DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Music video in 720 50p? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/141178-music-video-720-50p.html)

Darren Ruddock January 8th, 2009 05:25 PM

Music video in 720 50p?

Hi all,

I thought I would ask the experts and I know this is the best place!

Had my Ex1 for a while now and have been experimenting. As a former Canon Xm2 owner the learning curve from Xm2 toa Sony Ex1 is immense! However I feel I am becoming a better cameraman for it.

We have a shoot coming up this weekend for a music video. The video is purely a performance based video shot in a rehearsal studio. Basically we will shoot the band from two wide angles then film each member of the band individually getting all the angles we need. Pretty standard stuff , the hardest part being synching all the takes on the timeline (the joy of single camera shooting!).

My main concern is with regards to the shooting format and shutter speeds. From what I have gleaned, through this and other forums, shooting in progressive would be a must. Therefore we are going to shoot in 720 50p.

I want to shot in 50 as this gives me the possibility of using slow mo if I choose to on some shots. Plus I would imagine that 50 frames would give smoother video anyway.

Also I have tried using the camera in 720 50p with a 180 degree shutter angle at 1/100 shutter speed as this is the recommended setting for progressive shooting. The problem is the motion I get with this setting seems jerky.

Am I shooting with the right settings or would I be better with the shutter set to off? Shutter off seems to give a smoother result when ingested and viewed through FCP.

Many thanks and lend me your knowledge of holy ones!

Regards,

Darren

Ted OMalley January 8th, 2009 08:33 PM

I would shoot 24P over-cranked to 60 for the whole shoot. I'd get audio from a source other than the camera. Then, I have imagery of better quality at "normal" speed (actual speed) and the ability to slow down 2-1/2 times. If you think you want to use slo-mo - there is nothing like over-cranking. Of course, you'll have to record to SxS.

If you can get the talent to play and sing along to a 2x speed recording (or 2.5x speed, in this case), you can slow it down in post for some neat effects. On the other hand, maybe this technique is getting overused - you decide.

Bo Skelmose January 9th, 2009 02:26 AM

Hi
I would record in 720 25P 1/50. If you want to end up in 25 fps. 50P with a shutter of 1/100 converted to 25P would be jerky if the editing system takes out every second picture ( to make it 25P) with the 100 shutter. Alternative you could try to record 720 50P 1/50.
I would make one recording in 25 p using the sound and master shot. Make them play it again - several times for different shots - then you can record some close shots and some of it overcranked for effects.
.........Bo

Darren Ruddock January 9th, 2009 09:49 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. The source for the audio is a professionally recorded demo, so no fears there!

I only asked, as shooting progressive for the first time, I was unsure of shutter settings. As I said, the general info I had suggests that in progressive a 180 degree shutter angle should be used and if your frame rate is 50 you should double the shutter speed to 1/100.

I know it's a case of playing around with these things to really see how this effects the footage you get.

A general rule of thumb would be nice.

Cheers