DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Soft Focus Problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/138518-soft-focus-problem.html)

Mervin Langley November 26th, 2008 11:24 PM

Soft Focus Problem

After using my EX1 in 23 weddings since January it is very clear to me that the focus is soft, whether the ND filters are engaged or not. I calibrated the lens once and I thought that helped a lot. However it seemed to gradually become softer again. I recently calibtrated again, with good results again. I have also found that I must use a small amount of sharpening to achieve a decent look. I have achieved spectacular results at times but many shots are just too soft for me. I have the oldest firmware and as my camera is now almost a year old and has lost paint over several places I msut decide soon whether to send it in to Sony. I can not be without the camera for too long and I have not heard good reports about Sony service. My question is: Will a firmware update help and can I do it myself?

Thanks,

Mervin

Greg Voevodsky November 27th, 2008 12:17 AM

wow. 3 of the same posting is gonna get u in trouble. why dont you do a search next time?
Anyway, yes - sending it to sony will fix paint, soft focus and other well known issues.

there are youtube videos for fixing your backfocus, and yes, I have used them to fix my early ex1... good luck.

Zsolt Gordos November 27th, 2008 03:01 PM

Mervin, you will need another EX1 soon. So much better to shoot a wedding with 2 or 3 cameras :) Then you will always have a spare one.

Michael Maier November 27th, 2008 03:06 PM

My focus got much better since I updated to firmware 1.11.
Have you updated it?

Mervin Langley November 27th, 2008 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Maier (Post 969741)
Have you updated it?

How did you update? Did you send the camera in?

Mervin

Michael Maier November 27th, 2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mervin Langley (Post 969765)
How did you update? Did you send the camera in?

Mervin

Yeah you need to send your camera in but it's well worth it.

Jon Sands November 27th, 2008 05:13 PM

1. You can upgrade the firmware yourself, tons of us have done it.

2. It's a backfocus issue, search the forum for it.

Jason Davenport November 27th, 2008 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Sands (Post 969779)
1. You can upgrade the firmware yourself, tons of us have done it.

2. It's a backfocus issue, search the forum for it.

How did you perform the update yourself?

Michael Maier November 27th, 2008 06:43 PM

Yes you can do it yourself but it's not recommended. I know somebody who messed his camera up trying. I would just send it in.

Mervin Langley November 27th, 2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Maier (Post 969741)
Have you updated it?

How do you do that. Does it have to be sent in?

Mervin Langley November 27th, 2008 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mervin Langley (Post 969804)
How do you do that. Does it have to be sent in?

Sorry about the multiple posts. Somehow I keep getting messages that my attempts at posting have failed but there they are.

Mervin

Leonard Levy November 27th, 2008 11:45 PM

Mervin,
There's no way top help you troubleshoot this problem unless you are much more specific about when you have soft focus problems. Indoors or out? what f stops? wide angle or telephoto? etc.

You should not be having random and changing focus issues with any camera unless something is radically wrong with it.

Are you shooting outdoors with f stops of f8 or higher? If so your pictures will suck because the lens will always be soft. It just doesn't work beyond f8. Back focus issues should only occur when you are wide and have focused at tele then zoomed out and worse at wide open f stops.

Tell us more or don't even bother to post.

Lenny Levy

Jon Sands November 28th, 2008 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Maier (Post 969800)
Yes you can do it yourself but it's not recommended. I know somebody who messed his camera up trying. I would just send it in.

He must be the only one. In fact, I almost don't believe you. Out of the hundreds of members here and on the "other" forum I haven't heard of anyone messing up the upgrade. It's kind of hard to mess up a 6 step process that involves clicking an upgrade button.

Mervin Langley November 28th, 2008 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Sands (Post 970059)
He must be the only one. In fact, I almost don't believe you. Out of the hundreds of members here and on the "other" forum I haven't heard of anyone messing up the upgrade. It's kind of hard to mess up a 6 step process that involves clicking an upgrade button.

Hi Jon,

What is the procedure? I have had horrible experiences with Sony Service and I am reasonably intelligent so I am willing to consider it.

Mervin

Steven Thomas November 29th, 2008 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Maier (Post 969800)

Michael, I take this person does not post here or on another forum?
I have never heard of anyone having trouble.

Granted, it should be done by Sony, but it's as easy as pushing a button untill an installation complete appears.