DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX-3 package setup info (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/145594-ex-3-package-setup-info.html)

Ed Kukla March 11th, 2009 06:07 AM

EX-3 package setup info

Getting close to buying an EX-3. My head is spinning with all the options possible for setting up a complete package. So I'm looking for some help. Is there a tutorial that runs through the options available; especially in regards to the cards, hard drives, editing, and general post issues?
Alternately, how about posting here some summaries of equipment?

I'd like to see the latest on the aftermarket cards. I'm lost in the alphabet soup of information on this stuff. Yes, I read the entire thread on these cards and I THINK I have some idea. But a summary of what's working best now would be great.

Information on external hard drive choices for field recording with this camera (besides the Sony EX one).

I plan on setting up an edit system also. I am already married to PC so I'm going to stick with that. I'm looking for real world specs for a notebook computer plus opinions on edit software. I don't need a deluxe package like CS3 and I don't want to break the bank. This system will, for the near term, only edit EX-3 footage so maximum compatibility with all the EX3 capabilities is most important. My editing will be fairly simple and little to no graphics or animation. I'm thinking Vegas or Edius?

I'll need storage of archives. I'm going to be very, very short on space so compact size is a good thing. One of the uses will be for stock footage. I'll need to categorize all that and keep plenty on hand.

A bit of info on blu-ray would be great also. Will blu-ray work for archiving some footage at full resolution?

Thanks much for any and all help here.

Anthony McErlean March 11th, 2009 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Kukla (Post 1025929)
Getting close to buying an EX-3. My head is spinning.....

I'm in the same boat and the price is going up, again. aahhhhh what to do. EX1 or EX3.
The EX1 is cheaper but I want the EX3. I'm used to a shoulder mount DSR390 camera and the EX3 would suite me better.
I haven't seen any EX3 footage but from what I read I wont be disappointed.
My DSr 390 is down to something like .5 lux How does the EX3 compare to that.
Only thing is, I need to act quick to get a good deal from a supplier.

Whats the advice from you guys.

thanks.

Brian Luce March 11th, 2009 08:42 AM

Sony Vegas has been the leader in best bang for the buck for a long time now IMHOP. It's a great, user friendly inexpensive nle. It also integrates well with the EX and Blu-ray. Laptops are fine, but make sure it has an express card 34 slot. Take a look at the Lenovas.

DVinfo has a pipeline set up with the MxR in australia.

Then get a bigger batter, an IR filter and a case and you'll be ready to kick butt and take names.

Andrew Stone March 11th, 2009 11:51 PM

There is a summary of the SDHC solutions here. Poke around a bit.

Not sure if there is that much of a shortcut to solve your problem other than spending a few more evenings reading stuff here.

Usually everything gets back to money so your decision is going to be ultimately can you afford the EX3 or not. The shortcomings of the EX1 to the EX3 are well documented here. Might want to jones around Philip Bloom's blog/website.

In broad strokes, the ergos, the viewfinder and interchangable lenses are the big pluses of the EX3. The big plus about the EX1 is it's compact size (although it is tougher to handhold than the EX3 for long periods but this is somewhat debatable).

Ed Kukla March 12th, 2009 04:59 AM

looking for options beyond the camera

I'm not looking for any feedback on the cameras themselves. I pretty much know the score there. I'll be going EX-3, not EX-1.

What I'm looking for is some help on choosing options.

Best W/A lens?

How much laptop is needed; RAM, Processor speed, etc.?

Best software edit solution? No need for CS3.

Best archival setup?

My biggest needs are in the edit/post realm, I'm not a practicing editor so this aspect is foreign to me.