DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   "Hawaii Goes Fishing" with the Sony EX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/466641-hawaii-goes-fishing-sony-ex1.html)

Tim Polster November 5th, 2009 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Sensui (Post 1439854)
That's a very high quality production. You took great advantage of the scenery and handled the exposure as I would: maintain highlight detail.

Hey Dean, Thanks for sharing. As mentioned, great camera work.

Does your grip get tired handholding the EX-1 for a whole show? It is kind of heavy.

I have sort of a counterpoint to maintaining highlight detail.

By no means am I a fan of blown out highlights, but I also feel it is important to get as bright as possible skin exposure of your subjects, especially when there is no lighting to create a ratio.

The reason I say this is is that these newer HD cameras like the EX-1 or HPX-500 really can have a strong knee which allows for greater exposure for skin tones while retaining the highs. This has been one of the best attributes of upgrading to HD production in my opinion.

I know you are aware of this as you are very knowledgeable as shown in your past posts, but I thought your video could have benfitted from a little more exposure for the subjects' faces. The scenery sort of overpowered them from a subject point of view.

Although, often video exposed for television looks a bit under when displayed on the web, so that might be at play here as well.

Just my impression, hope it is taken in the same constructive spirit which it was given!

Dean Sensui November 6th, 2009 04:55 AM

Tim...

Thanks for the critique. Always good to hear another point of view.

After a while I got a bit accustomed to the EX1's weight. I get it off my shoulder when I can as a matter of pacing for the day. In 2007 I had surgery which pretty much sliced all the way through all of my back muscles, but I'm able to function despite that -- the surgeon did a great job of putting it back where it belongs. Most of it :-)

I do a lot with curve-type controls in post. Sometimes it's not possible to get optimal exposure on faces. In this type of show it's a balance between people and their surroundings. My guiding principle is to get as much dynamic range as possible into the image. I'll darken and lighten selected areas.

Sometimes it's not practical to track a face that's in shadow, so that becomes a casualty of the situation. Most folks wear baseball caps, and the sun will put that into shadow. There's no chance for a reflector and on-camera lights aren't powerful enough to provide enough illumination. But despite those situations, the EX1 does a remarkable job of maintaining shadow detail.

I've had situations where someone wearing a baseball cap and sitting under a bimini top is back-lighted by sunlight off the water. Yet you can still see the person's face! It's taken me a while to truly trust the camera's capabilities. Fortunately I'm the editor and post-production colorist. So I know what can be squeezed out of what might seem like a hopeless situation.

And then, sometimes it IS a hopeless situation!

Aloha,

Tim Polster November 6th, 2009 08:20 AM

I agree, this EX-1 is quite a tool. Amazing what you can get out of this $6,000 camera.

Your show has been going for a while. Are you the creator?

If you are it must be rewarding for you to see it be successful.

Dean Sensui November 7th, 2009 04:51 AM

Hi Tim...

The show has been on since 2004, but it traces its lineage to the 1960s. I've been putting the show together virtually solo since the beginning of 2008.

I wear a lot of hats. Although I have two people helping with some of the editing, I do all of the shooting (aside from an occasional clip from outside sources and the multi-cam shoots). I also write the scripts, do all the post-production and the website.

Our host, Cindy, is actually a broadcast journalist. I'm hoping to have her produce some of the stories. Would be nice to collaborate at that level, where she's more than just on-camera talent.

This show is something I sort of inherited by attrition. I do take it seriously, but I hope I don't take myself too seriously. This seems to be a nice combination of outdoor activity, geeky tech stuff and art. And as I told someone, you have to like fishing, camping and -- most of all -- people.

Aloha,

Tim Polster November 7th, 2009 11:01 PM

Best of luck!

Cade Muhlig May 10th, 2010 09:43 PM

really nice. that's basically what I do... all of it. lol