DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Quest if you did your own firmware upgrade (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/433617-quest-if-you-did-your-own-firmware-upgrade.html)

Leonard Levy September 24th, 2009 06:57 AM

Quest if you did your own firmware upgrade

For those who did your own firmware upgrade (not sent to Sony) - Did that make your battery stop dying when left on an EX-1 that was turned off overnight?

Dano Motley September 24th, 2009 07:12 AM

how can you do it?

dano

Craig Seeman September 24th, 2009 08:29 AM

There's actually a circuit board that needs to be replaced to fix that. That was the main reason I brought my camera to Sony rather than do it myself.

Perrone Ford September 24th, 2009 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonard Levy (Post 1392059)
For those who did your own firmware upgrade (not sent to Sony) - Did that make your battery stop dying when left on an EX-1 that was turned off overnight?

Worked for me. I thought I'd have to send it off to get the aforementioned circuit board, but didn't. It will still drain the battery, but it now takes a week, versus overnight.

Boyd Ostroff September 24th, 2009 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 1392613)
It will still drain the battery, but it now takes a week, versus overnight.

That is interesting. I bought my EX1 from B&H in July. I have noticed that the battery dies after a week or so, but haven't attempted to do any controlled test. When this has happened, the battery was only 50% charged at the beginning. I never saw this happen on my VX-2000, PDX-10 or HVR-Z1.

Perrone Ford September 24th, 2009 08:31 PM

Very different battery technology in the EXx batteries .

Leonard Levy September 29th, 2009 01:18 PM

Craig,

I'm the guy who posted on DVinfo.net about my EX-1 not booting. I've sent it to a 3rd party repair company that seems to be going through board after board looking for a short.

Where did you hear that Sony changed a circuit board when doing the firmware update? Is there someone I can call directly about that?

My repair place doesn't seem to know anything about it.

I sent this as a private email as well.

Lenny

Craig Seeman September 29th, 2009 02:17 PM

If you report the Battery Drain issue when you bring in your camera for Firmware Upgrade they'll replace the circuit board (two I believe) that fixes the drain issue for not additional charge. It was listed on my service report I got from Sony.

I'd note that the issue you're experience may well be in software/firmware and not hardware though. When I got my camera back I had an odd problem where I couldn't play out of the component or SDI with one setting (I forget which one) and switching that prevented me from reviewing clips in camera. I drove back to Sony (only 30 minutes away) and the redid the firmware update while I waited and that fixed the issue.

Leonard Levy September 29th, 2009 02:24 PM

Was there any number listed for the circuit boards on your service report?

Lenny