DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   SLR Canon-EF-24-105mm on SONY EX3. Can I make this work as a good telephoto lense ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/239495-slr-canon-ef-24-105mm-sony-ex3-can-i-make-work-good-telephoto-lense.html)

Chris Amana July 22nd, 2009 10:22 AM

SLR Canon-EF-24-105mm on SONY EX3. Can I make this work as a good telephoto lense ?

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens Review

I keep reading about 35 mm adapters ect..

Would my above SLR lense make a good addition to my EX3 ?

If so what would I need to attach it ? would it nessecarily have to be those DOF adapters ?

:)

Chris

Derek Reich July 22nd, 2009 08:26 PM

The main problem with using Canon EF lenses is that they don't have a manual aperture ring, so you cannot adjust the aperture while on an EX3. You would have to mount the lens on a Canon EOS camera to set your f-stop, then mount it back on the EX.

A major pain in the butt compared to using a Nikon lens. I am a dedicated Canon still shooter, and have lots of EF glass that I would love to use on my EX, but to date no one has made an adapter which will be able to retain aperture adjustment while mounted on the EX. An electronic contact controls aperture on EF lenses, so it's not a simple thing as these adapters do not make any electronic connections.

Mike Tapa makes some excellent adapters, and at one point was working on one for a Canon EF lens with aperture adjustment, but I guess it proved too complicated. I had high hopes for this possibility.
I would suggest looking for some comparable Nikon glass, and getting a Nikon adapter. Be aware that you will have about a 5.5X focal length magnification using a 35mm lens on the 1/2" camera. (a bonus if you need as much tele as you can get, as there is no light loss. A bummer if you thought you could use your wide angle lens.....)

I bought an old Nikkor 80-200 lens off eBay for less than $200 which is astonishingly sharp. You don't need nor can you use auto-focus and image stabilization on the EX anyway, so unless you already have some lenses you can use look for some of the older (pre-auto focus) glass and save some money. There are some fantastic lenses out there for really good prices. You also don't need a DOF adapter for the EX3, just the 35mm adapter. Just remember that any lens you use in this configuration will have the focal length magnification, and have fun.

The DOF adapters will give you the same focal length as the lens you use, but are $$$ and a tad more involved setting up. They're the only way to go if you want wide angle with the DOF of the 35mm lens though.

cheers

Chris Amana July 23rd, 2009 12:58 AM

Thankys Derek !

Everything you wrote made sense to me and I'm slowly understanding where I want to be with my setup.

:)

Mike Tapa July 23rd, 2009 09:47 AM

Hi Derek.

I am actually still working on the electronic Canon EF to EX3 adaptor.
Yes it is complicated, (especially when working on other projects concurrently) but towel has not been thrown in yet.

When I have more info, you will be the first to know.

Derek Reich July 23rd, 2009 07:19 PM

Great to hear, Mike!
I was thinking that it must have become too cumbersome to be a reality. I'll be eagerly awaiting word that you were successful! My Nikon adapter works beautifully, and I have two Nikkor lenses I use with it, but salivate over the possibility of using my Canon glass.
Good luck-
cheers
Derek

Andy Wilkinson January 3rd, 2011 02:09 PM

Adaptor with Canon 70-200mm EF and Sony EX3

I know this is an old thread but I've searched around in this forum section and found several (even older) threads of interest but this looks like the best one to keep this particular subject all in one place.

I'm looking into the possibility of getting a Canon EF lens to Sony EX3 adapter so I can put my Canon 70-200 F4 IS on (or the F2.8 version of the same lens) - possibly also with my 1.4X Converter with either (as well, although I'm not sure I'll need that extra reach with the 5.4x magnification I'll get).

I understand all the stuff about needing to set the aperture of the lens on my Canon 7D before attaching to the EX3 and I reckon I can live with that but just touching base to check there is not an electronically aware version of an EF to EX3 adapter on the horizon.

Also, the Canon 70-200mm F4 IS lens is pretty light (compared to the EX3 stock lens) so I'm assuming no rails will be needed, right? The F2.8 Canon version is a bit heavier but I guess would still not need rails - anyone done these "combos"? I think I read somewhere on the web that the EX3 lens mount is not as strong and rugged as it might be (but that may be hearsay).

Also, what would happen if I put my Canon 100mm F2.8 IS Macro on with this adaptor? As well as behaving like a 540mm Tele will it be a long reach Macro with any useable ability?!? I imagine the DOF will be razor thin.

All suggestions/comments most appreciated.

Alister Chapman January 10th, 2011 07:33 AM

You can use an ND fader or Vari ND to control exposure to some degree but at longer focal lengths these can soften the image a bit.

Sverker Hahn January 11th, 2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 1604043)
Also, what would happen if I put my Canon 100mm F2.8 IS Macro on with this adaptor? As well as behaving like a 540mm Tele will it be a long reach Macro with any useable ability?!? I imagine the DOF will be razor thin.

All suggestions/comments most appreciated.

You could get problems finding your motives. Do you have some kind of aiming device? You could get a red dot ... (not the laser ones - used by hunters) - something and put on the cold shoe.

I suggest a 50 mm macro - even with that one you may have aiming problems. BTW - zooms are good for finding the birds, bugs or whatever you are after before they leave the area ...

Andy Wilkinson January 11th, 2011 10:12 AM

Thanks for the replies guys!