DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   ex3 blues (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/237124-ex3-blues.html)

David Herman June 10th, 2009 01:33 PM

ex3 blues

Finally laid my hands on my new ex3. Got home excited. set it up. no focus - manual or auto. Powered down. restarted. Now I could adjust focus but servo would only zoom out not in. Powered down. Zoom working but focus all over the show. Back focused. Focus and zoom out - focus gone except for one point on zoom out. Likewise on zoom in. Power down. No zoom no focus. I have spent £7000 on a lemon.

Daniel Epstein June 10th, 2009 05:16 PM

Take it back and get a different one. Do not let them fix it and give it back to you. If it doesn't work out of the box you are entitled to an exchange but you have to deal with it correctly and right away

John Hedgecoe June 10th, 2009 09:10 PM

Agreed. Get it exchanged ASAP.

Buck Forester June 10th, 2009 09:23 PM

My first EX1 shipped with a broken viewfinder. The shop I bought it from asked if I had registered it online yet, and I said no, and they were relieved because apparently it's easier to get a new one exchanged if you haven't done any paperwork and/or registered the serial number, otherwise they usually try and 'fix' it.

Barry J. Anwender June 10th, 2009 10:48 PM

Sony is so embattled with its $1bn+ loss that it doesn't know night from day--up from down. Its customer service/focus is non-existent because it has laid off or fired the staff that might have provided you with working EX3. Your situation is truly dreadful in the most unimaginable possibilities. Demand nothing less than a fully functional EX3 or your money back! Be prepared to walk away with your money back. There is no shame in calling a lemon a lemon.

John Woo June 11th, 2009 12:47 AM

I would have open up and test the basic things like power on, zoom in & out, focusing, recording to SXS, plakback before paying the shop. Don't want to bring home a lemon and get scolding by wife.

David Herman June 11th, 2009 01:21 AM

John, how come I didn't notice you leering over my wife's shoulder? And yes, I can't believe I actually walked out of the dealer not having checked THAT camera. I had spent hours with their demo camera weeks ago.

Alister Chapman June 11th, 2009 02:51 AM

As it's an EX3 you might want to make sure there isn't anything disrupting the connection between the lens and the camera body, such as a bit of dirt or fluff. This would give the kind of behavior you are describing.

Paul Kellett June 11th, 2009 02:57 AM

David, did you get the camera from the main dealer local to you ?, if it's the shop i'm thinking of (begins with P) then i'm sure you'll get an exchange without too much fuss.
Me and a few of my colleagues shop there and they have a good reputation.

Paul.

David Herman June 11th, 2009 03:04 AM

Paul, spot on and I am hoping my experience improves, after all, as you say, reputation counts for a lot.

Paul Kellett June 11th, 2009 03:23 AM

You should be ok with that shop.
Out of interest what do you shoot ? Weddings ? Nature ? Corporate stuff ?

Paul.

David Herman June 11th, 2009 04:48 AM

Nothing as profitable as that. I'm a long time indie doc maker. In pre-production at present on a Bovines vs Badgers TB doc. Last doc, Filmmaker Profile: David Herman, FAIR PLAY | ITVS Beyond the Box Blog

Andy Wilkinson June 11th, 2009 05:03 AM

Corporate filmmaking profitable!!!! I'm obviously not charging enough! ;-) Good luck with exchanging what looks like a dud EX3.

David Herman June 18th, 2009 04:06 PM

Got my "new" exchanged ex3 today. No issues so far. A thing of beauty. With the DM shoulder support and my old tiffen steadistick, I handheld for a couple of hours today with no, wrist, arm or back fatigue. The viewfinder is a mighty blessing. This old codger is a happy bunny.

Andy Schocken June 19th, 2009 08:11 AM

problem is they shouldn't be selling these things to pig farmers in the first place