DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   XDCAM How to clips by me! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/236339-xdcam-how-clips-me.html)

John Woods May 30th, 2009 02:00 PM

interlace 50i vs 25p

Alister:

I enjoyed your story on interlace, but would like to make a small comment. I agree with you that most converter programs do a poor job of going from 50i to 50p (60i to 60p over here), however the fact remains that the 50i footage has more motion information and that an excellent deinterlace program can often generate better 60p from 60i than from 30p. In particular, the Shake program does a nice job with interlaced footage. Now, you never said that this was not so with sophisticated programs, but I thought it would be a nice addition to observe this fact. This would be a nice demonstration.

John Woods

Dave Morrison May 30th, 2009 03:04 PM

Very nicely done, Alister. I especially enjoyed your comparisons showing the impact of shutter speeds on panning blur. One thing I'd suggest strongly is to keep your cel phone away from you when you are recording. You could hear it during the early part of the timelapse video piece.

Alister Chapman May 31st, 2009 01:48 AM

But John, almost no one has any real delivery options for 60P at the moment. 60P from 60i will have more temporal resolution, true, but there will be a lot less spacial resolution than 30p. it should be remembered that with current cameras 60i has less spacial resolution than 30p due to the line averaging that takes place to generate fields in current CCD and CMOS sensors. Temporal resolution isn't everything and to try and go into too much detail in a 2 min video would probably confuse and cause more questions than answers.

Dave: I was wondering who would spot that first! When I record the next VO's I'll re record those sections. The phone was in the room next door, but against the wall where I had the mic. DOH!

Mitchell Lewis May 31st, 2009 09:14 AM

Thank you Alister. Your tutorial on "why to use a shutter when shooting progressive" was a huge help to me. You made the light bulb come on above my head. Much appreciated. :)

John Woods May 31st, 2009 02:17 PM

60p to 30p

Alister:

I guess by 30i you really mean 60i. I guess the best acquisition 60i or 30p for conversion to 60p depends on the scene with its spatial and temporal detail. However, it is not clear that one choice is always best.

Dave Morrison May 31st, 2009 02:33 PM

Alister, that's one of those sounds that jump out at me instantly when I hear it. I used to produce two podcasts for the newspaper I used to work for (three guesses what happened to THAT job) and I was always plagued by people bringing their GSM phones into the studio. "But I muted it....isn't that enough??" I'm hearing it a lot on network shows (!) which is really surprising.

Greg Chisholm May 31st, 2009 08:02 PM

nicely presented. concise.

Well done!

Picture profiles would be awesome, also tcls.

thanks

Greg

Alister Chapman June 1st, 2009 12:49 AM

John you are correct, I meant 60i and I have corrected my post above. You are correct that there is no clear right or wrong way to do it. It will depend on your specific requirements. That's why I don't say you must or should shoot P. I simply state that I choose to shoot p.

Erik Phairas June 1st, 2009 10:55 PM

Awesome Al, thanks for the videos!

Alister Chapman June 2nd, 2009 09:00 AM

Here's another

YouTube - Aperture, Depth of Field and Diffraction. How to Guide.

Aperture, depth of field and diffraction.

Erik Phairas June 2nd, 2009 07:03 PM

Great work Al, keep at it!

Alastair Traill June 3rd, 2009 07:04 AM

Thanks Alister for a lot of good tips.

I have been wondering about lengthy time lapse shots of things like plants growing or flowers blooming where providing uniform illumination would be a problem. Is there a way synchronising a flash with each frame?

Alister Chapman June 3rd, 2009 11:25 AM

With an EX only by building a controller and then using frame record, but it would be tricky to set up. For those kinds of sequences a simple digital stills camera is the way to go, stiching the stills together with you edit software. I've done sequences over weeks and months that way. There are plenty of cheap controllers on ebay for timelapse with DSLR's.

Tom Roper June 3rd, 2009 01:02 PM

Thank you Alister. Well done.

Alastair Traill June 3rd, 2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1153465)
With an EX only by building a controller and then using frame record, but it would be tricky to set up. For those kinds of sequences a simple digital stills camera is the way to go, stiching the stills together with you edit software. I've done sequences over weeks and months that way. There are plenty of cheap controllers on ebay for timelapse with DSLR's.

Thanks Alister