DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   PMW-EX3 Base Plate (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/137223-pmw-ex3-base-plate.html)

David Issko November 5th, 2008 04:55 AM

PMW-EX3 Base Plate

I had been quite concerned about my camera wobbling on my tripod since day one because of the flimsy fixing point that has been discussed on a number of threads here. My camera would shake in the wind and certain zoom/pan combos were quite difficult to start without the wobble.

Well as from today, that is a problem of the past because I took delivery of my very expensive but superb base plate that I lashed out big bucks for from VF Gadgets (big bucks was not their fault). I bought the heavy duty plate with the VCT-U14 Sony quick release adapter and the back plate for my V-Lock batteries. The camera sits on my Miller DS20 rock solid now. The plate, adapter & screws took about a week to arrive from Canada, all the while I was able to track its whereabouts, so I knew when to expect the plate.

I am now not concerned about accidentally ripping out the single screw plate from the base of the camera as the plate is now anchored to the body by the same screw plate plus two screw holes at the very back of the camera. A now very solid connection with 3 well spaced anchor points. Not that I am ever rough with the camera, but accidents do occur.

I did have to remove the shoulder brace but for me that was not an issue as I have the DVRig Pro HD shoulder mount and I have not shot with the camera only on my shoulder.

Although I had to spend an awful lot of money, made worse by the fast shrinking Australian dollar against the US dollar, now that I have it attached, it is good insurance for my EX3 camera kit. I am very happy with the plate and I can recommend it to anyone wanting to securely fix their EX3 to a tripod or any camera mount.

Best wishes to all.

Andy Wilkinson November 5th, 2008 07:22 AM

David. Great news. Any chance of posting a picture of the EX3 with this baseplate? Thanks.

Jason Davenport November 5th, 2008 03:03 PM

Mine just shipped on Monday, got the rod plate too. Hope the wife doesn't see the receipt. But its piece of mind, too much wobbling from that single mount.

You might like this I found (of course, after I bought a VCT-14 plate from e-bay) It's exactlly what we need, it's like a VCT-14 plate with the back removed.
Canon | TA100 Tripod Adapter | 9859A001 | B&H Photo Video
It's perfect for what we have, we'll only use the front half anyway and you don't have the back half hanging out.
Also this may work for a shoulder pad. If you can just buy the shoulder pad without rods.
Shoulder Pad, includes 7-inch rods - Zacuto
Just get longer rods that extend a little past camera body and slap this thing on for hand held. (Update) just called and they want 200.00 clams for just the foam pad...yikes! freak'in hate the mark up in this business.
Or this one (scroll down to see shoulder pad set up on their rail system) If you can buy it seperate.
IndiSYSTEM - Studio 4 Productions - The indiRAILSpro

Dan Chung November 5th, 2008 07:02 PM

Have you thought about the pad from the Cinevate shoulder mount kit? Cinevate Inc.

Maybe Dennis would sell it without the grips.

Dan

Ted OMalley November 5th, 2008 09:28 PM

Next week I expect to receive the prototype of a less expensive version that Jeff DeMaagd and I are working on together with an additional hinged section for better balance while using on shoulder and capability of stowing in smaller bags without removing from plate.

We'd have gotten along further, but Jeff had to make the decision to buy an EX3 to do all his testing.

Once I get the prototype (next week) I'll post picks and we should be able to have them ready for sale in a matter of weeks.

Also, we're working with Anton-Bauer to provide a battery mount with a dedicated port to power the camera in addition to a D-tap and a hirose connection.

We're almost done! Stay tuned!

Dan Chung November 5th, 2008 10:01 PM

Ted,

Good news, but I am still waiting for a reply about my queries on the other thread. As it is I think I'll have to buy the VFgadgets plate because the movement on my tripods is killing me right now. I was hoping you would have a full production version of your plate this month, is that out of the question now?

Dan

David Issko November 6th, 2008 05:26 AM

Why can't I upload my photo?????
Thanks

Ted OMalley November 6th, 2008 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Chung (Post 960101)
Ted,

Good news, but I am still waiting for a reply about my queries on the other thread. As it is I think I'll have to buy the VFgadgets plate because the movement on my tripods is killing me right now. I was hoping you would have a full production version of your plate this month, is that out of the question now?

Dan

My prototype should ship Monday and arrive by Wednesday next week - less than a week from now. Another two weeks (barring unforeseen complications) should see final product shipping.

Anton-Bauer plates will be an optional accessory as they are working on a special mounting plate for us with a variety of power taps.

Barry J. Anwender November 6th, 2008 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted OMalley (Post 960182)
My prototype should ship Monday and arrive by Wednesday next week - less than a week from now. Another two weeks (barring unforeseen complications) should see final product shipping.

Anton-Bauer plates will be an optional accessory as they are working on a special mounting plate for us with a variety of power taps.

Ted, I will be looking forward to seeing some photos of your plate. I am very pleased with Jeff's EX3 mic plate, so I expect the tripod plate will also be very functional. Hopefully your plate will be more affordable.

The VFGadgets plate is cost prohibitive because they are charging Canadians in US dollars. Our dollar fell to $0.74 last week. Something built in Canada, yet they feel the need to gouge Canadians accordingly.

For my part, it is embarrassing to see a Canadian manufacturer flaunt their wares (indirectly-nudge, nudge-wink-wink) on this forum.

David Issko November 6th, 2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender (Post 960187)
\ Our dollar fell to $0.74 last week.

If only!!! Ours dropped to around US$0.60!!!! OUCH. Very expensive. If you can wait for Ted's plate, do so. I could not because of current & upcoming projects. However, as I explained the plate is great.

Best of luck with your plate Ted. Sorry I could not wait, but I tried.

Michael Lyas November 6th, 2008 11:48 PM

Hi Guys

Can I chime in here? I just collected my brand spanking new EX3 and put it on my Manfrotto 055CLB and Manfrotto 501 head, not the HDV head.

The plate for my 501 Head is about 3 1/2" long and very flat. The bottom of the EX3, where you thread the plate to, appears to be raised.

This gives rise to a gap, so that the cam only sits on about an inch or so of the plate and therefore about 2 inches of the cam isn't being supported, hence I get the rocking action as well.

What type of Tripod heads are you guys using? etc

Does the VCT-U14 Sony plate fit a Manfrotto 501 head? etc

Any insights would be welcome.

Michael

Dan Chung November 7th, 2008 03:59 AM

This is a common problem with tripod heads which is why so many of us are looking for alternatives like the VF gadgets or Ted's plate. I have a Miller DS20 and the plate has the same problem, moving around far too much. I have this with my chinese made Secced Venus 3 tripod too as well as with my Manfrotto plates.

I spoke to a rep from Miller who blamed the design of the Sony baseplate.

The VCT14 plates can be fitted to your Manfrotto head by attaching it the quick release plate. However the whole setup ends up costing quite a lot.

Dan

David Issko November 7th, 2008 06:17 AM

Shot exteriors in big winds today. VF Gadgets EX3 base plate worked a treat. Spectacular. Rock Solid and looks great with my radio mic receiver on the back plate.

My camera sits in my Sony VCT-14 quick release plate on my Miller DS20. I have a photo that I would like to poste here but when I go to upload, I wait and wait and wait for the 200kb JPEG to upload without success. Any ideas here?

Larry Huntington November 9th, 2008 11:03 PM

I'm looking at the VF Gadgets Bottom Plate for PWM-EX3 camera. Is this the cheapest and most reliable plate in it's class? Currently it's $349. I will be mounting this to my Miller DS20 head.

Ted OMalley November 10th, 2008 07:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think this hinged design will be better, as it will not only provide the mounting benefits, but also will offer better weight distribution. I'm expecting the prototype to ship to me today. I'll take pics and let everyone know how it works.