DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Cinetactics Matteblox HD for the EX-1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/144211-cinetactics-matteblox-hd-ex-1-a.html)

Kevin Wayne Jones February 20th, 2009 10:04 AM

Cinetactics Matteblox HD for the EX-1

Anyone using the Cinetactics Matteblox HD for the EX-1?
It seems very affordable.

cinetactics Sony PMW-EX1 Compatibility

I have their screen hoodie and it is extremely well made.

Kevin Jones

Graeme Fullick February 20th, 2009 03:31 PM

Kevin,

I have one, but have not been too happy with it. It is difficult to put on and then falls off and moves around too easily. It seemed the ideal solution to me aa I do a lot of travelling, but I just can't get it to work as it should. I know that others are happy with theirs, but I have had no success with either my EX1 or my Z1.

Gareth Watkins February 20th, 2009 03:56 PM

I have a TLS Kestrel on my Z1.... well made and affordable.
Cheers
Gareth

Dean Harrington February 20th, 2009 04:23 PM

I have one ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Wayne Jones (Post 1015137)
Anyone using the Cinetactics Matteblox HD for the EX-1?
It seems very affordable.

cinetactics Sony PMW-EX1 Compatibility

I have their screen hoodie and it is extremely well made.

Kevin Jones

I bought one for an SD camera 4.3 aspect and it's very tricky to get right. It's great for travel but if you screw up on a project you may have to zoom in on post to clean up the image ... not a good idea!

Craig Hollenback February 21st, 2009 05:21 PM

I returned it

Hi Kevin, Ihad one and returned it. It did not attach well to the lens and tended to move around. Additionally, putting filters in was not the easiest even with the velco filter holders.
Best, Craig

Dean Harrington February 21st, 2009 05:45 PM

yea ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Hollenback (Post 1015963)
Hi Kevin, Ihad one and returned it. It did not attach well to the lens and tended to move around. Additionally, putting filters in was not the easiest even with the velco filter holders.
Best, Craig

I got one for my DVX100 a few years ago. The DVX did not have a full view LCD and the edges of the matteblox did not show up. In the edit ... it did and I had to zoom in to get it out of frame. Also, the filters as Craig said are not that easy to insert.

Brian Luce February 21st, 2009 07:48 PM

Call me superficial, but is it possible to make the EX's look sexy? The EX1 looks like a lens in search of a camera body. The EX3 looks like an XL-1 with an eating disorder.

David Issko February 21st, 2009 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 1016013)
Call me superficial, but is it possible to make the EX's look sexy? The EX1 looks like a lens in search of a camera body. The EX3 looks like an XL-1 with an eating disorder.

Stick an XS or HS lens on the EX3, just like I have. Any good name brand Mattebox with French Flag(s), add Ted's or VF Gadgets base plate for strength, stability additional good looks & a radio mic receiver or big battery on the back plate and there you have it, albeit somewhat bigger & heavier than the out of the box model. But it sure does look good!!!

Brian Luce February 22nd, 2009 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Issko (Post 1016075)
Stick an XS or HS lens on the EX3, just like I have. Any good name brand Mattebox with French Flag(s), add Ted's or VF Gadgets base plate for strength, stability additional good looks & a radio mic receiver or big battery on the back plate and there you have it, albeit somewhat bigger & heavier than the out of the box model. But it sure does look good!!!

Post some pics peeps! I want to see some black plastic!

Ronn Kilby February 22nd, 2009 10:58 AM

EX-1 w/mattebox

1 Attachment(s)
EX-1 w/mattebox

Hugh Mobley February 22nd, 2009 11:32 AM

I have one on my V1, never really had a problem, You have to really cinch it down as tight as you can, but I have left mine on in the back of the car, in the front on the floor, as long as you don't knock it around its ok, and the price is why I bought it, next step up for matt box is at least 4-500

Paul Kousoulides February 26th, 2009 05:52 PM

I have a Genus Matte Box with French Flag from True Lens Services Home
It's small, lightweight and well-made. It fits perfectly on the EX1. It doesn't offer all the bells and whistles that add weight and bulk to matte boxes - instead it gives you just what you most need.

TLS are nice people too.

Dan Chung February 26th, 2009 06:46 PM

I've just picked up the new version of the Genus Mattebox too, so far it looks like the best I've found for the EX-1. Lightweight but well constructed. I have Formatt, Cinevate and Cinetactics matteboxes but the Genus is better than all. I'll be testing it out fully over the coming weeks.

Dan