DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Short Film - Kalore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/142739-short-film-kalore.html)

Pascal Payant January 30th, 2009 11:54 AM

Short Film - Kalore

8 Attachment(s)
My new short film for the chicago company GC AMERICA will be online in 1 month. here's some grab from the shoot. everything was done by me. i had make up, wardrobe and actors . we have very low money to create all this. we were lucky to find good deal here and there. it will feature music by the american dollar.
so here's some grab and leave me some comments. it was filmed with the sony ex1 with Letus 35fe. it's a very heavy camera but i think it did a good job. it was my first time using it. the transfert to the laptop was very quick.
thanks
www.kalore.net

Brian Luce February 1st, 2009 10:23 PM

Are those frame grabs or production stills? They all look overexposed on my monitor.

Pascal Payant February 5th, 2009 12:46 AM

it was color corrected but on the TV and my screen it's all great. it's still frame of the movie

Paul Curtis February 5th, 2009 09:02 AM

the stills are quite overexposed here too, maybe there's something up with your exporting of images.

i'm curious as to why the letus? There's nothing in the stills you show that really demanded 35mm DOF and as you say it makes for one heavy camera. In this case, based on those stills, you'd have been better without?

cheers
paul

Simon Wyndham February 5th, 2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

the stills are quite overexposed here too
Looks like an intentional artistic look to me. Can't see anything wrong with it.

Brian Luce February 5th, 2009 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham (Post 1007117)
Looks like an intentional artistic look to me. Can't see anything wrong with it.

Personally I've always appreciated deliberately blown out shots in film, but purely in an aesthetic sense, I don't at all feel the same way about video. Blown film has a heavenly, surreal feel that I don't get from video. That's just me though.

The question is how do you know if something is intentional or just bad camerasmithery. I look at the the overall level of production, if you start seeing numerous flaws, you start making assumptions about the exposure too.

Paul Curtis February 6th, 2009 03:05 AM

I was just commenting in case Pascal was not aware that the images had clipped during export (which can happen occasionally) or the calibration of the viewing monitor is incorrect. Afterall if the destination is web then you need to make sure you're viewing on a good representation of the delivery.

Personally, like Bob, i'm not a fan of clipped video. And if something has to be clipped then you can attempt to roll it off with diffusion in post which helps a little. I've been constantly surprised with the EX1 and the range it offers even outside but you do have to be careful with curves and exposure and a bit of post to get the best out of it.

Pascal asked for comments in what must have been a difficult shoot (low budget *with* helicopters and tracking cars out of a window) so more power to him for completing it so sucessfully.

Because the shots are out of context i can't tell but if the two shots of the women are in the same scene then a little grading to match them would help.

But i am interested in understanding why the letus. These 35mm adaptors are some kind of holy grail but the number of times they'd make a real difference is not quite so obvious.

cheers
paul

Pascal Payant March 4th, 2009 12:41 AM

thank you guys
yes all my shots are boosted with contrast and brightness. i love this surreal feeling cause all my movies are like that. got the same mood and feel. this movie was done in 2 weeks production. location , actors, chopper etc.. it was a hard time to create all this . try to shoot a choper alone . it's a lot of job. but nothing but fun. i shot with the EX1. not all the shot are using the Letus. the night club yes. the bedroom yes and the Outside winter dream sequence yes. all the car and chopper was without . you can really see a difference in the quality different when you put the letus or not. i like it when it'S on. you just need to have a 3-4 lenses. it will come out in 2 weeks. on vimeo or pascalpayant.com