DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   New EX recording devices on the horizon! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/328299-new-ex-recording-devices-horizon.html)

Jamie Roberts September 9th, 2009 04:37 PM

I might be a little slow on the uptake here but how much storage capacity will the 1.8" SSD drive have? Is it like the current adapter solution where you stick in SDHC cards or does it have a inbuilt storage capacity like a regular portable hard drive?

Bob Grant September 9th, 2009 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie Roberts (Post 1333060)
I might be a little slow on the uptake here but how much storage capacity will the 1.8" SSD drive have? Is it like the current adapter solution where you stick in SDHC cards or does it have a inbuilt storage capacity like a regular portable hard drive?

I don't know what capacity the SSD drive will have. If I recall correctly the camera can only address 64GB anyway so I'd imagine a 1.8" drive will be able to supply as much storage as the camera can address. A SSD (Solid State Disk) is the same functionally as a portable hard drive except it has no moving parts. The basic storage technology is the same as what's used in the SxS, SHDC cards etc. The interface is different and because of the larger size the capacity can be made larger. Also more smarts to manage the memory can be built into an SSD drive than a card.

Jamie Roberts September 9th, 2009 10:03 PM

Thanks Bob.

If thats the case, I mean lean toward having 2 x express card adapters with the 32gig cards and not have anything hanging off the tripod. Im running 2 x 16gigs now and could settle for double!

Cheers

Jamie

Piotr Wozniacki September 10th, 2009 01:40 AM

afaik, the current camera limit is 84GB.

So, with a 32GB in another slot, you have 116 GB.

Jamie Roberts September 10th, 2009 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 1334722)

Impressive!

Vincent Oliver September 10th, 2009 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 1334722)
afaik, the current camera limit is 84GB.

Sounds impressive - just imagine if that combination failed whilst on location, that would be one hell of a screw up.

Maybe I will just stick with the 16gb cards

Piotr Wozniacki September 10th, 2009 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser (Post 1331326)
I read that in a hurry and didn't realize it was a Sony replacement. Anyway - I do love the download time with the other devices as mentioned with the SxS cards.

Yeah, for somebody using large quantities of high capacity SxS cards, the PCIe download speed is tempting and important. However, this device - as I understand it - is addressed to SDHC cards users, who have large number of high capacity SDHC combos, plus probably one or two 8 GB SxS that came with the camera.

With the latter scenario, hot-swappability with prevailing amount of GB's becomes much more important than speed with 1-2 8GB SxS's, plus when the SxS also becomes hot-swappable (albeit slower than with PCIe) - it's a real benefit!