives it some support.
Steve

Piotr Wozniacki October 16th, 2008 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps (Post 951910)
Ofer, another option instead of having a support plate, if you get a second pan handle, you should be able to turn it so that it rests under the camera base and gives it some support.
Steve

Oh yes, Ofer - by all means, give some more support to your precious rig!

Mick Jenner October 16th, 2008 02:59 AM

Hi Ofer,

Here's a link for a home made support
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/under-wat...-sony-ex3.html
several threads down
Regards

Mick

Ofer Levy October 16th, 2008 04:29 AM

Thanks guys !! I will definitely get some more support!!

Steve Phillipps October 16th, 2008 04:34 AM

Don't do it just because we say so, your judgment is best, maybe we're all wrong and you can by without it. I know your position, being a wildlife photographer you want to keep everything as simple, and most importantly light as possible, so anything you can do without then great. I would worry about the integrity of cam and lens mounts, but also you'll probably get more shake if the two units are not both supported.
Very best wishes,
Steve

Dean Harrington October 16th, 2008 05:46 AM

Where did you get that ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ofer Levy (Post 951465)
Just got my new Nikon to EX3 adapter made by Mike Tapa. Excellent craftsmanship and works great! I have used it with a range on Nikon lenses up to 600mm 5.6 and it delivers the goods ! Its great for wildlife as due to the small sensor relative to the 35mm sensor – you get a x5.5 crop factor !
It is basically a ring – no optics or automatic control but I use it with manual focus lenses. Histogram, peaking, zebra, works fine.
Here is a photo of the EX3 with a Nikon 600mmf5.6 mounted via the MTF adapter examined by my 15 months old assistant Jonathan Levy.
Ofer Levy Nature Photographer - New Photos

Cheers,
Ofer Levy Nature Photographer

What the link or name of the adapter? Not to worry ... found it. Does anyone have an example of the 5.5X magnification factor the Tapa adapter gives?

Steve Phillipps October 16th, 2008 05:47 AM

It's MTF Services Ltd Ex Optex engineer Mike Tapa. He's just re-jigged his website.

Steve

Eli Schmukler October 16th, 2008 11:22 AM

I just noticed that the company making the adapter also makes a support. Here is a link.

Lens and matte box support

I know nothing about it, but, I thought some of you might be interested in knowing it exists.

Ned Soltz October 16th, 2008 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eli Schmukler (Post 952042)
I just noticed that the company making the adapter also makes a support. Here is a link.

Lens and matte box support

I know nothing about it, but, I thought some of you might be interested in knowing it exists.

That is exactly the kind of support I had in mind when I saw Ofer's set up.