DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Best method for converting EX1 footage for SD editing? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/145435-best-method-converting-ex1-footage-sd-editing.html)

John Peterson March 9th, 2009 07:02 AM

Best method for converting EX1 footage for SD editing?

Want to use footage shot with EX1 at HQ 1080/60i with Sony VX2000 DV 4:3 camera for editing on a standard DV 720x480 timeline. Most of the footage was shot with the VX2000 on miniDV and the final output will be both full size DV tape and SD DVDs.

I don't have to use the footage shot with the EX1 for this job, but I would like to. Most of the foortage was shot with the VX2000.

How do I convert the footage ahead of time for best quality to import into editor [an older version of Sony Vegas (Vegas 4.0)]?

I have searched the forum and didn't find a similar situation or any consensus regarding conversion in general.

I know Clip Browser 2.0 will convert to avi, but seemed to produce bad results last time I tried it.

Do you have better recommendations?

Thanks,
John

Perrone Ford March 9th, 2009 07:37 AM

well, I do my down conversion in Virtualdub and it gives results about as good as can be had. The caveat is that the footage really needs to be in an .AVI container for Virtualdub to do it's job. So you'll need something to convert the mp4/mxf files straight from the camera into an .AVI container with a codec virtualdub can understand. I use "Super" to do this when required, but there may be other encoders that work also.

Once you get the file into Virtual dub, just use the resize filter and choose "Lanczos" for the method. Very clean.

John Peterson March 9th, 2009 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 1024765)
well, I do my down conversion in Virtualdub and it gives results about as good as can be had. The caveat is that the footage really needs to be in an .AVI container for Virtualdub to do it's job. So you'll need something to convert the mp4/mxf files straight from the camera into an .AVI container with a codec virtualdub can understand. I use "Super" to do this when required, but there may be other encoders that work also.

Once you get the file into Virtual dub, just use the resize filter and choose "Lanczos" for the method. Very clean.

Thanks for the response Perrone.

I like SUPER. Do you use the Default settings for that operation?

Secondly, when you say "straight from the camera", could you elaborate a little.

Thanks again.

John

Craig Seeman March 9th, 2009 09:20 AM

I use EX video in SD timeline as is.
It allows you to reframe the image as needed.
It allows you to create fake camera motion by moving the image within the frame.
It does mean you'll have to render during editing but the creative freedom is worth it.

Perrone Ford March 9th, 2009 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 1024821)
I use EX video in SD timeline as is.
It allows you to reframe the image as needed.
It allows you to create fake camera motion by moving the image within the frame.
It does mean you'll have to render during editing but the creative freedom is worth it.

That's all well and good, but will Vegas 4.0 drop an XDcamEX file onto the timeline in the first place?

John Peterson March 9th, 2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 1024826)
That's all well and good, but will Vegas 4.0 drop an XDcamEX file onto the timeline in the first place?

No it won't. Plan to upgrade to Vegas 9 when it comes out in a month or so despite the current good deal on Vegas Pro 8, but for now I need an alternative. But thanks Craig.

John

Craig Seeman March 9th, 2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 1024826)

It's always worth upgrading the $600 NLE to keep up with the $7000 kit.
If it doesn't work directly one should cross convert (not downconvert to SD IMHO) into another HD codec.

Keep in mind that time is money and one should way the cost of the upgrade (might be reasonable) vs the amount of time needed to crossconvert (or even downconvert if that's your druther). If there's a lot to convert one could make "selects" first.

Craig Seeman March 9th, 2009 09:48 AM

Will 4 handle MXF? There's a ClipBrowser option of MXF for NLE.
Episode Pro can crossconvert to other HD codecs ($900 though). Pro Coder might be able to do this too. ffmpeg might be able to do this too but it's a bit "geeky" for some. Can VirtualDub do this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Peterson (Post 1024831)
No it won't. Plan to upgrade to Vegas 9 when it comes out in a month or so despite the current good deal on Vegas Pro 8, but for now I need an alternative. But thanks Craig.

John

John Peterson March 9th, 2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 1024832)
It's always worth upgrading the $600 NLE to keep up with the $7000 kit.
If it doesn't work directly one should cross convert (not downconvert to SD IMHO) into another HD codec.

Keep in mind that time is money and one should way the cost of the upgrade (might be reasonable) vs the amount of time needed to crossconvert (or even downconvert if that's your druther). If there's a lot to convert one could make "selects" first.

Craig,

Thanks. Please read my post. I would be upgrading twice in two months if I did it now and as I stated in my OP, I have a lot of footage from the VX2000 to work with. Some of the EX1 footage has some good content so I may want to use it for this project. Project due in a month or so.

John

John Peterson March 9th, 2009 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 1024835)
Will 4 handle MXF?
Can VirtualDub do this?

1. No

2. Don't know

John