DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Color matching EX1 and EX3 in Multicam (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/140293-color-matching-ex1-ex3-multicam.html)

Ian Semmens December 25th, 2008 03:00 PM

Color matching EX1 and EX3 in Multicam

Hi All,
I have a 6 camera multicam shoot comming up soon and I will be using 4 EX1s and 2 Ex3s. Is there any issue regarding colour matching up these cameras provided that all are using the same settings. I have read indications on this forum that there are issues matching up these cameras. What have others found? Thanks for any information on this.
Ian

Michael Palmer December 25th, 2008 03:23 PM

Picture Profile

I think the only thing you can do is setup a picture profile and match every setting for each camera. The EX3's can be controlled by a paint box but since you don't have all 6 EX3's then this is about all you can do.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Ted OMalley December 25th, 2008 03:32 PM

My understanding from others here is that the EX1 settings do not match the EX3 settings. I would start with the default EX3 settings on the two cameras, and see if they match. Then, I'd tweak as necessary (if necessary). Next, I'd attempt to match the EX1's to the EX3's as closely as I could.

Acheiving a "look" in post is not difficult, but it would be nice to not have to tweak six different sources to acheive a common "look" as that would just be painful.

Michael Palmer December 25th, 2008 03:40 PM

I have both EX1 and EX3 and I have matched a picture profile with exact setting and I find them to be a very close match. I like the cine 3 & 4 setting. I just wish the EX1 could feed timecode to the EX3's somehow.

Joe Lawry December 25th, 2008 04:01 PM

Michael, any chance you could post your profile?

Michael Palmer December 26th, 2008 10:29 AM

Matrix =On, select Cinema
Color Correction =Off
White Offset WHit=On, Offset (ATW)=-20, Preset=5600
Detail=On, Level=-49, Frequency=0, Crispening=-44, H/V Ratio=-35,White Limiter=-14,Black Limiter=0, V DTL Creation=Y, Knee APT Level=plus 5

Skin Tone Detail=off
Gamma Level=plus 9, Select Cine3
Black=-9
Black Gamma=-5
Low Key SAT= plus 9

I find these cameras to be too sharp and I was going for a softer film look.

Michael Palmer

Marc Myers December 26th, 2008 10:57 AM

I have used four EX1 and instead of trying to match settings, I white balanced each with the same card. They were dead on. It's better technique than trying to match profiles since camera position and lighting can potentially effect the color anyway.

Michael Palmer December 26th, 2008 09:39 PM

If you plan on matching each camera by setting the white balance then I believe you would need to take each camera to the EXACT same place with the white card at the EXACT same angle within a few moments in time to do this. I believe there will still be slight variance with this technique and with matching the camera picture profile technique.

If there is enough time then testing each camera with a vector scope and a wave form monitor under the same lighting would be the best.

I prefer matching the picture profile setting over setting white balance in the field.

Michael Palmer