DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Vortex Media DVD for EX1 / EX3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/137875-vortex-media-dvd-ex1-ex3.html)

Ivan Snoeckx December 19th, 2007 03:57 PM

Vortex Media DVD for EX1 / EX3

Take a look at the new training DVD from Vortex Media.

"Mastering the Sony PMW-EX1"

Looks very good!

Something for under the Christmas tree. ;-)

Bill Ward December 19th, 2007 04:13 PM

I wonder what the "settings and features to avoid" section might contain?

Ivan Snoeckx December 19th, 2007 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward (Post 795495)
I wonder what the "settings and features to avoid" section might contain?

Order the DVD! ;-)

Paul Cronin December 19th, 2007 04:37 PM

I did thanks for the heads up Ivan.

Paul Joy December 19th, 2007 04:56 PM

I purchased one of Vortex media's interview lighting DVD's and found it to be extremely useful. I was tempted to get this until I saw the price, are people really prepared to pay $125 for a DVD?

James Huenergardt December 19th, 2007 06:00 PM

B&H has it for $109.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._the_Sony.html

I own their Z1U DVD which is really good.

I think I might purchase their lighting DVD too.

Brad Vaughan December 19th, 2007 07:35 PM

Nice!

I might just have to buy this. Of course it's not in stock at B&H yet...just like the EX1!!! :(

However, nice to know this is going to be available. The EX1 is a lot of camera to just try and figure out so this DVD should come in quite handy.

Thanks for posting this.

Ivan Snoeckx December 20th, 2007 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Joy (Post 795521)
I purchased one of Vortex media's interview lighting DVD's and found it to be extremely useful. I was tempted to get this until I saw the price, are people really prepared to pay $125 for a DVD?

It's a double DVD with 3 hours of valuable content and tutorials. Anyone who can get a PMW-EX1, probably can get one of these. I also own "How to setup, light & shoot great looking interviews" and "Hands on XDCAM HD" and find those DVD's worth any cent. If you are going to take a course for a half day, it's going to cost you much more for only one time. This you can watch over and over again at your own tempo.

Brian Jansen December 23rd, 2007 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan Snoeckx (Post 795740)
It's a double DVD with 3 hours of valuable content and tutorials. Anyone who can get a PMW-EX1, probably can get one of these. I also own "How to setup, light & shoot great looking interviews" and "Hands on XDCAM HD" and find those DVD's worth any cent. If you are going to take a course for a half day, it's going to cost you much more for only one time. This you can watch over and over again at your own tempo.

I agree Ivan. We purchased the Hands on DVD for XDCAM just before our F-330 arrived last year to get an under the hood look at the work flow and menu structure and it was well worth the price. It got us up and running right out of the box without digging into the manual and even offered some downloadable presets from their website to get started. The demo DVD training preview on the site shows some excellent footage shot with the EX-1 and a link to one of the chapters from it as well.

Paul Cronin January 5th, 2008 12:45 PM

I received "Mastering the Sony PMW-EX1" today and have been through the first DVD and it is excellent. I highly recommend it to EX1 owners.

Graeme Fullick January 5th, 2008 02:47 PM

Paul,

Did you buy direct from Vortex, or from B&H? I have mine on order form B&H and have been waiting for a while.

Paul Cronin January 5th, 2008 03:45 PM

Graeme I purchased direct from Vortex and was told I received one of the first 6 since I am only 15 miles away. So they are now going out the door.

Lillian Young January 15th, 2008 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cronin (Post 803155)
I received "Mastering the Sony PMW-EX1" today and have been through the first DVD and it is excellent. I highly recommend it to EX1 owners.

I hope to pick one up at B&H tomorrow when my EX1 arrives. Book manuals are good references, but DVD instruction, especially when done well, is the best way to learn for me. If I can find this thread after watching it and playing with my EX1 ( can't wait), I'll post my feedback also.

Ian Smith January 15th, 2008 02:29 AM

My copy (shipped by Vortex to the UK) arrived yesterday.

As someone still waiting delivery of his PMW-EX1 and somewhat bored with reading and re-reading the manual (which has too many gaps or missing explanations for a novice like me) I was really impressed with this DVD set.

Good stuff!

Vaughan Wood January 15th, 2008 03:41 AM

Just got my copy delivered today.

Excellent production, very pleased.

(Now if only the kids would go to bed I could get control of my TV and watch it again!).

Cheers Vaughan