DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Thinking of getting an EX3, time running out. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/145600-thinking-getting-ex3-time-running-out.html)

Anthony McErlean March 11th, 2009 08:47 AM

Thinking of getting an EX3, time running out.

The price is going up, again. aahhhhh what to do. EX1 or EX3.
The EX1 is cheaper but I want the EX3. I'm used to a shoulder mount DSR390 camera and the EX3 would suite me better.
I haven't seen any EX3 footage but from what I read I wont be disappointed.
My DSR 390 is down to something like .5 lux How does the EX3 compare to that.
Only thing is, I need to act quick to get a good deal from a supplier.

Whats the advice from you guys.

(sorry, I think I posted this in the wrong place originally)

Thanks

Brian Cassar March 11th, 2009 09:21 AM

Anthony I had a DSR-300 for 10 years and I've switched over first to a EX1 (lasted for a few weeks) and then an EX3. If you do a lot of shoulder work (that is not tripod work, like me) the EX1 is not for you. Even with the various supports out there the EX1 is a hand held camera.

The EX3 is much better. However I had to buy the VF gadget tripod base mount so that it mimics a sort of shoulder support. I found it very good. I also fitted the EX3 with a Bebob V-lock mount and bought a 210 WHr battery so that the extra 1.5Kg weight of this battery counterbalances the EX3 on the shoulder. It is still not a true shoulder mounted camera like the DSR-300 series but after sometime you get used to it and would not notice.

I too was afraid of the difference in low light capabilities. Theoretically the difference between the EX1 and DSR-300 series is half a stop. Practically I couldn't detect any differences, even though I had a Canon 1.4 lens before and now a Fuji 1.9 lens.

There is absolutely no comparison of the SD footage of the DSR-300 with the HD footage of the EX3. However if you intend to compare the SD footage of the DSR-300 with the downconverted HD-SD footage from the EX3 you are in for a surprise. I know there are many others who do not agree with this but the SD footage from my 10 year old DSR-300 is absolutely stunning when compared to the EX3's downconverted footage whether by Sony's XDCAM EX software or by the camera or by Premiere Pro CS3.

The EX3 needs some third party accessories to become like a DSR-300 series - namely a good shot gun mic, a V-lock (or AB) battery adaptor having a d-tap outlet, and a tripod plate.

One thing that you will never have is the auto on-board light switch on when you press the rec button. The light has to be switched on manually.

Noah Kadner March 11th, 2009 09:21 AM

Is there something you want us to compare for you? If you're asking is the EX3 better than the EX1- well yes if you have a desire for interchangeable glass. Otherwise it's very similar. Is it a good camera- sure. Is it the last camera you'll ever need, probably not but what is this days?

-Noah

Doug Jensen March 11th, 2009 09:24 AM

This 75 minute video won't answer all your questions, but a lot of people have written to tell me that it helped them make a decision as to which camera to get.

What's So Great about XDCAM EX?

Give it a few seconds to load, it's not really set up for streaming properly right now.

Brian Luce March 11th, 2009 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Cassar (Post 1026015)

. I know there are many others who do not agree with this but the SD footage from my 10 year old DSR-300 is absolutely stunning when compared to the EX3's downconverted footage whether by Sony's XDCAM EX software or by the camera or by Premiere Pro CS3.

I wonder if there aren't better ways though, to downconvert. Especially hardware based. Maybe someone knows?

Buba Kastorski March 11th, 2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean (Post 1025998)
Thanks

I used to shoot with DSR390 also, now I have EX1, I'd say there is a half stop difference in low light, but other than that EX is a winner,
EX1 or EX3, there is no performance improvement from 1 to 3, but if you really need interchangeable lenses go for EX3, otherwise pay a few thousand $ for a shutter knob and some I/O ports missing from EX1 is a bit too much, none of them is shoulder mounted, but either could be converted to with a proper shoulder support system; as soon as EX3 came out I wanted to upgrade, but as soon as I tried it I left that idea alone,
you'll get the same awesome image with any of two, it's just a features set and form factor,
try them both and check your bank account, or maybe vice versa,
:)

Anthony McErlean March 11th, 2009 09:57 AM

Thanks all for you thoughts. I had a DSR 300 then the 390, and I think your right Brian about the downconverted footage from the EX3 compared to the DSR300.

Noah, it was just your thoughts in general about the cameras.

Doug, thanks for the link.

Brian, you said "One thing that you will never have is the auto on-board light switch on when you press the rec button. The light has to be switched on manually."

I'll miss that if i go the EX3 route.

Thanks Buba, just read your post.

Dennis Joseph March 11th, 2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean (Post 1025998)
The price is going up, again. aahhhhh what to do. EX1 or EX3.
The EX1 is cheaper but I want the EX3. I'm used to a shoulder mount DSR390 camera and the EX3 would suite me better.
I haven't seen any EX3 footage but from what I read I wont be disappointed.
Only thing is, I need to act quick to get a good deal from a supplier.

(sorry, I think I posted this in the wrong place originally)

Thanks

What do you mean "the price is going up again"?

Anthony McErlean March 11th, 2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Joseph (Post 1026041)
What do you mean "the price is going up again"?

When I inquired about the EX3 today from two suppliers I was told there is going to be another price increase soon.

Dennis Joseph March 11th, 2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean (Post 1026049)
When I inquired about the EX3 today from two suppliers I was told there is going to be another price increase soon.

The current price is about $8,300. What was it before? I don't remember it being lower than that.

Anthony McErlean March 11th, 2009 10:46 AM

The price I got today was from £6990.00 to £7187.00 inc vat before the coming price increase

Dennis Joseph March 11th, 2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean (Post 1026065)
The price I got today was from £6990.00 to £7187.00 inc vat before the coming price increase

Oh you are spcifically speaking in Europe. I don't remember a price change in the U.S.

Anthony McErlean March 11th, 2009 10:52 AM

Yes, buying from here.

Joachim Hoge March 11th, 2009 11:20 AM

Most electronic equipment had a 5-10% price hike around new year in parts of Europe due to weaker currencies

Anthony McErlean March 11th, 2009 11:28 AM

Yes, I was told there was an increase then too.