DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Newest Firmware Version EX3? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/144771-newest-firmware-version-ex3.html)

Eduardo Castelan February 27th, 2009 08:58 AM

Newest Firmware Version EX3?

Hi,

my Sony PMW EX-3 the firmware is v1.02_0078

How do I update to firmware of the EX-3 to use MxR?

And to firmware it be not updated, doesn't MxR work?

Thank you

Paul Inglis February 27th, 2009 09:48 AM

You don't need to update the firmware on the EX-3 to use MxR Cards. It's the EX-1 that need a firmware update. I use the MxR Cards without issue on my EX-3 and I haven't updated my firmware.

Eduardo Castelan February 27th, 2009 01:28 PM

Thank you Paul!

I now will need to buy the cards SDHC! Which manufacturer do you use for their works?

Ted OMalley February 27th, 2009 02:56 PM

Next time, you may want to try a search.

Here are a few links:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...sxs-cards.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...-shipping.html

Shawn Dooling February 27th, 2009 04:12 PM

Quick Question - Newest Firmware Version EX3?

What is the Newest Firmware Update for the EX3?

is it 1.04?

thanks

Shawn

Paul Inglis February 27th, 2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eduardo Castelan (Post 1019511)
Thank you Paul!

I now will need to buy the cards SDHC! Which manufacturer do you use for their works?

I personally use the Transcend 16GB SDHC but I have heard the Sandisk Ultra II & the Extreme III also work! There are many threads/posts on this forum, covering this topic!

Happy shooting,

Paul

Ned Soltz March 6th, 2009 10:30 PM

Just got back from NJ where Sony service was kind enough to let me drop off my EX3 in the morning and had it ready after lunch.

They updated firmware to v 1.04_0084, tested for 100 minutes, adjusted backfocus and just generally looked over camera.

I had not experienced the loss of manual focus bug, but I figured that I didn't want to wait until it happened. And while I had to be in the NY-NJ area, I was able to call Sony a few days in advance and arrange drop off service in Teaneck.

SDHC still works.

Ned Soltz

Andrew Stone March 7th, 2009 01:30 AM

When did the 1.04 firmware come out, how critical is this patch & is it just for squashing bugs?

I just did the 1.03 patch not that long ago.

Ned Soltz March 7th, 2009 07:48 AM

Since the firmware update fixes the loss of manual focus issue, I would say that it is a critical update.

Ned

Derek Reich March 7th, 2009 10:37 AM

dumb question

This is yet another thing I should no doubt already know (there seems to be a lot of these lately)
But where do I find out what firmware version my camera has? I can't seem to find anything in the menus....

Barry J. Anwender March 7th, 2009 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Reich (Post 1023905)
This is yet another thing I should no doubt already know (there seems to be a lot of these lately)
But where do I find out what firmware version my camera has? I can't seem to find anything in the menus....

Press the select, cancel, and menu buttons all at once--but not the ones on the handle (they won't work),the ones next to the menu button. New menu items will appear at the bottom and you scroll to IF.

Sony's management of EXn firmware updates is horribly screwed up. We can only hope that global economic realities will force them to refocus and get up to speed with rest of the industry, so that we can download firmware updates and apply to our EXn camera's. Until then, your questions are by no means dumb or ill founded.

Derek Reich March 7th, 2009 11:39 AM

Thanks, Barry
good lord, how does Sony expect us to figure this stuff out?
okay... so I have determined I have v. 1.02 something. how does this manual focus bug manifest itself? I want to make sure I recognize it if I see it. I almost always use manual focus....
thanks very much. it's simply amazing the amount of information available on this forum!

Andrew Stone March 7th, 2009 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ned Soltz (Post 1023823)
Since the firmware update fixes the loss of manual focus issue, I would say that it is a critical update.

Ned

Hmmm. I got the 1.03_0082 update and it was supposed to address this. I guess they have made more tweaks to the firmware.

I'll be calling up Sony Canada on Monday to get the scoop.

Andrew Stone March 7th, 2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Reich (Post 1023938)
how does this manual focus bug manifest itself? I want to make sure I recognize it if I see it. I almost always use manual focus.

The documented issue with it appears to happen when you are using manual assist with the focus ring pushed forward. There is another menu driven option that puts it closer to being in auto than in manual. When you use either/or functions, running the camera for a long time, the manual focus ring will not respond to your adjustments. It's the EX3's version of "Blue Screen of Death" where the machine just won't respond. OK I'm overstating it but you get the point.

There are a couple of threads here on the matter. One is very long and cited many instances of the focus locking up when you are in manual assist mode and shooting continously for a long time. Focus lock times seem to range from half an hour to over 3 hours, with most instances being closer to the 3 hour end of the spectrum.

Derek Reich March 7th, 2009 11:18 PM

damn..... but I (so far) haven't used focus assist, just plain ol' manual focus. (with the aid of expanded focus once in a while)
So maybe this isn't a big concern, unless you use focus assist?