DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1 for National Geographic? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/136273-ex1-national-geographic.html)

Mathieu Ghekiere October 19th, 2008 06:02 AM

EX1 for National Geographic?

Hello,

We're busy with (very early) preparations and meetings for a documentary for National Geographic, and we wanted to know if an EX1 is allowed for 100% as shooting format, XDCAM HD EX.
After a long search on Google, I couldn't find the technical sheet from National Geographic with technical demands. I've seen those floating around this forum a couple of time, but I couldn't find it back.

If anyone has the link to the sheet or list, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,

Arild Pedersen October 19th, 2008 07:17 AM

Discovery

Not able to locate the National Geographic spec, but found the Discovery Tech Spec at
http://www.videoscope.com/pdf_files/...DSpec.logo.pdf

Mathieu Ghekiere October 19th, 2008 08:48 AM

Thanks, Arild! I've heard Discovery is owned by National Geographic, so it gives us a more concrete idea about what to expect. Seems that XDCAM EX is allowed in HQ for Discovery.

Ronn Kilby October 19th, 2008 09:10 AM

Actually

Discovery is not owned by National Geographic. It's owned by Discovery Communications, LLC in Silver Spring, MD. National Geographic Channel (actually Discovery Channel's rival) is owned by National Geographic Television & Film (50%) and News Corporation (50%).

Jason Davenport October 19th, 2008 12:55 PM

Can't you just call the client and find out..

Ted OMalley October 19th, 2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere (Post 952949)
Hello,

We're busy with (very early) preparations and meetings for a documentary for National Geographic, and we wanted to know if an EX1 is allowed for 100% as shooting format, XDCAM HD EX.
After a long search on Google, I couldn't find the technical sheet from National Geographic with technical demands. I've seen those floating around this forum a couple of time, but I couldn't find it back.

Thanks and best regards,

I am not sure if it matters, but you might need to consider that XDCAM HD and XDCAM EX are different. Perhaps to the client it doesn't matter.

XDCAM HD includes the PDW-F335, F355, and 700.
XDCAM EX includes the EX1 and EX3 only

Dean Harrington October 19th, 2008 05:09 PM

Convergent design ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere (Post 952949)
Hello,

Thanks and best regards,

I will be picking up the nanno/flash unit because it offers 4.2.2 50 meg and 100 meg recording and that falls well within specs of every broadcaster. XDCAM HD is 4.2.2 ~ 50 meg recording.

Jay Gladwell October 19th, 2008 05:29 PM

In the Discover HD guidelines it states:

"Discovery HD requires programs to be mastered in the 1080i 59.54 signal standard."

Can anyone tell me what the "59.54 signal standard" is? How would one achieve that for delivery?

Adam Reuter October 19th, 2008 05:53 PM

I was on a National Geographic shoot less than a month ago and the EX1 was at the time NOT allowed for 100% acquisition. Things can change that quickly but that's what I was told.

I'm not sure about the EX3. This may differ if you use a less compressed recording chain such as the Nano Flash or use high end 15K+ lenses on the EX3. But the EX1 is only allowed for I think 10% of the footage for HD programming.

David Issko October 19th, 2008 05:55 PM

Silly question, but what if you used Clip Browser to convert the EX files to HD 422?
Who would know the difference then?

Adam Reuter October 19th, 2008 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell (Post 953129)
In the Discover HD guidelines it states:

"Discovery HD requires programs to be mastered in the 1080i 59.54 signal standard."

Can anyone tell me what the "59.54 signal standard" is? How would one achieve that for delivery?

I assume you're referring to the Discovery Channel pdf spec sheet.

That looks like a typo to me as right below it the manuscript reads, "1080i 59.94" which is the correct spec. There is no "59.54" field or frame rate. The Sony EX1 and EX3 both shoot at this spec in their HQ 1080/60i mode. Mastered usually refers to the "master tape" i.e. the format it was acquired in.

Dean Harrington October 19th, 2008 06:06 PM

format ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Reuter (Post 953147)
I assume you're referring to the Discovery Channel pdf spec sheet.

That looks like a typo to me as right below it the manuscript reads, "1080i 59.94" which is the correct spec. There is no "59.54" field or frame rate. The Sony EX1 and EX3 both shoot at this spec in their HQ 1080/60i mode. Mastered usually refers to the "master tape" i.e. the format it was acquired in.

Isn't that HD Cam SR for Discovery?

Adam Reuter October 19th, 2008 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Issko (Post 953144)
Silly question, but what if you used Clip Browser to convert the EX files to HD 422?
Who would know the difference then?

The quality control tech guys could tell. They have audio/video spec tools and know what to look for...or at least they should. You may be able to sneak something by them but I personally wouldn't risk my reputation by doing that.

Adam Reuter October 19th, 2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Harrington (Post 953149)
Isn't that HD Cam SR for Discovery?

If you look further down the sheet they list the formats that are accepted. XDCAM HD at 35Mbps and DVCPro HD are amongst them. And even though HDCam is really only 1440x1080. Full raster 1080 is still a relatively new format.

I remember seeing that XDCam EX in its HQ modes were acceptable for 100% general HD programming (Silver status) but not for high end (Gold status) stuff. Which is what HDCAM SR would probably fall under.

By the way I am not speaking as an expert for Discovery or National Geographic. But their headquarters are both in my neck of the woods and I know people who work for them...so, yeah. Grain of salt and whatnot. I would call up NatGeo if you're working for them...it should only take a minute or so. If you're doing something on spec that's a whole other ball game.

Ronn Kilby October 19th, 2008 09:39 PM

Nat-Geo or Discovery

Bottom line: If you have THE footage, they'll buy it, regardless of the bit rate, format or camera. It's been done. But hey - it's just a phone call to verify.