DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Bloomfest (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/144628-bloomfest.html)

Neil Dankoff February 25th, 2009 07:16 PM

Bloomfest

Is anyone here entering Bloomfest? I had a lot of fun making my first short (really short) film. Here is my entry Bloomfest 3: "I Love Movies" On ExposureRoom

Erik Phairas February 25th, 2009 10:14 PM

I entered the 2nd contest. I completely wiped up the whole lot, took all the prizes....

Errr, what I really mean is, I didn't get a single vote...LOL I am so busy constructing props for our sequel to The Thing, and trying to get my bike ready for the race at the same time (plus my full time job)... no way will I make the contest deadline. I always enjoying watching the entries though. :)

Serena Steuart February 25th, 2009 11:16 PM

Was there a list of votes? I presumed mine sank without trace. The third contest looks more satisfactory (voting always gets corrupted) but I discovered it much too late. Did write a script which will be produced, but for another festival.

Erik Phairas February 25th, 2009 11:38 PM

Here ya go Serena, at the top of this thread...

Bloom's Forum :: View topic - Vote here!!!!

Serena Steuart February 26th, 2009 12:28 AM

Thanks Erik. Interesting the number (56%) that received no vote (or 75% if you take out those with 1 vote, probably posted by the entrants). The value of entering a competition is feedback and I doubt very much that 75% of the entries were worthless. Many of those I viewed were credible films even with weaknesses, but I didn't have time to view them all so I didn't vote. The new competition has much better appraisal methodology and I hope that format is continued.

Erik Phairas February 26th, 2009 12:47 AM

In the first comp Philip sorta did a brief run down of what he liked and what didn't work so well.. Not very detailed at all, but that was what I entered the contest to read, and didn't get to. LOL

Neil Dankoff February 26th, 2009 07:21 AM

How is the voting corrupt?

Mark David Williams February 26th, 2009 07:33 AM

Neil

If you enter a film the more friends you have then the more votes you could get.

You dont have to be completely moral to justify getting all your friends to vote either because why shouldn't they. Thats what friends do they support cheer and help. Willing their side on.

Neil Dankoff February 26th, 2009 07:37 AM

I see what you mean. Although I wouldn't use the word "corrupt". In any event, first prize is determined by a panel regardless of how many "friend votes" any particular film might have received.

Serena Steuart February 26th, 2009 05:37 PM

Judgement by competent panel is the appropriate way of deciding winners and providing feedback to filmmakers, and this is how the 3rd competition has been organised. The 2nd was decided by voting, which method is highly flawed (I've happily participated in such "vote often for friend" arrangements). I guess "corrupt" could imply manipulation by the organisers, which certainly wasn't intended -- I meant open to manipulation by participants. Doesn't mean it happened in a particular competition, but the possibility of it undermines the value of participating.

Neil Dankoff February 27th, 2009 04:41 PM

There seems to be a lot less entries than the previous Bloomfests. Do the bulk of them come in right at the wire?

Bloomfest 3: "I Love Movies" On ExposureRoom

Phil Bloom March 2nd, 2009 03:01 AM

Hi Guys

Am hoping that people are still working on them. Such good prizes on offer be crazy not to.

I will be giving proper feedback, if wanted, on each film.

Best,

Phil

Steve Benjamin March 2nd, 2009 05:03 AM

Still working on mine.

Phil Bloom March 9th, 2009 10:03 PM

looking good, some of the films are really great.

hurry up and enter!

Philip Bloom Blog Archive Bloomfest 3, less than a week to go…