DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Timecode for Transcripts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/137975-timecode-transcripts.html)

Mike Chandler November 18th, 2008 09:12 AM

Timecode for Transcripts

I've been making dvd's for transcription using assembled clips in fcp+ timecode reader/dvdspro, but wondering if there's an easier way to get a copy in the field. I have a Sony Pcm-m1 DAT, but that doesn't get Timecode and saw an older thread here where Malcolm was saying he was using a MicroTrack recorder for transcripts, but I don't think that captures timecode either. Any (not too expensive) suggestions?

Mike Chandler November 18th, 2008 09:14 AM

should have added--coming out of the EX3

Peter Kraft November 18th, 2008 10:06 AM

Mike, I'm afraid, I don't get the idea of your workflow.

- You ingest the clips (containing their TC) from your EX3 in FCP.
- You make this TC visible.
- You export the clips as one long video.
- What for do you need the audio recorder?
- I'd watch the clips on a laptop and use QT Player.

I remember an app for subtitle translations that records the TC and the translations.
If that is what you are looking for, I must dive into my archive.

P.

Mike Chandler November 18th, 2008 02:39 PM

Hi Peter--I was looking for a timesaver by trying to avoid the dvd process entirely. (With tape, I'd simply copy the dv with window burn to vhs and send that off. ) If I could record onto some media (say a DAT that took timecode) while filming interviews, I could just send that to the transcriber and avoid having to go through the process of assembling the edit, exporting, and burning the DVD's. Ingesting the clips is not extra work, as I need them anyway, but exporting takes a couple hours and burning another hour, and I find that I need to split most interviews in half, otherwise the QT export takes forever, which means twice as many exports and burnings.

Barring that, I wonder if there's any way to take the files in the BPAV folder and convert them to avi or aiff and send those off, since video isn't important anyway for transcripts.

The second item you mentioned sounds interesting--if there were a way to avoid sending the interviews out to a transcriber at all, say a software transcribing program, that would be great, but from what I'm gathering online, they almost all require training with a voice, which wouldn't be possible with different interviews. Is that what you were referring to?

Peter Kraft November 18th, 2008 05:10 PM

Hi Mike, too late here to type a message. Will send it tomorrow.
However, I'm sure, a solution is much easier than you would imagine :-)

P.

Peter Kraft November 19th, 2008 02:45 AM

Mike, I may have found in my archive what you need.

Look here and check their website: Annotation Edit
Their apps are annotationEdit and annotationTranscriber. Either might be helpful for you.

However, I still do not understand why you go through the hazzle to make DVDs.
What is needed at the receivers end? Is there a Mac? a PC? Only a DVD player? Or what?

Why don't you just ingest the source material in FCP, edit a rough cut and add a TC
burn it (see below), export video and/or Aiff to burn that to a CD-ROM?

To add TC to a video, edit clips in timeline (rough cut) and then ad one of those two effects
as appropriate:

- Effects > video > TC Generation or TC Read > render > export to self contained QT movie
> Burn movie with burnt in TC to CD-ROM > send away.

- Download TC plugin for FCP alternatively from 1z1screenworks plugins for FinalCutPro if you want to
add more info then only plain TC
> Use plugin in FCP as outlined above

A combination of an Annotation app plus TC Burn-In might be helpful.

I have also found an app that is a QT player/controller/exporter.
It can read LTC from QT clips and export them for use in Final Cut Pro.
The app is called fcpAUXtcMAC and you get it here: VideoToolshed

Ah, and the ultimate app might be Transcriber 2 DVD - that is what I mentioned at the early
beginning. Look here: VideoToolshed

Let me know about your findings

P.

Peter Kraft November 19th, 2008 07:56 AM

Mike, just a little additional note.

When you ingest your video raw material into FCP, place it in the
timeline and export from that timeline in FCP ONLY the audio, does
the resulting audio file reflect the time code of the video on the SxS
cards?

I would then burn these audiofiles with the related TC on a CD-ROM
for transcription.

P.

Mike Chandler November 19th, 2008 08:23 AM

Thanks so much, Peter, for your suggestions. Of course: just export the audio files, d'oh, why didn't I think of that? I'll try that and see if the timecode is there. That would be an easy solution. As for the transcription programs, I had no idea they were so sophisticated, but I'm hoping to leave those to the transcriber, but it's good to know they're out there.

Peter Kraft November 19th, 2008 01:56 PM

Let me know, how this story will end. P.

Peter Kraft November 22nd, 2008 02:22 PM

Folks, here is the ultimate conversion app center for wherever you intend to convert your videos to - ipod, iphone, apple tv, look here:
iTool Software for Mac

Mike here is the app that extracts audio from your video files. Cute app.
iTool Video To Audio Converter For MAC OS X