DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Letus Relay for EX3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/143423-letus-relay-ex3.html)

Phil Bloom February 20th, 2009 04:32 PM

letus on ex3 with relay looks to be about 2 stops faster than stock lens. That is pretty significant...

Mitchell Lewis February 20th, 2009 04:47 PM

2 STOPS?!!! WOW!!! I want one ASAP. When are they going to release the price?

So if the Ultimate reduces light by about 1/2 a stop, this new relay will MORE THAN make up for it. Correct?

This is great news. (unless they charge $5000 for it)

Phil Bloom February 20th, 2009 04:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
i gather it will be around $4500...

Here are some comparison stills using a old 35mm nikon f1.4. This also shows crop factor with ex3 letus and stock lens zoomed into z74.

EX3 is wide open with 1/100th shutter in.
EX3 Letus Ultimate and stock lens is wide open on both ex3 and 35mm lens
EX3 Relay and ultimate stopped down on relay by 2 stops.

Mitchell Lewis February 20th, 2009 05:03 PM

Where's the 3rd photo?

1) EX3 is wide open with 1/100th shutter in (no adaptor?)
2) EX3 Letus Ultimate and stock lens is wide open on both ex3 and 35mm lens (no relay)
3) EX3 Relay and ultimate stopped down on relay by 2 stops. (w/relay)

Regardless, this is still AWESOME news....except for the $4500 price. Hopefully they will offer a discount like Sony does versus their list price. That would get it down to around $3500 or less. hehehehe (not getting my hopes up)

Thanks Phillip!

Phil Bloom February 20th, 2009 05:04 PM

there should be a third photo there...as you can see crop factor is barely noticeable...

Mitchell Lewis February 20th, 2009 05:05 PM

OFF TOPIC: The Cascade Video Show is going to be in Portland, OR on Wednesday and we're driving over to see it (3 hour drive from where we live in WA). Anyway, I called Letus to see if we could get a 20 minute tour and the sales gal said that Hein was out of town and they couldn't (wouldn't) give a tour without him being there. I tried to tell her that I just wanted to see the EX3 relay, but she wouldn't budge.

Oh well. :)

Mitchell Lewis February 20th, 2009 05:07 PM

Okay, I see the third photo now. The sharpness is clearly better with the relay. Thanks Phillip!

Phil Bloom February 20th, 2009 05:07 PM

am afraid hien is out in Vietnam for another week or so...there is no relay in Oregon. There is only one prototype in existence and it is sitting 6 foot away from me...sorry!!! If you come to London's Piccadilly Circus tomorrow afternoon you will see it in action!

Mitchell Lewis February 20th, 2009 05:08 PM

Very funny. Unfortunately, as much as I'd love to, I can't fly to London tomorrow. (very jealous)

Please keep reporting back your findings with it. Much appreciated.

Phil Bloom February 22nd, 2009 12:19 PM

New short here: Philip Bloom Piccadilly Stone: New Short shot with EX3/ Relay/ Letus Ultimate

Blog here: Philip Bloom Blog Archive Piccadilly Stone: New Short shot with EX3/ Relay/ Letus Ultimate

Mitchell Lewis February 23rd, 2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom (Post 1013325)
mitchell

On the Ex3? that's impossible! mine is around 70, 40 is nowhere near enough...are you sure? I would seriously double check...least i have managed is z69 on ex1/3

phil

Okay, I was wrong. I put the Ultimate back on today and could have set the zoom to Z66, but tried Z68 instead (just in case there's any vignetting I hadn't noticed).

Keith Moreau February 24th, 2009 12:17 AM

Very nice short, as usual. You are really a treasure to the XDCAM EX and 35mm adapter community.

Just a little question, Phil, unrelated to the amazing images achieved with your setup and skill, how do you deal with the music you choose to put in your short films? I see you always give credit to the artists, and I can't see any real harm done to them, intellectual property wise, but you probably have not contacted or gotten permission or licenses from them to put their music into your films. I've done it too on occasion, never for a film for profit, but I'm also a composer and musician in addition to doing films and I'm just wondering your thoughts on using copyrighted music in this way, like what do you think are the boundaries?

Mitchell Lewis March 4th, 2009 12:27 PM

Hi Phil,

One thing that hasn't been talked about is how easy the EX3 relay makes it to shoot with and without an adaptor.

Once in a while I have to shoot without the adaptor. They are mostly shoots where I have to cover a news conference, etc... Events were I need a fast, powerful zoom. (I wish Nikon made a 17-200 f/2.8 zoom). Anyway, it's kind of a pain to take the adaptor on/off and I wonder how much easier it is to do if you're using this new relay lens?

Phil?

(I'm bummed that Letus won't be at NAB)

Phil Bloom March 9th, 2009 01:11 PM

My review is up

Philip Bloom Blog Archive Video review of new EX3 Letus Relay

it's easier to take the relay off than take the adaptor off of the stock lens. But still a pain.

Phil