DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Items on my cart (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/142633-items-my-cart.html)

Laffan Nasser January 29th, 2009 03:28 AM

Items on my cart

Folks ;
Those Items are on my cart , would like to have your thoughts before I submit my order ; feel free to add remove replace.
Most likely I'll shoot outdoors with bright sky
1. Sony PMW-EX1 XDCAM EX
2. VariZoom VZ-Rock Compact Variable Rocker LANC Camera Control
3. Sony BP-U60 Lithium-Ion Battery
4. Sony SBP-16 16GB SxS PRO Memory Card
5. Hoya 77mm Introductory Filter Kit - Ultraviolet (UV), Circular Polarizer
6. Petrol PWR-HDV Rolling Wingbag
7. Vortex Media DVD: Mastering the Sony PMW-EX1
8. Miller SOLO DV20 Carbon Fiber Tripod System - consists of: DS-20 Fluid Head
9. Rode NTG-2 - Shotgun Condenser Microphone Basic Kit

Thanks in advance

Andy Wilkinson January 29th, 2009 03:47 AM

You will need wind protection for the NTG-2. Maybe the Rode WS6 (I have the WS7 for my NTG-3 - very good).

You will need to get a suspension mount for the mic as well, the Rode one is a very good choice.

I have the Petrol roller bag. It's very good but I have had to completely remove the central divide to be able to get my EX3 in it. It might well be the same for an albeit smaller EX1. There are pics of my EX3 in this petrol bag on this forum.

Consider MxR rather than the 16GB SxS. Maybe get an 8GB SxS (for overcranking) and then some much, much cheaper MxR etc. sticks with say 16GB SDHC cards in them. Check this forum for all the details.

Also, check the recent thread about polariser filters and the EX1/EX3's. Make sure you get the right type (a tried and tested circular polariser).

Have fun!

Laffan Nasser January 29th, 2009 04:07 AM

Thank you Andy, where to find the MxR ?

Alexander Kubalsky January 29th, 2009 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laffan Nasser (Post 1003048)
Folks ;

I have everything except the three above. Just incase you want some other choices...

2. I have the Libec version.
4. Check out this http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...sxs-cards.html
6. I have the Kata HB 207 and its perfect.

Alex

Brian Cassar January 29th, 2009 04:41 AM

If you are going to shoot outdoors and will be filming people wearing black fabrics beware of the IR contamination. You will need the B+W 486 (mine is on its way and so I cannot comment much on it except that I was told by B+W themselves to buy this filter instead of the Tru-cut 750 IR as this does not work for the EX1/3 but works well only for RED). However IR contamination does exists and is horrible! Certain blacks turn to brown in sunligt and halogen light.

Malcolm Dyer January 29th, 2009 04:43 AM

The EX1 is not LANC control. It is a custom connection. I use the Libec also.
I am sure Varizoom have one especially for the EX1 also if youwant to stay with them.

Malcolm

Laffan Nasser January 29th, 2009 04:53 AM

I replaced VariZoom with Libec , but not sure about this item
Hoya | 77mm Introductory Filter Kit | GIK77GB | B&H Photo Video

Malcolm Dyer January 29th, 2009 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laffan Nasser (Post 1003064)
I replaced VariZoom with Libec , but not sure about this item
Hoya | 77mm Introductory Filter Kit | GIK77GB | B&H Photo Video

I purchased B+W filters from B+H
UV-Haze slim with MRC
Neutral Density 4x with MRC (not slim but it fits)
You need to be careful as some filters will not fit under the hood.
Some other members had to return filters for this reason.

Malcolm

Laffan Nasser January 29th, 2009 05:25 AM

This is what I want to avoid Malcolm , so I'm looking for members recommendation , as mentioned the outdoor sky is very bright very few clouds.
By the way I have the Hoya 77mm (Moose) Warm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter, will it fit on the ex1 ?
I replaced Hoya 77mm Introductory Filter Kit - Ultraviolet (UV), Circular Polarizer , with B+W 77mm UV Haze 010 Glass Filter Slim
and Porta Brace CTC-2 Traveler Camera Case instead of Petrol PWR-HDV Rolling Wingbag

Laffan Nasser January 29th, 2009 09:03 AM

any last comments/advise ?

Craig Seeman January 29th, 2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laffan Nasser (Post 1003053)
Thank you Andy, where to find the MxR ?

E-Films

Duncan Craig January 29th, 2009 09:24 AM

You could look at Swit batteries instead of Sonys, cheaper and more AH's. They also have a d-tap output for external kit?

I've got my EX1 yesterday, can't believe how easy it has been with the MxR to get footage into my original dual 2GHz G5 Mac. (Just about) playing back realtime with CC and mixes through my old AJA IO in SD!

Amazed...

Ted OMalley January 29th, 2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laffan Nasser (Post 1003048)
Folks ;
Those Items are on my cart , would like to have your thoughts before I submit my order ; feel free to add remove replace.
Most likely I'll shoot outdoors with bright sky
1. Sony PMW-EX1 XDCAM EX
3. Sony BP-U60 Lithium-Ion Battery
5. Hoya 77mm Introductory Filter Kit - Ultraviolet (UV), Circular Polarizer
7. Vortex Media DVD: Mastering the Sony PMW-EX1
8. Miller SOLO DV20 Carbon Fiber Tripod System - consists of: DS-20 Fluid Head
9. Rode NTG-2 - Shotgun Condenser Microphone Basic Kit

Thanks in advance

2. - Others have mentioned LANC issue - and you've changed to Libec.
4. - You'll have at least one if not two 8GB SXS cards already. Have you considered spending a small portion of that on the MxR system and having many more hours of recording?
5. - For my EX3, I just bought the Hoya HOUVSMC77 - S-HMC UV filter. Like it.
9. - Any reason you chose this over the NTG-1? Same sound, NTG-1 is smaller, as it doesn't include phantom power. EX cams provide phantom power, as do many (most?) mixers. a shorter mic might be nice on a small camera. Certainly easier to keep out of frame. Definitely will want a shockmount, windscreen, and solution other than using the Sony-provided mic holder is it is too flimsy to support much.

Laffan Nasser January 29th, 2009 09:43 AM

Yes I will consider MxR system , shall I drop the 8GB SXS card and buy more SanDisk 16GB Ultra II Secure Digital (SDHC) Cards ?

Duncan Craig January 29th, 2009 10:36 AM

I'm lucky that I bought my EX1 without SxS cards. I'm holding out on buying SxS cards until they get bigger and cheaper! Eventually?

I ordered one MxR card (which arrived really fast BTW) and tried it in the EX1 yesterday with some crappy old 4GB SD card.

The card is obviously a little too slow, as I get error messages (media needs to be restored) if I make short recordings. However longer recording seem fine. The starts and ends of takes seem to be cut off, but again I guess that's the fault of the SD card speed and writing the TOC etc.

Anyway, I've ordered two more MxR and 2 x Transcend Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) Memory Card - 16GB - Class 6 - £47.98 delivered. Nice. Hopefully they will sort out the minor issues I am having.

Ted OMalley January 29th, 2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laffan Nasser (Post 1003174)
Yes I will consider MxR system , shall I drop the 8GB SXS card and buy more SanDisk 16GB Ultra II Secure Digital (SDHC) Cards ?

I find it important to have at least one SxS card for overcranking. Beyond that, it is up to your personal preference, method, etc.

Laffan Nasser January 29th, 2009 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted OMalley (Post 1003352)
I find it important to have at least one SxS card for overcranking. Beyond that, it is up to your personal preference, method, etc.

I presume one already come with EX1 in the box .

Ted OMalley January 29th, 2009 02:58 PM

I presumed that as well, but you asked about dropping the 8GB card and I thought maybe something changed that I was unaware of. Previously, I was talking about getting MxR instead of the 16GB card. I was simply suggesting that you keep at least one.

Paul Inglis January 29th, 2009 04:57 PM

Hi Laffan,

Here’s my wee input;

1. Have at least one 8GB SxS Pro Memory Card for overcranking! I’m finding that is limiting me at the moment and considering a second card for that purpose (only my style of shooting though!) so maybe have one 16GB maybe better.
2. The MxR as mentioned are awesome for the price – I’ve teamed mine with the Transcend Class 6 16GB as they work flawlessly (except for the acknowledged over-cranking issue) and are cheaper than the Sandisk! (I have four MxR with a further eight on order – the same goes for the Transcend).
3. I have the Hoya 77mm SHMC PRO1-D UV which works great – I have the Moose Peterson Filter you mentioned but never dreamt of fitting it to my EX-3 (plus I think it’s too thick anyhow – can always try if you need answer [for photography though I love it!]
4. Manfrotto, Varizoom and Bebob do EX remotes as well (if you need an extension for a jib extra then you’ll find that Varizoom and Bebob do a 10ft and 20ft).

Happy shooting,

Paul

Doug Jensen January 29th, 2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laffan Nasser (Post 1003074)
This is what I want to avoid Malcolm , so I'm looking for members recommendation , as mentioned the outdoor sky is very bright very few clouds.
By the way I have the Hoya 77mm (Moose) Warm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter, will it fit on the ex1 ?
I replaced Hoya 77mm Introductory Filter Kit - Ultraviolet (UV), Circular Polarizer , with B+W 77mm UV Haze 010 Glass Filter Slim
and Porta Brace CTC-2 Traveler Camera Case instead of Petrol PWR-HDV Rolling Wingbag

Hi Laffan,

Since you specifically mentioned that you will be shooting outdoors with bright skies, I would say that a matte box with a graduated .6 ND filter and a circular polarizer is absolutely essential. I never shoot outdoors during the day without both of those filters on my camera.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend a particular brand/model of matte box for the EX1 because I've tried a few that claim to be designed for the EX1 and they all fall short in one way or another. There might be a good one out there, but I have not seen it personally. The matte box I use on my EX1 and EX3 is my 10 year old Chrosziel that I modified to work on the EX1 -- but I have to load the filters from below. No big deal, I got used to it. Don't fall for the sales pitch of buying a side-loading matte box that won't let you raise and lower the filters vertically. How will you use the grad filter if you can't move it up and down?

Also, make sure your polarizer is a circular polarizer and NOT a linear polarizer or you’ll get a significant hue shift when you rotate it. We’ve discussed this in another thread.

Also, warm filters are totally useless for video cameras because you're going to have to take it off the camera every time you white balance or else you'll negate the warming effect. And they don't work with auto-white balance at all. If you want warmer video, I'd recommend getting Vortex Media's WarmCards (shameless plug). 24,000 cameramen and digital photographers can't be wrong. Once again, that is an accessory I use on almost every shoot. www.vortexmedia.com

Doug

Laffan Nasser January 30th, 2009 12:03 AM

Guys
one thing to mention , Videography to me is not a profession it's just hobby to fulfill my desires , so maybe I have picked up some "nice to have staff" or exaggerated on my list

Brian Luce January 30th, 2009 01:43 AM

I'm not familiar with that mic, does it work well indoors? Some shotguns don't. A wireless lav mic can be a godsend.

Laffan Nasser January 30th, 2009 04:48 AM

Thanks folks , after considering some valuable comments from you guys , here is my updated list :-
1. Sony PMW-EX1 XDCAM EX
2. Sony MDR-7506 Circumaural Closed-Back Professional Monitor Headphone
3. Sony SBP-8 8GB SxS PRO Memory Card for XDCAM EX Camcorders
4. Rode NTG-2 - Shotgun Condenser Microphone Basic Kit
5. 2x SanDisk 16GB Ultra II Secure Digital (SDHC) Card
6. Porta Brace CTC-2 Traveler Camera Case
7. B+W 77mm UV Haze 010 Glass Filter Slim
8. Sony BP-U60 Lithium-Ion Battery
9. Vortex Media DVD: Mastering the Sony PMW-EX1
10. Miller SOLO DV20 Carbon Fiber Tripod System - consists of: DS-20 Fluid Head

Did I missed any workflow item such as card reader ? I'm planning to get Apple power book

Paul Kellett January 30th, 2009 06:19 AM

swit battery and swit s-2000 light

Paul.

Ted OMalley January 30th, 2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laffan Nasser (Post 1003727)
Thanks folks , after considering some valuable comments from you guys , here is my updated list :-
1. Sony PMW-EX1 XDCAM EX

Did I missed any workflow item such as card reader ? I'm planning to get Apple power book

Perhaps the B+W UV haze will fit under the hood - I don't know. I know that I couldn't get the hood back on mine with the Tiffen, but the Hoya I mentioned earlier worked fine.

Also, I want to second that Vortex plug by Dave - I use the warm cards quite a bit. Actually I just bought the upgrade to the kit from B&H - 1/4 blue. My older kit started at 1/2 blue. I was forever going between 1/2 and pure white, so this will be a nice option.

Laffan Nasser January 30th, 2009 10:58 PM

Ted, dose the HOUVSMC77 fits under the Ex1 hood nicely, I mean I can but the hood back while the filler is on ?
By the way can the Porta Brace CTC-2 Traveler bag carry the EX1 and my XH-A1 too ?

Bob Grant January 31st, 2009 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laffan Nasser (Post 1003727)
1. Sony PMW-EX1 XDCAM EX

You'll need the MxR adaptor(s) for item 5.
I'd replace 7. with the Slim 486 IR cut filter. Never take mine off the camera.
You'll also need an XLR lead for 4. I'd suggest replacing the stock Sony mic holder with the EX flat from DM Accessories and getting the Rode shock mount that goes into a cold shoe. Then you can easily take the mic off the camera. Much easier to pack that way.

Dan Chung January 31st, 2009 02:51 AM

Word of caution on the Sony 7506 headphones, mine have a rather long coiled cable which gets in the way all the time when I shoot. In the end I ended up only using them in my edit suite and buying the Sennheiser HD25I II Sennheiser Electronic - HD 25-1 II
Sennheiser Hd25-1Ii Hd25 Pro Dj Headphones, Full 2-Year Warranty DAKmart which has a nice short cable instead.

Also consider the Think tank airport acceleration bag if you travel a lot. Check out this link http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/914272-post4.html

Also I'm also going to get this new pack Genus which is designed with the EX in mind.

The DV20 is a stellar tripod, enjoy it.

You may need more than one battery so consider either the Swit or this Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training with a battery plate for Sony or Bauer packs

Laffan Nasser January 31st, 2009 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Grant (Post 1004304)
You'll need the MxR adaptor(s) for item 5.
You'll also need an XLR lead for 4. I'd suggest replacing the stock Sony mic holder with the EX flat from DM Accessories and getting the Rode shock mount that goes into a cold shoe. Then you can easily take the mic off the camera. Much easier to pack that way.

Is this what you mean bob :-
B+W | 77mm 486 Digital UV/IR Blocking Glass Filter | B&H Photo

Ted OMalley January 31st, 2009 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laffan Nasser (Post 1004262)
Ted, dose the HOUVSMC77 fits under the Ex1 hood nicely, I mean I can but the hood back while the filler is on ?
By the way can the Porta Brace CTC-2 Traveler bag carry the EX1 and my XH-A1 too ?

Yes, it does.

Don't know about the porta-brace bag.

I second the DM-Accessories flat adapter recommendation. For my Rode mic, I used the K-Tec short shockmount designed to slide into the cold shoe adapter.

Agree about the mic lead - I use a 90 degree one.

I've not had a problem with the headphones cord, but I can see Dan's point.

Laffan Nasser January 31st, 2009 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted OMalley (Post 1004329)
Yes, it does.

Don't know about the porta-brace bag.

I second the DM-Accessories flat adapter recommendation. For my Rode mic, I used the K-Tec short shockmount designed to slide into the cold shoe adapter.

Agree about the mic lead - I use a 90 degree one.

I've not had a problem with the headphones cord, but I can see Dan's point.

Is this the one you're referring to Ted:
Hoya | 77mm Ultraviolet UV(0) Super Multi-Coated | 778031 | B&H

Laffan Nasser January 31st, 2009 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Grant (Post 1004304)
You'll need the MxR adapter(s) for item 5.

Thanks bob , I already ordered two MxR adapters , regrading the XLR lead I think it's come with the kit

Bob Grant January 31st, 2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laffan Nasser (Post 1004326)

Yes.
You should never put another filter in front of this filter, it is quite reflective.
As I found out if you're getting up very close to the subject for macro work you might want to take it off.
This filter is needed to avoid a problem with IR contamination, depending on the light sources you can get black material turning quite magenta.

Laffan Nasser January 31st, 2009 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Grant (Post 1004589)
Yes.
You should never put another filter in front of this filter, it is quite reflective.
As I found out if you're getting up very close to the subject for macro work you might want to take it off.
This filter is needed to avoid a problem with IR contamination, depending on the light sources you can get black material turning quite magenta.

thanks bob , actually I'm looking for polarizer filter as our sky is too bright .

Bob Grant February 1st, 2009 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laffan Nasser (Post 1004724)
thanks bob , actually I'm looking for polarizer filter as our sky is too bright .

Living down here I can face the same problem. The ND2 filter could be a few stops more. A polarizing filter may or may not make the sky darker. It can also cut reflections from water and most reflective surfaces. You have to be able to rotate the filter to align it at right angles to the polarization of the light you're wanting to cut. That means you would probably want it in a good matte box with a rotating stage especially if the camera is in sunlight. The extent to which a pola will darken the sky also depends on the position of the sun so it's not a cure all for that problem. When it does darken the sky it also affects the look of the shot, increasing the contrast between clouds and sky.

I would have thought a ND or grad ND would be better for your problem. You can get combined ND & IR cut which would be important with the EX cameras otherwise you'll increase the IR contamination problem. Both ND and more so grad ND filters also need to be mounted in a matte box. In fact a matte box without a filter could help improve shots in strong daylight. I'd suggest adding a french flag and wings to it as well.

Laffan Nasser February 1st, 2009 08:59 AM

I was thinking that Magic Bullet Looks may resolve this issue instead of a polarizing filter

Laffan Nasser February 3rd, 2009 09:48 AM

I may get 35mm adapter for the EX1 , any recommendation with one lens , provided I can use the adapter for my XH-A1 too

Max Allen April 3rd, 2009 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Grant (Post 1004772)
...You can get combined ND & IR cut which would be important with the EX cameras otherwise you'll increase the IR contamination problem.

Hello Bob,

I'm curious if you experienced IR problems when using no filter at all or only when using an ND filter.