DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Thinking of getting a SBAC-US10 SXS Card Reader (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/466980-thinking-getting-sbac-us10-sxs-card-reader.html)

Barry J. Weckesser November 3rd, 2009 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean (Post 1442080)
OK Barry, thanks for the tip.

I'll have a look around.

Here is the same thing as the Siig only in white (I have one of these also): -they ship to Northern Ireland for $ 37.00 (U.S.) + $ 49.99 for the unit itself.

PCIe to ExpressCard 34/54 Bay (1-Slot Card Drive / Adapter) for Desktop Computer

Anthony McErlean November 3rd, 2009 08:39 AM

Thanks for the link Barry.

Barry J. Weckesser November 3rd, 2009 08:58 AM

You are welcome. It has been awhile since I have used this to download since I use Nanoflash now and download with a USB reader from the CF cards. From what I can remember the Expresscard adaptor is 2-3 x as fast as the SBAC reader.

One thing you have to remember - you have to do the "scan for hardware changes" under device manager both when you remove a card and then when you reinsert the card. It is an annoyance but just takes a few seconds compared with a BIG time savings in downloading from the SxS cards.

You mentioned before about dowloading to more than one hard drive - consider Shotput Pro - downloads up to 3 hard drives in the same time as one hard drive. I would say that you could download a 32 GB SxS card to two hard drives in under 15 minutes - of course then you wouldn't have the excuse for a "pint of Guiness" sooo.........

Anthony McErlean November 3rd, 2009 09:37 AM

[QUOTE=Barry J. Weckesser;1442152... of course then you wouldn't have the excuse for a "pint of Guiness" sooo.........[/QUOTE]

LOL :)

Thanks once again Barry. I'll check out Shotput Pro.

Anthony McErlean November 3rd, 2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Kellett (Post 1441725)
...then i transfer from sxs to sdhc in camera, then offload that shot with the sdhc>usb reader.

Paul.

Paul, out of curiosity how do you copy from SxS to sdhc with the camera.

I see you can copy one clip but how would you copy all clips in one go?

Paul Kellett November 3rd, 2009 11:05 AM

It's not possible to copy all clips at once in the EX1, however it is possible in the new EX1-R, hopefully with a future firmware upgrade it will be possible for the EX1 and EX3 to copy all clips at once.
Apparently the future firmware upgrades will be user done.

Paul.

Anthony McErlean November 3rd, 2009 11:20 AM

Thanks Paul.

Anthony McErlean November 3rd, 2009 12:52 PM

Hi Mark, Any details.

Brett Sherman November 9th, 2009 09:06 AM

This is one reason I love the SDHC workflow. It's a lot more flexible when transfering footage. Using an SDHC USB adapter is fast enough for me, in fact it's faster than connecting your camera via USB. I just got a 13" MBP and SDHC works perfectly with that without an adapter. If I was using SxS media I'd have to connect up the camera. To me the SBAC-US10 is useless since it's not buss powered. I'd rather use the camera so it can be battery powered.

I do believe you're right about ExpressCard being on the way out on laptops. The Memory Stick solution is great since it's a Sony supported alternative to SxS. Once it's available, I might switch to that.

Anthony McErlean November 9th, 2009 11:19 AM

Thanks Brett, for your input. I'm starting to think along the lines of a laptop, one with an eSATA port as well, handy for copying to my eSATA external H.Drive.

I was looking at this...

Acer Aspire 5739G Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.10GHz 15.6" LED Laptop