DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Offloading Clips using Clip Browser V.S. Shotput V.S. Drag & Drop (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/178161-offloading-clips-using-clip-browser-v-s-shotput-v-s-drag-drop.html)

James Huenergardt April 9th, 2009 11:35 AM

Offloading Clips using Clip Browser V.S. Shotput V.S. Drag & Drop

Hi,

I've read a few places on this forum where folks are offloading to an external hard drive using Clip Browser software. I can't for the life of me figure out how to do that.

Any help?

Also, I own Shotput and have used that exclusively for offloading my cards and have had no problems.

I know Shotput will do some data checking when it copies, and I've heard Clip Browser will if you set it up to do that.

How does this differ from just a simple drag/drop on a Mac from the SxS card to your folder on one or more external drives?

Thanks,

Jim

Bruce Rawlings April 9th, 2009 12:15 PM

I hate to admit it but I find clipbrowser baffling. I cannot get it to work at all. Will have another go over the weekend. Have transferred on my MBP to a new folder on a hard drive from SxS and MxR without problems but would like the comfort of CRC in operation. I think Craig has made a tutorial but I cannot locate it.

Craig Seeman April 9th, 2009 04:12 PM

Set Target Location in Preferences.
Select card or whatever is holding the BPAV. You'll see the folder with a little card icon.
Select the copy ALL button on the top menu bar.

That's it. What's the baffling part?

Mitchell Lewis April 9th, 2009 06:51 PM

Someone did a screen capture of exactly how to do this (had an English accent), but I don't have the link to it anymore.

It's very easy once you understand the menus and icons. Really, really easy. Honest. :)

Leonard Levy April 9th, 2009 08:09 PM

I recently compared all three method and for my workflow fell in love with clip browser. It seems self evident to me if you have v2.5.
Open the Explorer window,
Create a folder for where you want to download clips either in Clip Browser ( pick a folder in the window , then click on the folder icon in Clip Browser and a new SxS older is created within that folder), or on your desktop previously.
Click on the SXS card in the explorer window and all your clips will appear in the explorer window. Select them all or just some and drag into your chosen download folder. Clip Browser will copy the clips and rebuild all the other files you need in your new folder. You can also delete clips in that window and play them to check them

You can then add subsequent cards into the same folder if you like put all the days work in one folder. You can automatically link spanned cards by copying clips into the same folder.

In the preferences choose to have clip browser always do error correction.

Its very easy.

Lenny levy

David Issko April 9th, 2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Huenergardt (Post 1071401)
Hi,

I've read a few places on this forum where folks are offloading to an external hard drive using Clip Browser software. I can't for the life of me figure out how to do that.

Any help?

Also, I own Shotput and have used that exclusively for offloading my cards and have had no problems.

I know Shotput will do some data checking when it copies, and I've heard Clip Browser will if you set it up to do that.

How does this differ from just a simple drag/drop on a Mac from the SxS card to your folder on one or more external drives?

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Over the past months, there have been a number of people posting that they lost components of the BPAV files or files became unplayable (corrupt????) from the simple D&D method.

Clip Browser carries out a CRC ( cyclic redundancy check), which is used to detect accidental alteration of data during transmission. You need to check this function on in the prefs as Craig stated above.

That's it basically. A simple but essential aid in ensuring the integrity of data transfers.

As Craig states, open CB, choose the BPAV folder in the CB Explorer window from your sxs card or other card/storage medium of choice. You will see all the clips thumbnails open up so you know you are doing well.

Open the CB prefs, check the CRC to the on state, in the General tab. In the same tab, choose the storage medium you wish to 'copy all files to'.

Close the prefs. Click on the copy all icon - the middle icon in the group in the top left side of the Explorer window. A new small window opens to confirm that this is what you want to do. It will place the BPAV folder in another folder that has the year date and time Click ok. After transfer, I just change the folder's name to the job title/description that suits me.

I use Clip Browser to copy the BPAV folder from hard drive to hard drive as well.

Hope this helps.