DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Remote for EX3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/239114-remote-ex3.html)

Dave Tyrer July 16th, 2009 01:27 AM

Remote for EX3

Are there any simple remotes that plug into the back of the EX3 (not the lens), just for starting/stopping record? Preferably fixed to the panhandle.

Thanks

Ed Kukla July 16th, 2009 06:41 AM

There is a wireless remote control that comes with the camera

Dave Tyrer July 16th, 2009 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Kukla (Post 1172428)
There is a wireless remote control that comes with the camera

Yes Ed...I did notice :-) but that's not what I had in mind. I want something that fits on the panhandle. I was looking at this but I don't know whether it works on the rear remote connection or only the stock lens connection.

Manfrotto 521EX - RC SONY EX-CLAMP

Dave Tyrer July 17th, 2009 03:48 AM

What are other people using, when 35mm lenses are fitted ?

Paul Zwicker July 17th, 2009 11:05 AM

Sony remote control paint box

Not that this in any way attaches to the pan arm, but it will start/stop the camera and plugs into the rear of the camera.
The same paint box that runs the F900 runs the EX cameras-sorry I do not have the model number.
Check the EX website.

Dave Tyrer July 17th, 2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Zwicker (Post 1172989)
Not that this in any way attaches to the pan arm, but it will start/stop the camera and plugs into the rear of the camera.
The same paint box that runs the F900 runs the EX cameras-sorry I do not have the model number.
Check the EX website.

Thanks Paul..it really does need to be on the panhandle. I had one of the vendors speaking to Sony today about this...it may be possible they will bring something out in the future.

Dan Chung July 17th, 2009 06:26 PM

This is the very question I asked Phil Bloom when the Letus relay was launched, never got an answer. Phil if you are there, how do you trigger the EX-3 when run and gunning with a relay on the EX-3? or are you restricted to just the button on the camera top plate?

Dan

Doug Jensen July 17th, 2009 07:25 PM

Almost any rear zoom controller you buy for the EX1 (or any camera) will also include a record Start/Stop control, and usually a Return button as well.

Personally, I use the Bebob Zoe with my EX1, but I could'nt say whether it is any better than other brands since I haven't tried the other brands.

Bebob Engineering | ZOE-EX Zoom Controller for Sony | BE-ZOE-EX1

Dan Chung July 17th, 2009 11:55 PM

Doug,

I think you miss the point, when you remove the EX lens and fit a 35mm adapter and relay lens then you are also removing the remote control socket. This leaves the remote socket on the rear of the EX-3 which is non-standard and currently only support a couple of very expensive Sony controllers which are not pan handle types.

There is an adapter from Fujinon Fujinon ACM-21 Lens Mount Adaptor for Sony PMW-EX3 :: HDV, HD Lens Adapters :: Optical Lens Adapters :: Lenses & Optical Lens Adapters :: Equipment Sales :: Abel Cine Tech that might work but it has glass in it, not ideal for a relay lens setup.

Dan

Dave Tyrer July 18th, 2009 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Chung (Post 1173215)
Doug,

I think you miss the point, when you remove the EX lens and fit a 35mm adapter and relay lens then you are also removing the remote control socket. This leaves the remote socket on the rear of the EX-3 which is non-standard and currently only support a couple of very expensive Sony controllers which are not pan handle types.

There is an adapter from Fujinon Fujinon ACM-21 Lens Mount Adaptor for Sony PMW-EX3 :: HDV, HD Lens Adapters :: Optical Lens Adapters :: Lenses & Optical Lens Adapters :: Equipment Sales :: Abel Cine Tech that might work but it has glass in it, not ideal for a relay lens setup.

Dan

Thanks Dan..finally someone that understands..lol. I think I'll have to get used to operating the button on the top.

Dave

Doug Jensen July 18th, 2009 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Chung (Post 1173215)
Doug,

I think you miss the point, when you remove the EX lens and fit a 35mm adapter and relay lens then you are also removing the remote control socket.

Oops. You're right. I did miss the point. Sorry for not reading the question closer.

The Sony RM-B150 will do what you want it to do but it may not be worth the expense and it may be a challenge to mount it on the pan handle.
Sony | RMB-150A Hand Held Remote Control | RMB150//A | B&H Photo

On both my EX3 and EX1, I have Assign Button #3 permanently programmed for "Record Start/Stop" because it is in a very convenient location that is easy to find with my left hand without looking. My left hand is usually on the lens anyway, so it's a small motion to slide over and hit the button. Unless I'm shooting hand-held, Assign #3 is actually the only record button I ever use.

Using an Assign button might not be the solution you are looking for, but it's better than using the button on top of the handle.

Dave Tyrer July 18th, 2009 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1173278)
Oops. You're right. I did miss the point. Sorry for not reading the question closer.

The Sony RM-B150 will do what you want it to do but it may not be worth the expense and it may be a challenge to mount it on the pan handle.
Sony | RMB-150A Hand Held Remote Control | RMB150//A | B&H Photo

On both my EX3 and EX1, I have Assign Button #3 permanently programmed for "Record Start/Stop" because it is in a very convenient location that is easy to find with my left hand without looking. My left hand is usually on the lens anyway, so it's a small motion to slide over and hit the button. Unless I'm shooting hand-held, Assign #3 is actually the only record button I ever use.

Using an Assign button might not be the solution you are looking for, but it's better than using the button on top of the handle.

Doug that's a great idea thanks...much better than fumbling about trying to get to the button on the handle. My buttons are about to be re-assigned.